• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Asian People and Dog Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
As this forum is a mixture of cultures I wondered if there's anyone out there that can answer a question for me. Is there anything in Asian culture that would explain a dislike of dogs? When I walk my dog many Asian people will cross the road to avoid me. Any ideas? What's the reason? I dont understand it.

I don't know what part of Asia your referring to but.. From serving in Afghanistan.. I learnt that Muslims consider dogs unclean. They aren't allowed to touch dogs. Even if a dog brushes up against them, they have to go home and change.

My Ex sister in law is Korean and she hated dogs also, she felt that if you owned a dog that it should be kept outdoors at all times. I don't agree on this of course and we had many a debate on this one, mine sleep with me. lol

Thanks Sapper, that might be it, I didn't know that but it would make sense. These people could well be Muslims. I dont know but I would guess most would originally be from India or Pakistan or that general area of Asia.

I was just discussing this with my wife and she mentioned India.. she was there for a year as a student. She said that in India, there's lots of dogs running wild on the streets and people are often attacked by them, so that might be it too.

Also consider that in China, Korea and Vietnam, they eat dog.

Yes, but these people dont look like they are going to eat my dog! They are either frightened or disgusted by it. One or the other or both. It makes me feel uncomfortable too. Its pretty extreme to pull your young child into the road to avoid me and my dog.

Gosh sounds like it's all very uncomfortable just taking your dog for a walk! A lot of people are scared of dogs, my mum is phobic of them. There's been a lot of publicity the last year in England about dogs that attack as well. But this cultural aspect is interesting...

I notice a difference in parts of the country with attitude towards dogs and dog walkers. In London, all the dogs are on leads mostly, and people are more scared of them. The chav's have their pit bulls, staffs etc. off lead and it's used as part of an intimidation act. Up north, everyone has dogs and I go to the park just to watch them all running around, sniffing each others butts (the dogs this is), flopping their ears and wagging their tails and they look so happy! In London I seem to see more dogs being yanked away & pulled along! But there is more greenery up here, than in London. When I was down South in Cornwall, there were so many dogs I saw a day, and each i saw was a compeletely different breed- from huskies, to cross bred wolves, to sausage dogs! And all the owners were really friendly, and everyone seemed to go and have a chat with the owner and to pet the dog.

I guess London shows it's stiff upper lip and unfriendly attitude even when it comes to walking dogs.

I can't help it. I have to reply because this thread cracks me up. My dad is from China. Believe me, I am not in the slightest bit offended. I have a little experience of the Chinese culture. I can only offer my observations and best guess regarding Asian people and dog walking.

My dad and his family never had pets. And, yes, in some Asian cultures, dogs and cats are eaten. It makes me gag to imagine my dad ever doing so! I don't know if he ever did and I don't want to know.

We always had pets growing up. However, my dad's family seemed tolerant of them but didn't necessarily care for them. I think perhaps in the Asian culture, domestication of animals is a difficult concept to grasp. It definitely isn't one that is a part of their culture. So perhaps, seeing a dog in their vicinity, they are more inclined to see a wild, untamed animal instead of a domesticated, tame, cute, furry Fido.

Just my thoughts on this. Tude

Thanks Tude, its good to hear your views. In Britain people in general think its disgusting that the french eat horses.

Everyones different I guess!

Yes, Lisa, your observations are pretty acurate. I guess its harder for me because I'm not from the town I living in now. My previous home was more like you describe Cornwall. Now I have a 'chav' dog but because he's a lovely, friendly dog and I've trained him I dont fit the stereotype. Plus I dont have the right gear myself obviously! I think this is teaching me how so many people live in fear and believe what the papers and media say. Its such a shame. They say more people are bitten by retrievers than any other breed. There's a lot more fear in town than in the country.

Over in those countries dogs are dirty and diseased.

Claire, if those folks have a problem with it, too bad. Your dog is your business. Walk him all you want, don't let those (expletives removed) bother you. If they don't like England, they can get the hell out and go back to their 3rd word cesspool.

That is the attitude I have had with foreigners here in America. If you're visiting, visit and have fun. If you're here as an immigrant, you best learn to peacefully co-exist or you can always go back.

Its not only Asian people that have a problem with the dog. I asked the question regarding Asians as I wanted to learn if there was anything specific that they might believe. Out of the people I pass in the street, they have the must extreme reaction, in my experiences.

This isn't just about people from different countries and cultures though, its about peoples fears. As fear is such a major part of PTSD its making me think about more general fears, extreme or not, that other people exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back