• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Asian People and Dog Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know exactly what kind of dog is a "chav?" I looked it up, and came up with Pit bull terrier mix. If it is a pit bull mix....that could also be part of the problem. Just the breed of dog, no matter how friendly, people see a certain breed and freak out.

Odd.... I know Asian decents who own dogs here.... little one's though, not big one's. Maybe it is a fear of the larger animals? Will have to ask!

Just wanted to know exactly what kind of dog is a "chav?" I looked it up, and came up with Pit bull terrier mix. If it is a pit bull mix....that could also be part of the problem. Just the breed of dog, no matter how friendly, people see a certain breed and freak out.

Sorry She Cat 'chav' is a slang word in England for people who generally hang out on the streets in gangs, wearing a certain style of clothing, smoking, drinking on street corners... tend to be into petty crime, usually teens. Often wearing tracksuit clothing, and burberry caps, polo shirts, tracksuit bottoms (pulled down to show boxers) is the token association!... rather stereotypical I'm afraid, however people are intimidated by the stereotype. A bit like boys in hooded sweaters hanging out and looking intimidating around the streets.

However, yes, the pit bull terrier is the 'chav accessory dog' associated with 'chav's!'... as I said it's rather stereotypical, however that is what you mean and what I mean... people see a certain breed that is stereotyped, and they freak out!

Though I would like to vouch that Claire is not a chav!

Thanks Lisa! But yes, I guess I do have a 'chav' dog. He's a staffy though not a pit bull and the reason I got him has nothing to do with he breed at all. He's a smashing dog, a real character and full of fun and energy. Shame people believe in what they hear in the media. He's so obviously not aggressive. If he was I wouldn't have him. I dont want or need a weapon.

There's so much I dont believe in that people let run there lives. One of them is the 'chav' stereotype. Lisa is spot on in her description but I've never had any trouble from kids hanging round whether they're in hoodies or not. Its an item of clothing! Like skin heads in the 80s, punks 70's, mods/rockers etc. etc. Every decade has its public enemy number 1. Its just another vehicle for fear.

Here he is for you to see. Be afraid, be very afraid, he might just lick you!

Attachments

• DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 222
Claire,

He is a sweetie, but it could be his size & breed that scares some people. I for one am not afraid of dogs. I actually take care of many different dogs for people that I know.

He really is a good looking dog!!!!! Thanks for clarifying.

Claire, repeat this to yourself-
This is me.
This is my doggie.
You best be scared.

:)

Beautiful Pup you got there. I bet its due to his size, they are probably intimidated and figure why tempt fate. Don't lose any sleep over it...

Hi Claire,

Thanks for starting this thread, as I have wondered the same thing on occasion.
Funny part is... I believe we both have the same breed of dog, LOL
My dog "Mr. Bear" looks just like your baby, except with a strip of white running around his ears and to his nose.

For some reason even though the general "AmStaff" (American Staffordshire Terrier) are supposed to be 40-50lbs,
mine is easily 100lbs!

I did not get him because he looks scary,
I rescued him and 4 other pups from a large litter where the owners didn't care what happened to them.

He is the biggest sucky baby, lol
Wouldn't hurt a fly!
Doesn't bark, and is extremely obedient (he has to be, 'cause he's bigger than me!)

Normally people don't move out of my way,
nor move their children,
but two houses down from me an Asian (not being racist!) family will go into their house if I'm outside with him.
It always 'caused me to wonder why.

Hummmm . . . . now if I weighed 110 lbs and saw an animal coming toward me that equaled my weight. . . . being I'm an American I may not cross the street . . . but I might step to the side and let the dog and his/her mistress pass by . . . . peace pooch, peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back