• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ask a foreigner

Many Europeans like to travel around by train. Also cars.

Might be different from country to country, but unless you're going the full length North-South or to an island, flying inter-continental isn't that common for vacation, in my experience.

When I was living in the UK, it never occurred to me to fly from where I was living to say London. Always train. Distances are just shorter. In the US, flying is a pretty normal means of travel, though as has been pointed out, really not that cheap actually.

When I was living in the UK, it was like 20 quid return to London (as a student). Flying wasn't even an option since...no airport anywhere close. That's another difference to the US - pretty much every little village has an airport. That's just not a thing in Europe, so unless you're living in any of the larger cities...train or car is cheaper and faster (because first you'd need to get to the airport, than you have all the time you need to consider for checkin, security, ...)

I always felt here in the US flying is a totally common and normal public transport option (even for such short distances as NYC-DC, which everyone in Europe would just drive; but mostly because of the large geographic distances) - while in Europe it's just not. And for cheap flights, you'd need an airport that services one of the low cost carriers, which really isn't that many...in my personal experience, domestic flying is cheaper in the US than in Europe, and similar to train travel in Europe.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's fair. I live in Glasgow so two airports right beside me. N Scottish trains seem to be more expensive than English trains (IME from living in England. Although maybe I just travel further when I'm here. Or that was ten years ago. I'm not sure. Unfair comparison :laugh: )

Back