• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ask a foreigner

Dogs in north England don't seem to wear collars at all.
Is that right?
Is that how it's always been? Or just because they're all microchipped? Or...???

A dog in these parts with no collar is usually a stray. Their collars have their local council registration tag on them (pretty much Australia-wide I think).

My dog doesn't wear one at home, but I'm odd like that. Most dogs here wear their collar all the time.

Dogs in north England don't seem to wear collars at all.
Wherever did you hear that? I've never heard this or had this impression. I should have thought the vast majority of digs have collars and leads, with just a very few very well behaved exceptions.

Looks like its a legal requirement for dogs to have collars

Yes- but not a requirement to wear them at home. Mine don’t wear collars , I have had the misfortune of knowing of two dogs who died in collar related accidents. Also show dogs ( neither of mine show) don’t tend to wear collars when not out because of coat damage.

ours have their collars and leads by the door to put on when we go out , and harnesses( seat beats) in the car. But round the farm etc they do not wear a collar.

That's the turning lane. If you have to turn left, you get into that lane before you turn so you're not blocking the flow of traffic.
@Teasel also known as the suicide lane & the chicken lane. Because cars from both sides of the street can use it to turn. Head on collisions & side swipes are actually fairly rare, but they do happen.

In California a double yellow line is illegal to cross, so sometimes you’ll note that lane is double yellow on one side, but solid&dashed on the other. That means only the side with the dashes is allowed to enter/exit the lane.

Other times you’ll see it’s double yellow on both sides... that means it’s illegal for ANY car to get into it, and is usually because it’s narrower than a full lane -or- is about to become something else... like when it narrows to non-existence and a turn lane for one side or the other is appears.

Different states have different laws about double yellow, solid/dashed yellow, dashed yellow, solid white, and dashed white. The only nationwide truism with paint is that yellow splits the traffic directions. So if you see yellow lines? You KNOW there are 2 directions of traffic. But it’s not required to use yellow to split the traffic. Many states &/or cities only use white paint.

One of the first things I do when I’m driving into a new state is stop by the DMV (department of motor vehicles) or DOL (department of licensing) and pick up their drivers test study booklet. Which has all the local road laws bullet pointed. You don’t need a new licence for every state you drive in, but it sure as hell saves on traffic tickets to not be following the wrong state’s laws!!! Most laws are roughly the same... but street paint, u-turns, right of way, and horn usage vary tremendously. My mom? ♥️ HEARTS ♥️ Boston... because she uses her horn to “talk” to other drivers, and that’s normal driving there. She’s gotten tickets in Seattle, meanwhile, for even using her horn during an accident as horns are for emergency use only (in Seattle) and she wasn’t in the accident, only attempting to warn others that they were about to be in an accident.
In most inner-cities, the turning lane is ALSO used by delivery trucks to “park” to make their deliveries. As long as they leave their engine running (which means they’re not technically parking, but “standing”) it’s not illegal. Because there aren’t enough car parks nor street parking to allow them to make their deliveries, and the size of the trucks means they can’t even utilize what there IS available. 🚚 But different cities have different rules around delivery trucks. On most of the west coast, they use the turning lane... but in the northeast (especially New York City) they “double park” which means parking beside the line of parked cars, in the driving lane, and people actually driving have to go around them. Often by driving into oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind? Our traffic laws were originally written/concieved just prior to & during the Revolutionary War... so a LOT of our laws are the opposite of British laws... to make it “legal” to run down British troops (They were on the wrong side of the road, your honor! They didn’t give way, as we were turning, your honor! But we’re town A not town B! If they can’t even be bothered to learn the local laws, we can’t be held responsible for their disrespectful flouting of the judiciary, Your honor!).

Our laws have streamlined a lot since then, but a LOT will still seem backwards to British drivers.

Some East Coast cities/towns take peculiar enjoyment from keeping those traditions alive. Even centuries later? Carriage & bus tours of the city launch into detailed accounts of “we thwarted the British with their own laws!”, even extending to memorial plaques of this or that road “accident”, wiping out x-many redcoats, and causing y-damage to the carriage/wagon/etc. that plowed through them. 15 dead, 22 wounded, 1 broken axel. 9 dead, 40 wounded. Some paint marred. 40 dead, 3 wounded, no visible damage. <<< Making up the numbers, here, but I used to have a collection of Polaroids taken of “funny” plaques on walking tours.

The crossover fork thing, though, is all British doing 😉 During the same time period it was made illegal for colonists to hold a knife in their right hand at any time, except whilst eating, but only for the minimum amount of time it took to cut a bite off. Then the knife had to be placed down and a fork placed IN the right hand. Or it was legal to shoot or hang the colonist for being a threat. So, to this day, we STILL do the crossover fork/knife thing. No idea why we kept at it, except that whatever one learns as a kid? Seems to be the “right” way to eat.

Last edited:
Back