• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Atheist unite!!

I shouldn't laugh at that Jewish bit but here I am. People minding human rights of ancient peoples are pretty good motivators & no hope in humanity lost.

What are all y'all favorite philosophers where non existence of God et all is concerned?

Since I'd know hellton religious philosophers, but atheist ones bringing chuckles that ain't simultanously annoyingly political, I could use a recommending hand.

Awesome. :)

As Voltaire I read through & found him both seriously ahead of era and hilarious, but of others I'd known / read only Dawkins and other than liking the angle as unconventional, wasn't terribly impressed.

So more reading to do, thank you Bells. ;)

I do see where you are coming from re Dawkins. I do feel he has certainly made some questionable statements over the years.

Besides that, Dawkins' expertise are in evolutionary biology and ethology, and while I do really appreciate the science-intellectual approach he takes to most things, in terms of words (heard/read) that stick with you for weeks/months/years, I definitely notice a difference between Dawkins and, say, Hitchens, whose expertise lay in words, or as he put it "I make my living by scrutinising words, it's what I do". And so he did.

Hitchens was not a philosopher either (he was an orator and journalist), but he offers tremendously eloquent thoughts on philosophy (for instance, Christopher Hitchens on how Socrates outlasts Jesus, among many many other videos/quotes that are out there).

Thanks for the question btw, Ro. Brought a real warm spark of joy to my evening; appreciated. :)

Last edited:
I think Celsus's arguments against Christianity, written at the very beginning of Christianity and ironically only saved as quotes in the earliest Christian apology works, are the very baseline of fighting Christian dogma.

A little while ago I was invited to a lunch that was put on by part of my university, and before we could eat, the person running the lunch asked for the food to be blessed. Then we were all asked to bow our heads, while a prayer was said.

I'm sorry... what?
I was pretty confident that I had not accidentally ended up at the Christian club.

I was at a lunch
at a university
where people practice, y'know, critical thinking.

So why on earth are you making me wait to eat, in order to appeal to one of the many thousands of gods that has been created by humankind throughout our existence, with this one in particular being an evil, homophobic, misogynistic, narcissistic, jealous, spiteful, totalitarian dictator-of-a-god.

At least your god gave me a brain so I could think for myself (and look out at the world instead of down at my feet.)

Anyone here besides me getting pretty concerned about the QAnon cult?

It IS a cult, featuring a shadowy leader (who I suspect has an office in the Kremlin) who communicates through "Q drops," and manages to make his followers believe Trump, the new Messiah, is saying exactly the opposite of what he's saying. Anyone who can make a President who "wishes well" the highest-profile pedophile in generations into some kind of savior of trafficked children (who don't even actually exist) is VERY good at what they do.

Individual cult members are harmless (until they vote, I guess, or storm pizza joints brandishing assault rifles), but there are more and more and more of them, and they're beginning to take over the Republican Party. I had to drive into the suburbs today and I saw three giant pickup trucks with "Q" stickers on them, all at different times. (One had a Q inside the outline of a rabbit which is weird, but I'm not going to look that up.)

Should I worry? Or am I just wasting my time lying awake at night worrying about a group with far less influence than and just as much nefariousness as, say, the Catholics or the Assemblies of God?

Last edited:
Anyone here besides me getting pretty concerned about the QAnon cult?
I actually hadn't heard of it, but then again I don't use social media/watch news, and I live on a tiny island in the middle of the south Pacific...

The thing with religions and cults like this that concerns me is the combination of the message they're spreading and the amount of power the group has.

Power being both political influence, and the number of people belonging to the religion/cult.

I worry about Sharia law to some degree, but as long as it's not being implemented in countries that I'm potentially going to visit/live in, then I try to not fixate on it too much.

Maybe similar could apply with the QAnon group for you?

I don't worry about shariah the same. Depends how it's implemented. Depends the culture of the concrete country. Depends a... lot of things. 'Sharia law' is a quite a wide term.

Some places just make me go "Aww... interesting dress code, here. ;) Someone help me tie the hijab right so I don't bother the cis guys' wandering eyes, or somethin', here"... but that's the same darn thing as "wouldn't piss off my Jews in Israel with the shemagh I wear usually as other troops solidarity... thing." Just local customs & courtesies, to me, not really infringing on my rights or freedoms.

QAnon, I missed out on & didn't read. Gotta look that up so thanks for the tip SRG :tup:

You said it yourself "individuals harmless". I'd roll with *that*, if in doubt - a political cult is just that. Any other cult. Sure you'll find a few lunatics with it, or with time. But the whole thing? Hard to predict. Trust your gut on safety of you and yours and people you *need* to worry for. The rest? Nah... not worth losing already spare sleep over, in my view. ;)

Last edited:
Mum's, this is an atheist thread.

Not a conspiracy theory thread.
Or the usefulness, or not, of WikiLeaks thread.
Yeah, so rumours about Q should be left out too, especially when they are total and utter BS.

THAT of @somerandomguy was a conspiracy theory, if ever I heard one, regarding the intel known as Q so maybe you should let him know, as well, what this thread ISN'T about.

Back