• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Brain Mapping???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that there's no physical abuse - administering medication which hasn't been prescribed for you and isn't medically assessed as necessary is poisoning, which is very definitely physical abuse.

I get that you need to stay until you graduate, are you able to make plans to leave soon after? Are there folk who will help you at that point or are they really just crisis people? The thread has gone way off topic, but brain mapping is the least of your issues tbh. If I were you I'd go through the motions, as long as there's nothing physically harmful and not think about diagnosis and what may be going on with you until you're able to move somewhere safe.

hey guys I have a question: will getting my brain mapped help doctors be abel to tell wether I...
I've had brain mapping done and the packet clearly states that it is not to be used for diagnostic purposes. The brain mapping I had done was more about identifying certain tasks that my brain might have trouble with. Really what it does is it has you fill out a survey and it looks at your brain wave patterns and compares your brain waves with other people's. They compare your brain waves with those of others who have answered the survey in similar ways. It is not an exact science, but a matter of correlating trends and patterns.

@Carmen J. Brown - do you have the ability to get around on your own? Can you imagine making an appointment with your GP, and talking to them about access to mental health care and also, how your mother handled the medication?

At the age of 18, in most states in the US (if not all), your medical records are officially yours - not your guardian's. So you can see a doctor, and they are bound to respect your privacy, per HIPPA. But I think you could benefit from having an advocate who is a health care provider, and I am assuming you likely have a GP assigned to you, even if you haven't seen them in a long while.

As far as brain-mapping goes, what everyone has said is correct - it's not a diagnostic tool. There's a doctor in the US who claims it's a diagnostic tool, and he'll use his equipment to 'diagnose' all sorts of mental health conditions...but there's absolutely no hard science backing it up. He just takes peoples' money, from what I can tell.

Something you can do for yourself, whatever your diagnosis may be - is look into getting this book: Dead Link Removed

DBT is just plan helpful - especially for emotional regulation and distress tolerance, two things that are especially relevant with BPD and PTSD.

Do you have any other family that you are close to, or trust, or aren't under your mom's thumb?

I disagree that there's no physical abuse - administering medication which hasn't been prescribed for y...
I am for sure goi
@Carmen J. Brown - do you have the ability to get around on your own? Can you i...
right now I don't really have the ability to get around on my own. My mom took away my keys but is still driving me to work (although she has threatened to make me quit my job but now she can't because I have people who would drive me in case she tries to use the car as leverage again.) I am going to talk to someone who can help me next week before work. I am not really close to any other family members. There's my older step brother and sister (my dads kids) but they live like 3 hours away. My mom never let me talk to them (with her knowledge) because she didn't want me to know how bad she was to them. (Even though I already knew. I just wanted to talk to them because I'm stil related to them and stuff.) my dad didn't talk to his own kids for 5 years. And Mom didn't let me for 5 years (even when they blocked her on Facebook, when she grounded me from my Facebook, she logged into mine and started stalking all the people who blocked her) and if it were her choice now she wouldn't let me. But she doesn't know yet. I'm gonna get out as soon as I can. And thank you for the book suggestion. I will definitely read that.

Good luck. :hug:
I'm assuming the car is in her name?
They also tried to take my phone away but I hid it and lied my ass off until they stopped trying to find it. My dad is in IT and he said that he was gonna track my phone with GPS from work to find it. And I was really scared that he was gonna do it until I realized that that is actually illegal since it's MY phone plan and under MY name and it's MY bank account and MY debit card and MY password that it's under. And I'm also 18. So he ended up not doing it probably because he realized it was illegal idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back