• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

certain types of phone calls triggers overwhelming rage

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranger2myself!

Policy Enforcement
i cant handle making phone calls to businesses where they make you respond to an automated voice system, especially if its hard to get a hold of an actual human being. i get extremely extremely angry. livid doesnt even begin to describe the intensity of the rage i feel from it. I dont make phone calls to these places endless i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. otherwise i avoid it. it makes me scream, yell, cuss, and want to bust up everything in sight, and smash everything in my path. ive broken things many times because of it, and i sweat, and my body shakes too. ive seen other people get irritated when they are dealing with phone calls, but never seen anyone get nearly as pissed off as i get from it. someone use to relentlessly critisize me everytime i made a phone call, and yell at me, degrade me, make me feel like i could never say the right thing, gave me nasty looks, and was physically abusive. he is out of my life now, but i am still dealing with the intense anger. it doesnt seem to get any better with time. anyone else have this problem? does anything help? is this a personal ptsd trigger for me?

someone use to relentlessly critisize me everytime i made a phone call, and yell at me, degrade me, make me feel like i could never say the right thing, gave me nasty looks, and was physically abusive.

Yep. That would be a trigger &/or stressor, alright.

Which is good news. Because triggers can be sorted... in one of two major ways: Eliminate the trigger itself, or go after the root cause & process the trauma. Or both.

anyone else have this problem? does anything help? is this a personal ptsd trigger for me?

Hm...well, yes. I have this issue, as well. Not always, but a lot of the time. For me, it's a stress-cup-too-full thing most of the time, but it's also a trigger in that I have a very hard time with people who talk to or treat me like I'm stupid or not worth their time.

So...probably at least in part a trigger for you.

What do I do? I have severely limited the calls I make (I do nearly everything online and with email/chat) - that's not always possible, but it is probably 80-85% of the time - and I stay away from people generally (it's also an in-person trigger for me).

i cant handle making phone calls to businesses where they make you respond to an automated voice system, especially if its hard to get a hold of an actual human being. i get extremely extremely angry. livid doesnt even begin to describe the intensity of the rage i feel from it. I dont make phone calls to these places endless i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. otherwise i avoid it. it makes me scream, yell, cuss, and want to bust up everything in sight, and smash everything in my path. ive broken things many times because of it, and i sweat, and my body shakes too. ive seen other people get irritated when they are dealing with phone calls, but never seen anyone get nearly as pissed off as i get from it. someone use to relentlessly critisize me everytime i made a phone call, and yell at me, degrade me, make me feel like i could never say the right thing, gave me nasty looks, and was physically abusive. he is out of my life now, but i am still dealing with the intense anger. it doesnt seem to get any better with time. anyone else have this problem? does anything help? is this a personal ptsd trigger for me?

Yes I had this problem and still sometimes do. I have had to become careful about what I allow in my life including phone calls. Our world is complex and phone trees are real. The human brain can only tolerate so much stress. It may not be all you but other people expecting you to except 100 percent of a failed system. I no longer believe that. I also do not accept every call I get.

I hate automated systems, too. Right there with you. I got angry and slammed my phone down waiting on one....broke the Otterbox....thought that wasn't supposed to happen. Anyway, I came from an era with it's own twist on how children should behave don't be seen...nor heard" I get the same feeling from automated systems. When I was young, I'd try to say something, I'd be told to wait until it was "the right time, later...." speaking or dealing with problems...always had to wait...so I guess I just don't like waiting.....sometimes over an hour on the phone....and still often I assume again, I'll get incomplete or no resolution after wasting my time. It's gotten worse in Covid here. Automated systems are rude and impersonal...so were my parents about communicating with me. So, I realized if I say things to confuse the automated answering machine, it will put me in line to speak to a customer service agent.....I did have one admonish me for cussing at it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back