• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cymbalta Switched To Generic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallen Angel

New Here
I have been on Cymbalta since 2010. Used in combination with Clonazepam at night, it usually does pretty well keeping my depression and anxiety at bay. The Cymbalta is also dual use for me as I am a migraine sufferer.

On January 1st, they refilled my Cymbalta at the pharmacy and I realized that it had gone generic. Since then, I have not been feeling well. My anxiety level is up, I have had crying spells on and off, and my body hurts which is quite unusual. I have also been down with a migraine for the past 3 days.

To be fair, I have had a lot of environmental factors that could be contributing to worsening depression. However, what I thought was odd was I noticed a symptom I never had before... almost a form of social anxiety where I was shying away from and avoiding boisterous and loud people att my work place as they were making me very nervous. I have never been a timid person at my worst.

Has any one else experienced these symptoms switching from Cymbalta to generic? I know there is a misconception about generics and brand names being the same but the FDA allows a 20 percent variability in bioavailability. I want to give the generic a chance but wow.... I am really not feeling well. :(

After a month on the name brand Cymbalta I didn't feel depressed and my anxiety was less. Now on the generic I see a difference. My anxiety over everything is worse and so is my depression. The generic is also making me very tired. A side effect that had just worn off when I was on the name brand. I don't know if it will take more time to reach its' maximum effect since I've been on it a short time. Or if I will have to have the dose increased. I'm waiting to see my psychiatrist in late January to see what I'm like. Unless it gets worse than I'll call the doctor. While on the brand name Cymbalta I actually had energy. Now on the generic I don't. I hope we both feel better soon. I don't think the generic is as strong a medication as the name brand. Just my opinion.

I've had that happen with my Lamictal. It's "chemically the same", say some, but a lot of people can notice a difference. I noticed it right away when they switched me to generic.

Sometimes generics aren't exactly the same as name brand. I would talk to your doctor about it and see if (s)he can talk to the pharmacy/insurance company about making sure they fill it with the name brand.

Has any one else experienced these symptoms switching from Cymbalta to generic? I know there is a misconception about generics and brand names being the same but the FDA allows a 20 percent variability in bioavailability. I want to give the generic a chance but wow....

A few years ago I was prescribed Lexapro. It worked very well, then I was switched to the generic, which did not work as well. My doctor claimed the medication was the same; my pharmacist disagreed. I researched the matter (sorry I can't link to the spot at this time), but if I recall correctly, the bioavailability of non-generics must conform to no less than 80% of it's manufacturer's chemical "recipe" as submitted to the FDA. However, generics need to conform to only 70%. Personally, when/if I can afford the cost, I chose non-generic. I don't trust the possible 30% of fillers (crushed up cock roaches? :eek: ) might be in the generics.

I have been on the generic form of Lamictal and Cymbalta: Lamotrigine & Duloxetine. My doctor warned me if there any negative side effects. So far It has worked for me without issues. Everyone is different. I would notify your doctor sooner than later and document your side effects. I hope you find a better way to live. Maybe going back on the Non-generic is best for you. I wish you luck.
-WW

Update: Neurologist put me on Propranolol today because I was complaining that the Topamax that I have been taking as a migraine preventative was making me dumb as rocks. Neuro said the Propranolol (which will be my new migraine preventative) should help keep my anxiety level down and the panic attacks at bay because it lowers the heart rate.

Needless to say, I will be asking my GP about the Cymbalta issue when I see her for my appointment on Monday. On the upside, my fiancé scheduled me a massage tomorrow for the aches. Thanks for the replies. :)

I am so glad to see these posts about feeling lousy after being switched to generic Cymbalta. I have been taking Cymbalta for 15 years and with my doctor's help tinkered with the dose until it was just right. We'd have to tinker again if I was put on any new med, e.g., beta blocker for blood pressure or brain meds after my aneurysm rupture. Now, after the switch to generic Cymbalta, I'm more tearful, I don't feel like myself, and I feel exhausted. The exhaustion could be cumulative to my now-wonky sleep patterns--reminiscent of what would happen if I'd take my Cymbalta dose too late in the day. After it dawned on me today that all these issues could be due to taking generic Cymbalta, I talked with my pharmacist and got the FDA party line that "it's the same medication." I couldn't wait to get some time to search for forum comments on this topic, and I feel relieved now that I've read the comments here that seem to validate my suspicions about the generic. Tomorrow I will put in a call to my doctor to get the real stuff again. I absolutely cannot wait.

I am on cymbalta 30 mg. It worked till I was on branded but when I started generic in Jan 2014 I am in worst condition. Generic cymbalta does not work at all for me. Planning to go back to branded

It could also be a reverse placebo effect. in the US all a doctor has to do is write (DAW) in a little box. DAW means Dispense AsWritten.

I can say this is not true in my mother's case. She has been on Cymbalta 10 years. Her behavior has changed and she is more anxious than ever. Cannot be the placebo affect since she does not know the Cymbalta is now generic. A nurse administers it to her so we is unaware of the change. I know it changed to generic because I receive the bills to pay. I just recently made the connection to her increased agitation and when the generic med started.

I have been on cymbalta for 7 years and just switched to generic 4 days ago. I take 120 mgs/day. Since I switched I just don't feel right at all! Can't stay awake, major brain fog, with drawl symptoms like dizziness and brain zaps, just an overall off feeling. I don't have insurance right now so I have to pay cash for scripts, can't go to doctor to figure this out. So glad I found this forum to confirm that I'm not imagining this!

Indeed, after having done some finite research, I found out that there is a margin of error allowed with respect to bioavailability of generics vs brand name drugs. If you do a search of bioavailabilty of generic drugs the results are interesting.

@roaminggnome , I so agree with you. I have been on the generic since January and my moods have been terrible. I have not wanted to go outside and mingle with people like I normally do. I have appt with my doctor tomorrow and I am telling him that he has to try and get the name brand approved for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back