• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Does DSM diagnosis help with your symptoms?

Does DSM diagnosis help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWeakNotStupid

Policy Enforcement
I'm just wondering, as a person with no professional training in psychology...WELL, i did study it in college, but that doesn't always help... I've seen a lot of therapists but currently haven't been able to cross the anxiety hurdles for finding a new one...if someone telling you you have a psychiatric disorder helps relieve your anguish or PTSD symptoms.

I'm voting "I'm not diagnosed in my opinion", just because I don't consider tele-therapy surveys to be a real diagnosis, i feel like you would need to have a case worker or something to know for sure. Other people have hinted that I have aspergers, bipolar disorder, empathy or general social problems, INSOMNIA, borderline personality, emotional dysregulation, depression, etc., i just don't know how one can possibly get an accurate diagnosis for mental health problems.

When I went to the doctor one time with a cough,fever,not feeling well,etc.,I was diagnosed with bronchitis. Did the diagnosis relieve my anguish? Yes because I knew what was causing my symptoms. Did it relieve my symptoms? No because it's the treatment that helps,not the diagnosis.

In answer to your question,it's pretty much like that....

I didn't vote btw...

It helped me because I wasn't feeling like I was walking in a way that wasn't for me. Also that opened me doors for autism. Place that are reserved for us

Still for autism that selected therapists who actually understands what I was living. That showed me symptoms I would never notice otherwise

I voted yes. I personally have felt it has been helpful to find vocabulary for what I’ve been experiencing. It’s not quite like that now because psychology terminology has made its way into the mainstream. Which I genuinely thought would be a good thing but…well it’s been a shit show let’s be honest. I saw someone ask another person who was a burns victim to put a trigger warning on their pictures what the f*ck? Gaslighting 🫠 anyone who disagrees with you online is gaslighting somehow /s.

I found it helpful to find vocabulary to describe what I was experiencing and to find coping strategies for it. To find community to stop taking negatively about myself. I’m not stupid I’m struggling with dissociative symptoms and need to ground. I’m not lazy I’m experiencing a depressive episode, it will pass. Etc.

I feel like it’s important because what’s great for one thing is literally torture for another diagnosis. Unfortunately people are forced to take matters into their own hands with their mental health due to waiting lists or money constraints. Which is absurd I wouldn’t attempt to give myself a cast on a broken leg. But I’m forced to trouble shoot mental health symptoms on my own no with supervision from a therapist at some points in my life.

I voted yes. I personally have felt it has been helpful to find vocabulary for what I’ve been experiencing. It’s not quite like that now because psychology terminology has made its way into the mainstream. Which I genuinely thought would be a good thing but…well it’s been a shit show let’s be honest. I saw someone ask another person who was a burns victim to put a trigger warning on their pictures what the f*ck? Gaslighting 🫠 anyone who disagrees with you online is gaslighting somehow /s.

I found it helpful to find vocabulary to describe what I was experiencing and to find coping strategies for it. To find community to stop taking negatively about myself. I’m not stupid I’m struggling with dissociative symptoms and need to ground. I’m not lazy I’m experiencing a depressive episode, it will pass. Etc.

I feel like it’s important because what’s great for one thing is literally torture for another diagnosis. Unfortunately people are forced to take matters into their own hands with their mental health due to waiting lists or money constraints. Which is absurd I wouldn’t attempt to give myself a cast on a broken leg. But I’m forced to trouble shoot mental health symptoms on my own no with supervision from a therapist at some points in my life.
Gaslighting is pretty rough concept, to me, that just sounds like the person was "canceling" you in modern terms, or just overly worried, maybe they were asseting "boundaries" because a therapist told them to do it. I tend to think of gaslighting as a plot of some sort, like, in an abusive relationship, someone telling you that you are ________ just so you stop criticizing the way they treat you.

and as far as mental health...to be honest, i've put a decent amount of effort to find psychology help over this "pandemic period" and i haven't even gotten on a waiting list. Part of it is my fault, i haven't had the greatest attitude towards therapists, but i also don't really want to seek professional help anymore. I was in therapy for years and tried meds. The therapy was very helpful at first, but i ended up getting confused about what my problems were and eventually i had to stop going. The only meds i've tried that were helpful were sleeping medications.

I was diagnosed when I was going through the court system for abuse. How you survive that without PTSD is beyond me. However I was also discussing the abuse for the first time in my life and dealing with a lot of other stressors. You pretty much could’ve ticked every box in the DSM manual. I had to take meds both to make me sleep and keep me from falling asleep at any given moment. I was barely functioning. The diagnosis didn’t help but then nothing did.

When it came back up 20 years later I’d forgotten so the diagnosis hit me hard because I didn’t want to be that person again. But it explains all those little things, and its better than going crazy as an explanation. However at the same time before recently I didn’t realize that the diagnosis is life long and now I have evidence to believe that it will be.

Being diagnosed with PTSD was a complete and utter surprise to me. At the time I was diagnosed, I thought the only men with PTSD were combat survivors. But I had to admit a lot of the puzzle pieces suddenly fell into place once I started looking into my diagnosis.
Lots of things can cause ptsd...humiliation, getting into fights, car accidents, normal "parental discipline", verbal abuse, psychological warfare, sexual mistreatment or abuse.

Humiliation: cannot cause PTSD
Fights: can cause PTSD
Car accidents: can cause PTSD
Normal parental discipline: depends on what you mean by this, but normal reasonable discipline cannot cause PTSD
Verbal abuse: can cause PTSD, if threatened with death, injury, or sexual violence
Psychological warfare: unsure what this means
Sexual mistreatment: doesn't necessarily cause PTSD, depending on what you mean by this
Sexual abuse: can cause PTSD

Criterion A: stressor (one required)
The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, in the following way(s):

Direct exposure
Witnessing the trauma
Learning that a relative or close friend was exposed to a trauma
Indirect exposure to aversive details of the trauma, usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, medics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back