• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Earth-centered Spirituality: Pagan, Wiccan, Druid, Native American, Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank you @BloomInWinter for starting this thread. It is exactly what I needed. While I have traditional beliefs I also, feel very drawn to Native American beliefs. There are other beliefs that I appreciate too. But, something about Native American beliefs really resonate with me.

I would like to explain a few things. I'm adopted. And as a result I never knew exactly what my ethnicities were. When I was a little kid I had gone to church and been baptized. I felt a closeness to God and Jesus. We didn't go to church regularly so, some of the traditions weren't practiced at home. We didn't pray before dinner every night or anything like that.

When I was about 6 we moved to a different state. And it was there that I started getting exposed to Native American images and hearing things about how Native Americans lived. I was immediately curious and had a lot of questions. Many years later about 5 years ago in fact I did a DNA a test. I was extremely excited to see that I have some Native American in me. It's such a small amount though. And once again I wasn't "enough" of something. I wanted to learn study and explore all that I could. I don't want to falsely represent myself or show any amount of disrespect or make anyone feel like I was mocking Native Americans. I don't say I'm Native American. I say that have some Native American ancestry.

I have always felt like everything makes sense in nature. I feel at peace in nature. I tell people I don't have to go to church to find God. I only have to go outside. I also, started trauma therapy 5 years ago. And in my most anxious triggered sad or angry moments I would go outside. I would watch the birds. I would listen to the leaves when the breeze would pass between them. And every time I'd find I was able to take a deep breath and slow down.

One day my dad pointed out an area where a pair of mated bald eagles had a nest. I would sometimes watch them with binoculars or take pictures of them. Until one day when I was very anxious I went outside. I needed to calm down. I looked around and then I looked up. Just above my head was a very big and beautiful bird. It was hovering on an air current. It seemed like it was completely still. I went inside and grabbed my camera and when I came back outside it was still there. I got all the pictures I could of it. I looked at the markings and then went online searching for this kind of bird. It was a red tailed hawk.

From that day I looked for the hawk. And I began to notice a pattern. When I'd be very upset and go outside and just sit eventually the red tailed hawk would show up. Sometimes it circled above my head. Sometimes it perched on a nearby pole. One day 2 of them flew in a circle near me with one of them periodically looking over at me and calling. I started noticing thre same thing with the bald eagles. Every time I came home from therapy they would be there pearched. Sometimes one of them and sometimes both of them.

One day I stepped onto our deck looked up at the sky and I asked God out loud "what is it what is it that I'm missing what am I not seeing". And as soon as the words left my mouth I saw a shadow and looked up. A bald eagle flew in from the east over my head flew out in front of me a short distance circled and continued flying into the west. I smiled and said "ok God". I went back inside but, not before I thanked God and the eagle. Whenever I see the birds I thank God and I thank the bird.

There is one more bird who comes to me. An osprey. It sits on top of the pine tree just off of our deck just outside my bedroom window and calls. When I hear it I go out onto the deck and say "hi osprey". Sometimes it stays for a period of time. Other times it flies away shortly after.

These 3 birds have come to me repeatedly. Sometimes when I ask but, usually they just show up. Some people tell me coincidence. I say they make me feel better. So, does it matter if it's coincidence? I have a lot of stories like that about the birds. I wish I could talk to a shaman. My wish for that is very strong. Maybe some day it will happen. Someone asked me once what I would ask the shaman. I said I don't think I'll need to ask I think they'll know.

In my room above my bed I have several dream catchers. I like them. I was also, given a mandala and an open peace shield. Those are hanging up too. I would like to learn more. I want to honor and respect.

Solitary Pagan here. It's an honor to meet you guys.

Always be proud of who you are, no matter how unusual or unconventional your faith may be. Take the platypus for example... they don't seem too bothered about why they exist. :hug:

Much love and light, and may Fortune favor your Paths regardless of which one you ascribe to. There is no such thing as evil when the entire universe is sacred ground.

I have a collection of healing crystals and colorful stones from all over the world. I have been collecting rocks since I was a kid, but I only have maybe 35 crystals or so now. One of the ones I had as a kid, a spearhead I found in the woods, was even donated to a museum. I love looking at them and holding them, giving them as gifts and so on.

I´m interested in magic (broad definition of the word, I believe there is such a thing, perhaps the ability to feel and direct energy).
But I never really had one type of spirituality I adhered to, just as I´ve usually been interest in different religions. I feel in the end, they all have overlapping themes and areas.

Trees I have found to be very powerful. I also believe that animals are able to communicate certain wisdom or messages. I´m pretty sure the owl, the wolf, the fox, and birds (owls, eagles) have helped me in my journey. I´ve had dreams where I was an eagle myself and a few visions of power animals.

Nature holds a lot of mystery and magic that we haven´t quite discovered yet. Or maybe most know nothing about it at all. In the place where I grew up as a teen, magic was very pervasive. You could feel it everywhere. Here, not so much. Nature has been reduced to favor the city, and has become "decoration".

I finally bought my first deck of tarot cards and a himalayan salt lamp. I also bought a shungite stone to ground me. Nature has become my friend again. It is interesting how the same cards and advice keeps coming up no matter how many times I shuffle or how different I cut the cards. My spirit guide has been helping me a lot also. This sounds a little wacky but I don't care anymore. Lol

When we were experiencing forest fire smoke, I got one of those salt lamps too. I think it really did help clear the air some. Any improvement was welcome. I had my windows closed tight and there are 3 doors I have to go through in order to get into my apartment, but I could still smell that smoke inside. Thankfully it was not as bad as outdoors though.

Even growing up in a Christian cult, I've always felt a deep connection to Nature. I have this ability to converse psychically with dogs, and recently I've been able to hear the conversations of the trees. One day, I even felt the Earth crying because of the damage done to it (I was in a big city), but when I sent the Earth an energy hug, She hugged me back! Now, I consider myself a follower of the Shambhala path (Way of the Warrior), but have a deep respect for Native American practices, Shintoism, Energy sciences/practices, and communion with the natural world as an equal being.

This is a fascinating thread, thanks for starting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back