• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Florida man charged with trying to 'barbecue' sex offenders at motel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does that fit in?
Where does it fit in? They had the CHOICE not to do to others what was done to them. They CHOSE to behave like they did. They CHOSE to make others suffer because they had suffered. They CHOSE to ruin other people's lives because they had been abused.

Where does it fit in? It doesn't. They had a choice. And they made it. Now they can burn in hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the persons who damaged me had been damaged themselves. Where does that fit in?

Thats how I feel too.

I also feel I would feel better if they and like others saw justice and the judicial system handled rape and sexual assault better . Justice for me is not being bbqed. It's therapy, Contribution to society. them paying for my therapy not me, nor other taxpayers but them. Restorative justice, safety for society and therapy for themselves so that they born are safer AAND are helped appreciate the weight of what they have done to others.

Actually; I am not clear.

I feel that the failure of the people to receive suitable justice ( not just my perps) is something that my recovery keeps stalling on. My WANT for healing from ptsd even. I don’t want to be ’well’ in a world that sees the current status of sexual offence in our society as ok; if it takes being ’ok with that’ to be well. even the way we casually treat each other is saddening often enough. I think it's the tiny, tiny thin end of the wedge of being able to disregard each other in meaning full ways. When people habitually ignore each others rights and boundaries.

So when I first read the OP's post I took it in a light-hearted, off the cuff manner. I think the man who tried to bbq the offenders is a D** and I think sex offenders grouping together anywhere can not be good.

I regarded the headline as a bit quirky and attention seeking - which is what it did and that is the aim for headlines after all.

I'd never encourage vigilante behaviour. I suppose when you put together an arsonist - clearly not a clever one, sex offenders and the word's bbq coming from the arsonists mouth - you are going to have a headline. I thought it was funny. Clearly other's did not. Sorry I have a bit of dark sense of humour at times.:oops:

Others have responded with more compassion for the sex offenders. That is fair enough too. I respect your opinions.

I would feel better if they and like others saw justice and the judicial system handled rape and sexual assault better .

Yes wouldn't it be so good if they did. However sex offenders rarely comply with society's, laws or judicial systems. They are forced into the judicial system because they cannot respect well established boundaries. They are usually more concerned with avoiding getting caught and detection than respecting their victims rights.

them paying for my therapy not me, nor other taxpayers but them

Wouldn't this be a great idea and I'd agree however unless you have a sex offender who is not booted out of his job because of his predatory conviction/behaviour and not sent to jail, or has substantial personal wealth which the victim can quickly and easily access, this is unlikely to happen.

As well as being financially viable how long would it take for victims to get treatment if they had to wait for a conviction?

Rape and sexual assault cases are notoriously hard to prove and the Judicial process agonising slow. I know it should not be so. But as it currently stands it is.

What happens to the victims who do not report their assaults?

What happens to the victims where there is insufficient evidence to obtain a conviction and the predator/offender walks away?

So, with not having other taxpayers pick up the bill - how many traumatised ppl are going to have to wait for therapy for a very long time?

Given that therapy delivered quickly post trauma, is the most efficient and likely to succeed in preventing ongoing conditions, if victims have to wait for a conviction and then further legal processes to access perpetrators potential finances then it is going to be extremely difficult to get any therapist near a victim of a sexual offence for a long time. That hurts the victim more.

and therapy for themselves

Sorry I have never met a sex offender who was not a recidivist offender. I have seen them manipulate the rehabilitation system and they come out informed not rehabilitated. :meh: But I am hoping there are a few out there. I wouldn't trust them anyway. Just me.

failure of the people to receive suitable justice ( not just my perps) is something that my recovery keeps stalling on

Yes in the last 40 - 50 years I think the Judicial system is letting a lot of victims down. Imo - pendulum has swung too far towards the offender and not enough towards the victim and protecting society.

How many times does an offender have to do a crime of this nature and be convicted before someone in the judicial system says enough? This is the usual theme of victim support groups and why certain social media platforms have been used to get a message out there in recent times.

Imo restorative justice and rehabilitation are trotted out to minimise sentences or get the offenders into 'programs' instead of doing hard time and facing up to the consequences of their actions. I will admit...I don't know what 'facing up to the consequences of their actions' might be anymore but it has to be something different from what we are currently doing now.

Except in unusual cases this would apply to adults here who apparently do know right from wrong? The premise for restorative justice is trying to get a perpetrator to see the consequences of his/her actions on their victims. It's been flogged to death in a number of jurisdictions and I haven't seen great results. I don't know what the answer is.

way we casually treat each other is saddening often
I'd agree with this @Mee. What is sadder still is the actively intentional way individuals treat another. There seems to be an overall lowering of standards and respect. Maybe I am just getting old and cynical. :cry:

When people habitually ignore each others rights and boundaries

They need to lose that habit. But I don't know how anymore. I'm aghast at the way people simply have no respect and violate other people. Ugh.:(

I love your points @blackemerald1

Firstly I would say your humor might well be sign of being better progressed on healing journey than people like me?

Regarding the points of finance and tax payers. I live in uk. Where there is ’free healthcare’. Only it us not free, nothing is. It is free at point of use. my line if thinking is that services gleaned through healthcare/ insurance/ private funds should be redeemed from perp maybe much like child support. Taken from wages if need be.

In my are of uk there is no specific treatment for it'd so I self find my therapy. And yeah, it was too slow. Even self motivates and arranged with help if a psychologist friend.

I also believe sex crime us recidivism. I was intrigued recently to read that a organisation of therapists for sex criminals in the States ( can't remember which right now) argue otherwise. Maybe that's with therapy? My brain is fuzzy over the right now.

What we have now is a system where many of them are in work across sectors of society. Some do not have capital but could pay contributions. For the rest if their lives if need be. Some do perfectly we'll and could meet the costs they have unused on others with maybe some sacrifice. Some could do it barely blinking.

The numbers if sex criminals around would mean they could not all lose employment; but that there was actual enforcement put in place could be a deterrent in society. And yes, change how people acted if society started to think ’these oropke fon’t make great employees...’ the one's who are ’ just being men ’ or what ever.

Impact on child offences? I think society awareness has changed a LOT since I was a kid. For a start it's spoken about in news more. It's accepted it was an issue in institutions. People are accepting I. Can happen ’next door’ .

I think if more penalties we're felt it would help because people would be more aware: and it's awareness that gets people alerting people to step in.

@Mee well as I wrote in my post - I took it as a bit of a headline grabbing media thing and went with the humour side.

I hope you can cross to the 'dark side' humour wise again one day soon.

Some days I think if I don't laugh I will just keep crying and that's getting me nowhere. Not always successful however. I hope I haven't offended you. Sorry if I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back