• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Freeze Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeiaFlower

Confident
During my therapy session, we were discussing nightmares. I thought I wasn't afraid of them. However, a small voice in my head said "I want to go home." I ignored it and then a freeze response took over. I went stiff and I couldn't speak. I was consciously still in the room, aware of my surroundings, and my therapist's voice repeatedly called my name. But I couldn't respond. I couldn't move my head to nod to her question that I could hear her. I couldn't move or force myself to speak, the only control I had was blinking away tears due to losing control of my body. I tried to calm myself down by reminding myself that I was in a safe space and no one could hurt me, this of course had no effect. After what felt like ten minutes I was able to utter a word that I can't remember anymore. Slowly my body relaxed but it felt like my knees were on fire. I explained to her that 'she', the small voice in my head, wanted to go home. My therapist asked if this ever happened before and I shook my head before making arrangements to be picked up from my session.

Once I got home I remember that I used to lose my speaking ability even with my previous therapist. I don't know how I forgot something that big that happened not that long ago. Regardless, the first instance happened in September of last year when I was asked why I was uncomfortable with affection. Since then I noticed when I even do it when I'm alone. In the past, it only was losing my ability to speak for a short amount of time. I was able to master telling her what was going on and working around it. However, this recent one was worse. I lost my ability to move as well as speak. I couldn't signal that freeze response was taking over. I don't know why I forgot the previous instances, or why this recent one with my new therapist was worse. I like her and trust her more than my previous one. Though I guess I'm still weary if she could adequately help me.

My main question is, has anyone else experienced this before? If so, what did they do to combat it?

I don't exactly freeze but I zone out a lot and my thoughts disappear and I have to pluck myself back and force myself to respond so that I don't seem like I'm being overdramatic. My therapist asks me "are you OK?" like 30 times a session, lol. One time she was like "yeah, you keep saying that but I don't believe you!"

The more difficult the topic the more I lose my ability to think and I just zone out and and go "yeah I'm OK I'm fine" over and over again. I lose track of what I'm saying and repeat myself over and over and mostly use filler words and struggle to communicate anything.

Mostly my mind wants to just go blank and not talk and not think at all, I'm not really in any distress. The distress comes from my therapist being aware of it and drawing attention to it. In terms of this type of thing happening to you I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

It's just an emotional reaction to something challenging for you & a therapist's office is the perfect place to explore that.

A few times, I've had a freeze response where I couldn't move or speak. Not being able to speak happens more often. I haven't found a way to get out of it yet, other than letting it pass on its own. I try to make myself as comfortable as possible before it fully sets in. Go to a safe place, if anyone is with me let them know what's happening so they don't freak out. If I concentrate really, really hard sometimes I can move or speak a little bit. When my partner is trying to communicate with me, they'll ask me a yes or no question and then say something like "squeeze my hand once for yes". It's more likely that I'll be able to do that than respond verbally.

For me, it's less distressing and ends more quickly if I don't fight it so much. It's better if I try to relax as much as possible and let it pass, instead of trying to force myself to speak or move over and over again.

Last edited:
A few times, I've had a freeze response where I couldn't move or speak. Not being able to speak happens more often. I haven't found a way to get out of it yet, other than letting it pass on its own. I try to make myself as comfortable as possible before it fully sets in. Go to a safe place, if anyone is with me let them know what's happening so they don't freak out. If I concentrate really, really hard sometimes I can move or speak a little bit. When my partner is trying to communicate with me, they'll ask me a yes or no question and then say something like "squeeze my hand once for yes". It's more likely that I'll be able to do that than respond verbally.

For me, it's less distressing and ends more quickly if I don't fight it so much. It's better if I try to relax as much as possible and let it pass, instead of trying to force myself to speak or move over and over again.
I think I’ll try to relax more I think I panicked more because I didn’t understand what was happening. I’m going to try explaining what could help with my therapist. Maybe her giving me something cold to hold. Or something that could bring my attention away from anxiety.

YES. this happens to me every time. Especially when talking about nightmares. I determined the reason I freeze is because I feel ashamed, small, scared, or Al too overwhelmed to know where to begin. It hasn’t happened with therapists I don’t trust. I think the freezing might happen because we’re allowing ourselves to open up. I told my therapist I can still hear her but I can’t respond so now she just talks and says encouraging things. Also I learned I can start talking after a while if a lighter question is asked. It pulls me out of it. For me when I freeze it means I need to take a break and we’re done talking about that for the day. Thank you for sharing. I thought I was so alone

YES. this happens to me every time. Especially when talking about nightmares. I determined the reason I freeze is because I feel ashamed, small, scared, or Al too overwhelmed to know where to begin. It hasn’t happened with therapists I don’t trust. I think the freezing might happen because we’re allowing ourselves to open up. I told my therapist I can still hear her but I can’t respond so now she just talks and says encouraging things. Also I learned I can start talking after a while if a lighter question is asked. It pulls me out of it. For me when I freeze it means I need to take a break and we’re done talking about that for the day. Thank you for sharing. I thought I was so alone
I agree that it’s due to opening up with someone we trust. I think that’s why I guess my inner child got scared. She thought I would tell my therapist something she wasn’t ready for someone to know. I think I’ll think a heads-up to my therapist would help. Also when I’m able to move writing what’s scary might help

I agree that it’s due to opening up with someone we trust. I think that’s why I guess my inner child got scared. She thought I would tell my therapist something she wasn’t ready for someone to know. I think I’ll think a heads-up to my therapist would help. Also when I’m able to move writing what’s scary might help
Writing can be very helpful. I email her after our session and share what was going through my mind when I froze. Or drawing. I’m awful at drawing but choosing colors to mean a specific feeling and just scribbling can help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back