• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Gardening

mastery levels to gardening? bee still my outraged heart. i garden to escape mastery levels. "therapeutic" is an understatement.

have you tried composting? i get mega-meditation-bennies from turning trash into solid nutrition for my plants. i especially like turning my compost pile during family dramas and/or election campaigns.

@arfie
I could barely talk last night I'm not sure why. anywho..thanks for posting. I'm so excited to have a gardening thread here

we had compost last year. left the compost bin at the old house.
so far now I just have a pile of scraps some chicken coop stuff and leaves but I need greens. I have the worst spring fever this year. I want the grass to grow so I can clip it for compost 😀

I dated/lived with a bloke who had advanced degrees in horticultural schtuff… it’s a funny educational tract… he could earn 6-7 figures a year with his own grow ops, breeding/hybridizing/competing/consulting -or- be paid minimum wage to work for misc. nurseries, landscaping, etc. NOT a degree path to take if you’re not a highly motivated self-starter!

I still use his exact ratio of black gold/pearlite/vermiculite/worm-castings/blood&bone meal for tomatoes. Along with sticking a fan on seedlings, pinching tops, cloning, leeching wastes from the soils, and other things. OMFG. Leeching. Tomatoes are like goldfish. Filthy creatures. Getting the water to run clear? Takes a tremendous volume of water. But? Get the soil right, and keep it that way, and one ends up with a ginormous yeild per plant of the most holy f*ck, these are amazing! tasting/smelling/textures.

I WISH I’d paid more attention to his orchid rooms… but I’m a sucker for phalaenopsis aphrodite, which makes no money whatsoever, whilst his rare/cash cow orchids I found to be intolerably ugly.

I was far more interested in his food crops, kitchen & medicinal herbs, etc.

It’s quirky… you can always replicate the light & temps plants need indoors/or stick to what works well in your zone… but getting their soil composition correct? Both vital and wildly different for all species.

Gotta say, though… as someone who gets on naturally with animals? It takes a whopping level of self control to IGNORE plants to the degree that keeps them happy. Plants do require a lot of work, but also a helluva lot of benign neglect.

Before I dated him I’d have to take a lighter to my fake plants to make them look sick/dying/dead, for anyone to actually believe they were “mine”. Black thumb didn’t quite rise to the level to describe how bad I was at it.

I was far more interested in his food crops, kitchen & medicinal herbs, etc.
Thanks for a good read @Friday. This is me too.
getting their soil composition correct? Both vital and wildly different for all species.
So true. Which ones like to be fed when too
Gotta say, though… as someone who gets on naturally with animals? It takes a whopping level of self control to IGNORE plants to the degree that keeps them happy.
We are the same. I don't have a lot of those kinds of plants because of it like philodendron. I have tried and I think it's unfair to the plants now. Also Im bad with arrow head vines.

I feel like a problem.
I'm even following that thread and I remember seeing it once I didn't mean to duplicate. This can be deleted
ModNote

1. Staff does not delete threads on request. We might merge 2 similar threads, and often do; or nip them off-line out-of-sight briefly for various admin reasons; but deleting threads both causes a huge range of problems, and is also fairly pointless/purely cosmetic. It’s the Internet. Once posted? It’s there, forever. 😁

2. Container Gardening & General Gardening are different enough topics for their own threads. There will be some crossover, of course, but if either/both ever crossover so much as to need to be merged? Staff will take care of that. (I know. Trust. Never something that’s all complicated or difficult. 😉)

You may have noticed here in the Cafe-Side of things in Social there are threads for dogs/cats/birds/pets; threads for different religions, different sports, different aspects of food/cooking, etc.

3. Any time you want to hit Staff up with a request or question? Use Contact Us. We’re an all volunteer staff, and whilst we do -eventually- read everything? It can take a few days, and a question/request can get missed as we’re scanning through. That I just so happened to be here, and didn’t log off for a few days? Pure luck. Using Contact Us, or Report Post, isn’t a bother. It’s the fastest & most efficient/helpful to US way of reaching out! 😁

As always, rather than replying to this post… please use Contact Us to comment, question, or discuss further… both so that we don’t hijack this thread, and so that mods can get to the message as soon as possible.

I have a green thumb but I’m a hack lol. I just do flowers now . Couple tomatoes in 5 gal. Buckets. Photography club is overgrown with my efforts . The nice weather is coming but I want them to beg me to get out in the yard . I always start late and right now I have a fence problem where I compost (dump) everything and I haven’t been out there yet! : )

Back