Hallucinations with dissociative symptoms

Toren

Learning
Anyone get auditory hallucinations and dissociative PTSD? I have been trying to figure out how to label what i have and found some research on this. I almost fell out of my chair as I've been diagnosed with things like mdd with psychotic symptoms and generalized anxiety disorder but knew that wasn't quite right until a psychologist suggested DID nos. I laughed at him until i realized what dissociative symptoms were which led me to the PTSD lit. Appreciate any input as I'm searching for answers

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
The whole diagnosis thing really depends on who you see, doesn't it?
It really does. Not only for psychological issues but also for many medical ones. Some, for example, don't believe that DID is a thing, even though their book has very specific criteria for it (a book which, imo, is simply a compilation of the opinions of a bunch of people who are, by nature, imperfect). Me? I take everything anyone tells me with a grain of salt. I explore, research, and decide for myself which of the many diagnoses fits. Because everyone has an opinion and they often don't match.

I've been told for YEARS that my back pain is due to spine issues and that my hip pain is "referred" from the spine. We've come to find out, though, that my spine is really fine, and that the pain is muscular and fascial. All that time wasted, trying (and not succeeding) to treat something that didn't exist.

katz

MyPTSD Pro
Anyone get auditory hallucinations and dissociative PTSD? I have been trying to figure out how to label what i have and found some research on this. I almost fell out of my chair as I've been diagnosed with things like mdd with psychotic symptoms and generalized anxiety disorder but knew that wasn't quite right until a psychologist suggested DID nos. I laughed at him until i realized what dissociative symptoms were which led me to the PTSD lit. Appreciate any input as I'm searching for answers
I'm not sure if this helps - but most of my memories are from "up there" (floating by the ceiling, looking down) . Back in the 70's they diagnosed epilepsy. I was medicated all my life till I was diagnose with PTSD - since then I have had none of the systems or "feelings" that I had growing up. No meds either.

Friday

I ask, because I have had them, but they were neurological and sleep-related. There are several causes that are not psychological, and many doctors have a hard time diagnosing them. It's really important, though, to get a proper diagnosis.
Yep, yep!

I’ve had auditory hallucinations from sleep dep, fever, hypothermia, starvation, & drugs... VERY different things, in my own experience, from auditory flashbacks.

My PTSD links hard to auditory flashbacks, hypercausis (too loud!!!) and various dissociative sensory f*cking weirdness (for lack of a better term 😉) that includes my hearing as much as anything else.

But any time I’ve hallucinated there have been clear causal links to NOT my PTSD, but something else going on.

Toren

Learning
Yep, yep!

I’ve had auditory hallucinations from sleep dep, fever, hypothermia, starvation, & drugs... VERY different things, in my own experience, from auditory flashbacks.

My PTSD links hard to auditory flashbacks, hypercausis (too loud!!!) and various dissociative sensory f*cking weirdness (for lack of a better term 😉) that includes my hearing as much as anything else.

But any time I’ve hallucinated there have been clear causal links to NOT my PTSD, but something else going on.

Well I certainly understand and it was helpful to know I am not the only one with the weirdness. Would love to hear more specifics.

As for auditory hallucinations, I’ve never heard voices — not human, animal nor other —that weren’t my own.

What I have consciously hear a few times, had been a humming ‘motor like’ sound and once a continuous beeping sound within some dense woodlands. These I couldn’t explain. I once also heard a loud explosion in the distance, late one night. Also a few times, while drifting off to sleep, I heard what sounded like a ‘slamming door’ that awoke me. These sounds all seemed to be external and coming from a specific direction. I just can’t explain them. Were these hallucinations —

The short duration of the ‘slamming door’ sound and explosion were too short to be clearly recognized as hallucinations while my immediate response was, ‘What was that?’

As for the longer duration of the ‘humming motor’ sound, I had first thought this was something very mundane — thus I ignored it. Yet several minutes later, I again became aware of this same humming sound which should have passed minutes ago. Does any hallucination maintain a continuum for several minutes? And as I repeatedly asked myself, ‘What is that??’ my jumbled emotions and confusion intensify until I began to dissociate. I still can’t remember this entire experience due to my amnesia. And no, I hadn’t been sleeping — I was then outdoors doing my routine chores.

In 1978, I awoke one night or perhaps, only thought I was awake, to immediately realize I had no body awareness. Being unable to awaken myself (or so I thought) I screamed in my frustration. Yet when I screamed I couldn’t feel nor even hear my scream within my body. Then a few seconds later I did hear a faint scream off in the distance. Was that me?’ I asked myself. And why this weird time-delay of a few seconds? Was this an auditory hallucination — I don’t know.

But I never hear a total silence. And when I cover my ears with my palms I'll hear strange sounds, like a ‘vibrating motor’ running inside my head.

On the other-hand, my imaginary visualizations and visual memories within my mind’s eye are many and have at times frightened me, as if, flashbacks. I might also have had a few brief tactile hallucinations of being touched on the back of my head that had triggered a panic-attack.

I’m totally amazed at how well I can recall my many tactile memories and do this so effortlessly. Then there are things like words, word meanings and their vocal sounds that totally confuse me. My olfactory memories are more vague, requiring more mental effort to recall.