• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hospital when I'm supposed to be on vacation. So sad & upset .

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I'm supposed to be on vacation. I planned for weeks cleaning, setting up appointments I'd been skipping for months, planning for my niece to come over, planning for a couple of day trips with my niece and mom.

And then, Friday afternoon, I started having severe flank pain. I've always pushed aside acute pain - "it'll get better; it's nothing" - and I did the same with this until pretty late, when I threw up. I called my mom, and she took me to the ER. Long story short, I had a sizable kidney stone and was septic. Like, seriously so. I had emergency surgery, had a very bad reaction to the anesthesia, and over the next three days was in bed with IV antibiotics running. No sleep those three days, very little food.

I got home today and now have massive diarrhea that is worse than everything I went through the last few days. I have to cancel all my plans and spend this "relaxing" vacation recovering.

I know there's nothing I can do about it, but it makes me sooo sad and upset that I spent so much time finally doing the things I haven't had the motivation to do for several months. And now...

I'm supposed to be on vacation. I planned for weeks cleaning, setting up appointments I'd been skipping for months, planning for my niece to come over, planning for a couple of day trips with my niece and mom.

And then, Friday afternoon, I started having severe flank pain. I've always pushed aside acute pain - "it'll get better; it's nothing" - and I did the same with this until pretty late, when I threw up. I called my mom, and she took me to the ER. Long story short, I had a sizable kidney stone and was septic. Like, seriously so. I had emergency surgery, had a very bad reaction to the anesthesia, and over the next three days was in bed with IV antibiotics running. No sleep those three days, very little food.

I got home today and now have massive diarrhea that is worse than everything I went through the last few days. I have to cancel all my plans and spend this "relaxing" vacation recovering.

I know there's nothing I can do about it, but it makes me sooo sad and upset that I spent so much time finally doing the things I haven't had the motivation to do for several months. And now...
Oh Noooooo! Holy crap!!! Glad you caught the stone before your vacation though. You might have c-dif from the operation, my ex got it after his operation - if the diarrhea doesn't stop, I would get back for a c-dif test asap. Sending hugs to you. Hope you are much better soon and can take some sick leave too.

If one of my staff was sick when they are ok vacation, I would cancel the vacation and use their time off as sick leave. And let them re-arrange their vocation..is that possible at your job?
My situation is a little weird, as I am a contractor. So, the contracting company pays me, sets time off, etc. My supervisor actually asked me the very same question when I texted her. I have to double-check, but I think everything - sickness, vacation, reg days off - is lumped into a PTO category. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have trouble with me taking extra time, but I'm going to have to think about doing it maybe next month. I don't know.

Were you planning on going on vacation just you?

Nausea is a common side effect of recovering from that surgery. And depending on where you were planning on going and the health care of there it might have been better to get that sick before going on vacation. That just would have been scary if you were there is limited access to health care. Not that it makes things any easier it doesn't that sound like it sucks to go through. That surgery is bit of a recovery from my reading on it that sucks dude. Remember to focus on your health and well being. I am still wondering about if you were planning on traveling by your self or with other people?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still wondering about if you were planning on traveling by your self or with other people?
As I mentioned above, I was hoping to keep several appointments I had been avoiding, and my niece and I were going to spend some time together and take day trips together.

Change is hard, and has its own series of challenges… but one thing I’ve learned? Is to take other peoples expectations to heart. I may not need “now” or “this”. But? Since I know I will need/want later considerations? Take what’s offered (IE sick leave, or med leave, when there are clear reasons for either… and take vacation, pto, etc. at LATER junctions.

Take what’s offered (IE sick leave, or med leave, when there are clear reasons for either… and take vacation, pto, etc. aT LATER junctions.
Yeah...since it's all meshed together, I just kept the PTO for this week. I guess in the long run, it was really fortuitous that I was scheduled off. It wouldn't have mattered--they are really good about allowing needed time off--but at least they were prepared and knew I wouldn't be there.

I can't believe how washed-out I feel. Diarrhea from the antibiotics, occasional pain from the stent, just generally tired. Hard to separate that latter from the depression, which is always an issue.

I'm sorry. That's super disappointing. Harder to deal with the disappointment when you feel so miserable. Sending out support and healing your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back