Poll How much does your doc know of your trauma history?

Does your primary care doc know your trauma history?

• Yes, they know some of the details

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Yes, they only know what type (military, childhood abuse, etc)

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

Missycat

MyPTSD Pro
I rarely see the same GP but i know its on my records that i have PTSD, anxiety , ocd, self harm etc and it does mention CSA. On a visit re my annual meds review, a GP once did ask if they could see where i SH to check i was looking after the wounds , she also asked that i see her again after 2 weeks just to see how i was getting on. I didn’t go back until i needed to about 7 months later and nothing was ever mentioned again ! GPs in NHS dont have time to deal with mental health and when i tell them or they see in my records that i have a therapist and psychiatrist that i see privately - they dont raise it! Which I'm ok with.
i had to get my med records earlier in the year and it upset me when i saw that on 2 seperate occasions - once when i was 14 ( after taking an overdose) and then when i went to the GP with insomnia, anxiety , headaches, zoning out etc in my 20’s - on both occasions the GP noted to refer me to a pyschologist- but nothing ever happened and nothing was said to me. It makes me angry that i could have had help so much earlier .

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
I've transferred GPs a number of times in my life. I don't tend to give them all the medical records. I have TBIs and epilepsy, and CPTSD, and that's way too much info for a NPractitioner.......so now I tried a consciere, an extra 300 a year, but I hoping that during Covid, she'll remember my name. I've had medical trauma, and so doctors aren't my thing. I do let my neurologist in on trauma (kinda had to when trauma stressors caused me seizures).....talking to the medical profession is a foggy experience but it's improved over time (except with neurologist-no fog there!).

i previously answered 'no, other' on this poll yet wanted to add a few more thoughts.

Neither my doctors nor my T have understood all of my trauma experiences. This isn't their fault and I can't blame them. How could I explain something to them that I, myself, don't understand.

Have these experiences bothered me, kept me awake at night, preoccupied my thoughts, increased my anxieties, hyper-vigilance, self-doubt and feelings of isolation -- yes they have. Is this something I can easily discuss with my T or simply dismiss -- no.

Four of my past T did suspect childhood sexual abuse. I had actually discussed my CSA with my first T when I was 24. I saw this T once a month until age 32. I was living alone with my father during that time, yet, this T had suspected nothing other than non-contact sexual abuse. No one else had sexually abused me.

In 2019, my last T said, she couldn't find any source for my suspected PTSD. I terminated with her after our 6th session. Several months ago, my PCP said that she thinks I'm schizophrenic and having dissociation episodes.

Even if my T or PCP could understand all of my experiences what difference would that make? I think that my T thought I was fabricating these experiences in an attempt to redirect the discussion away from my 'real' issues. This might be why my T always quickly dropped the subject.

I wonder if my developmental brain injury might have something to do with my unexplainable experiences. Did my near-death episodes of whooping cough at 6 weeks of age traumatize me. I couldn't communicate well during my infancy and wasn't crying. Then too, I later stuttered badly with LD with few people to talk to -- not my two siblings and rarely my parents. I was often alone with no playmates.

Perhaps because of my early TBI, I had lost the ability to properly 'filter out' and perhaps, this might explain my unusual experiences. I can recall seeing myself, for the first time, in a full length mirror while telling my mother I could see 'two of me' in the mirror. I think my comment might have freaked out my poor mother. Actually I was referring to the faint double image I was seeing -- one reflecting off the reflective metallic film and the second similar image reflecting off the actual surface of the glass.

I can also recall asking my mother about the many lights I was seeing when I'd close my eyes at night in my darkened room. These lights weren't unusual, in the least, as I later realized. Apparently I was just very observant and concerned about things I couldn't understand, as a child. As an adult, many of these minuscule observations become irrelevant. To those of us living with hyper-vigilance, I'm not so sure.

siniang

MyPTSD Pro
Other.

I'm generally a very very private person when it comes to anything personal. I hardly even share really personal stuff with people closest to me, including my husband. I most definitely would not share any of that with some random other person I have to have some sort of interaction with (both in professional and recreational contexts; an anonymous internet forum is different).

My diagnoses are on my file. I don't have trauma that would impact treatment. So they really don't need to know. None of their business, not part of their ballpark of treatment.

I'm torn how I feel about any non mental health provider (GP, NP, Gyn, ...) knowing my diagnoses.

With a GAD and a PTSD diagnosis, I've been in the situation before where I really worked myself into a major hypothetical health scare over some symptoms I'd been having. My NP at the time recognized that I won't be able to just take her word for it that everything was fine and she ordered some more tests that weren't objectively necessary (or easily paid for by insurance without valid concern - which wasn't objectively there) because she realized it would be helpful for me.

On the other hand, I also struggle with bad chronic fatigue and tension pains. And I've been in the situation before where GPs dismissed my concerns and attributed my symptoms to my mental disorders, aka psychosomatic. And while I don't even deny they play into it, I'd really rather have a thorough physical checkup that brings no results than none and potentially missing something sinister. Or at least something you could easily treat (you know, things like low levels of xyz in your blood). I did not feel taken seriously. And this kind of dismissal has happened a lot over the years, with and without the context of mental health disorders. "Oh, you're a student? No wonder you're tired. Try to work/party/... less." In a way, it's really patronizing. Yes, by all means keep a holistic view, but also belief me when I'm saying "this isn't it". I'm still the best expert on myself.

Last edited:

brat17

MyPTSD Pro
My doc knows at least some of it. He treated me after the assault....and a week or so later I had a total meltdown. Im not sure he understands but he does know. He is easy to talk to, so I shared some. He put me in a sling and ordered tests for my torn rotator cuff.

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
My GP first raised the possibility of it as a diagnosis. He was not my gp in the practise at the time but a colleague and I asked to change to him because he is empathetic. When I told him I was having ‘some sort of break down’ and ‘going mad’ he told me ‘rather my dear - I think you are becoming sane after a lot of pressure has forced some tremendous coping methods’. He explained that his diagnosis was - Something I cannot remember but not ptsd - something like just tsd? But that if it hung around longer than I think it was 8 weeks we’d seek futher diagnosis. He suggested finding private therapy, asked dh to restrict my access to my meds so I could not keep hurting myself that way / and gave me some antidepressants and sleeping pills to help get me through the next two weeks .

I don’t think he remembers me on subsequent visits or anything- but his kindness at that time when I could not be kind to myself at all and could not recognise myself or my behaviour was part of the medley of things that were lifesaving .
So yeah- I tell them.