• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

Hypervigilance- is yours degrees of constant?

I listen to recorded books and set a sleep timer for 30 minutes. If I'm not asleep, I get up and try again later. I trained myself to fall asleep to this one voice actor's voice, and he does 100s of books, so I can have a variety of choices. It doesn't always work, but for the most part, a bath, meditation, and recorded books work.

I feel nervous all the time. I was triggered badly about 6 weeks ago. And I have felt like a ball of nerves ever since. I have to believe if I do my exercise, watch my self talk, stop my crazy thoughts, use my cbt...I’ll get thru this bought. It feels awful. But can you think of a time you’ve come out of feeling this way? I know it helps me to hold on to the fact I know there are better days. Much love.

It is an ongoing thing with me. I have to catch my thoughts and replace them with other thoughts a lot during times of stress, which I guess is always. I'm moving, which is a huge stress, in the middle of a blossoming pandemic, even more stress, while there is social unrest very close to where I live, even more stress. I had to put down my 12 year old mastiff service dog since she couldn't walk and was peeing blood. I am heartbroken.

You do come out of it. I was triggered badly two days in a row, and I took an ativan and slept all day and night after the 2nd trigger. I really had to work to keep the images out of my mind. I'm reading a book of fiction about how a bunch of people survive a huge disaster, and by planning and hard work, they keep the trauma at bay. While I agree with the concept, I think previous trauma plays a part in how well one might recover. With my move I keep planning my new homestead and working at moving, so it is working for me a bit.

Thread starter #17
Hiya, I take my medication at night which helps me sleep.
I am happy for you -that your medicine works! Thanks for posting.

choices. It doesn't always work, but for the most part, a bath, meditation, and recorded books work.
I like this idea. Will consider how to weave it into my routine.

But can you think of a time you’ve come out of feeling this way? I know it helps me to hold on to the fact I know there are better days. Much love.
So kind and true! Resilience does often stem from incremental success. Thank you for the gentle reminder and much love back.

I had to put down my 12 year old mastiff service dog since she couldn't walk and was peeing blood. I am heartbroken.
I can not offer adequately in words, how much my heart goes out to you for your loss. 🤗 ...if you accept. Please know, I am sending love and light your way... and will continue to do so. Hope your move is finished and peace is within your home. So glad you reached out. namaste

Thank you so much. Sadly, her sister is no longer able to walk so the vet is coming today to put her down. It is overwhelmingly sad. She was crying all night, so I grabbed a mat and tried to sleep next to her, but I got no sleep. At least she will be with her sister and out of pain.

As a Farm and Ranch worker, I tend to work a lot. Seven days a week. All that work really doesn’t matter at the end of the night but I throw things at it as needed. If it’s really bad, I pop a couple of propranolol while laying there doing my thing. I might take some Benadryl or L tryptophan in addition. If I feel like I can stay up and do my thing for a little bit and be tired enough to sleep it tends to work. Really, I’m just trying to make myself comfortable while I relax so that I don’t try and roll over and go to sleep when I am still amped. Simple routine tasks that don’t put too much pressure, work the best to fill out the day and keep the mind clearer I find. A lot of expectations and too much work to complete in a day is going to ramp up my hypervigilance and hyper arousal issues. The end of the night is very important to me that even if I didn’t get enough sleep the night before, I try and wind down before I roll over. So I might lay there and do some reading, play a quick game or watch the limited amount of news I will allow myself to watch at this time. I occasionally take naps in the middle of the day if I feel I must. But I never expect to be able to get a full nights rest knowing that I already got some rest that day.

Thread starter #22
At least she will be with her sister and out of pain.
You are strong as well as compassionate to consider her need set above your heartache. Throughout the years, you have never ceased to amaze me on how much you have navigated while keeping your empathy intact. May your spirit and unconditional love remain your entire journey as a guiding light through out each challenge. Prayers, warm remembrance candles and much respect to you and yours.

As a Farm and Ranch worker, I tend to work a lot
You are among a select group that has my complete respect as well as gratitude. It is often an dangerous, relentless job that demands such fortitude plus constant awareness to avoid loss of land, livestock and limb. And you are right, it does seem there are never enough hours per my family, so I appreciate your effort to post an offer of insight on what works for you. Thank you and stay safe.

When I was young, it was like someone crazy was walking behind me with a knife, and any minute he would kill me. I tried sleeping in the closet, under a blanket so I was unrecognizable, and I brought a knife (not violent, just trying anything). It didn't help at all. I used to imagine operating on myself, and taking the part of my brain with the terror out of my head. Now that I am older, it is hugely better, but it is constant, and my biggest problem. My trigger is failing to watch my Dad. But he is not here, and no longer any threat at all. My plan for recovering is to feel my pain while remaining calm. I signed up for Yoga. I am watching breathing exercise videos and Hatha yoga beginner videos and practicing. Their disclaimer says to use caution because Yoga can trigger trauma. That's kind of ironic.

Top Bottom