• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I cut off my mother....yay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_3

Learning
Before the quarantine my mother was my hero. Now she's the woman who abused me for 12 years of my life due to her opioid use disorder. She doesn't want treatment, so I've had to cut her out of my life for my own sanity. I'm relieved, but also very confused. I feel somewhat grounded in myself, I just don't know where I go from here. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. I want to get my life together but I feel like I'm starting from square one. I feel like I'm not attached to anything. I'm not in therapy yet, I'm working my way towards that direction. I'm grateful for this outlet in the mean time.

@Survivor3 For the first time in my life my living situation is safe. The family that I'm staying with is a good thing I have in my life because it makes me feel like I don't have to go through this alone. I'm grateful for the people I met in my spiritual community. I'm grateful for my sisters, my job, for my perseverance, and for my future whatever it may be.

Well done! @Ash_3 . That sounds like a really big, brave step, that whilst scary is very positive for you. What you have done takes immense courage. I admire it. (and wish I could take a leaf out of your book!).

I think whenever I make a big decision, there is a little back lash of "oh sh*t!", And doubt creeps in. But it's holding on to the positives and remembering that change is unsettling initially.

Sending you warm wishes and I'm proud of you for taking yourself in a healthier direction, though it had to be hard on you. You sound like you know what you need and have the strength and support to reach your goals.

I hope your mother will realize the family is hurting and find the help she needs.

Choosing yourself over someone's addiction is hard to do and very healthy!! Glad to hear you are in a safe place now with support. And hope you find just the right T to help you continue on your journey. Don't forget to come here and share when the doubts hit, in case they do. We are here to support you in choosing YOU!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back