• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I saw a person that I loved in the mid 1980s in a FB from the 1960s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widow_of_one

MyPTSD Pro
I was having a “FB baseball mansion” from the late 1960s. When I was invited into the mansion I saw a man I loved from 1985 standing there. I am guessing it is a “screen memory”?

Sorry. What I was trying to say is that I had a “flashback that was from the late 1960s”. It is me, at about 5 years old.

later on in my day I had another FB od that same event in 1960s and this time when the door opened I saw a man I dated Circa 1985!?!

I, in the present day, was shocked and baffled!

could it be a “screen memory” which is when something is so horrible that you can’t accept that your mind “replaces another person” bc you can’t handle it?

I hope this helps you understand what I am saying clearly. And thank you for asking me for clarity it means a lot for someone trying to understand what I am saying.

A false memory?
No a screen memory is an actual memory that your mind has “disguised” bc it “can’t accept the “truth” as to the actual traumatic event.

In this case, instead of me seeing my beloved gf that was abusing me and who I “loved” in a sexual “boyfriend-girlfriend” way I would have to “realiz that he and I we had a “sex based relationship”. My mind substituted a real life lover (ie. M) who I adored in my early 20s in his (my gf’s) place!
:~)

I always pay attention to repeating elements in dreams. Whoever or whatever is usually a red herring. Think about you and what you were doing, what was happening to you. It may offer more clues.

I always pay attention to repeating elements in dreams. Whoever or whatever is usually a red herring. Think about you and what you were doing, what was happening to you. It may offer more clues.
My sup at work, who also has PTSD, said the most important thing he learned about dreams in therapy after he served in the military is those dreams are all you. Each person in that dream is you. After he learned that it was easier for him after nightmares about things that happened in combat.

In this case, instead of me seeing my beloved gf that was abusing me and who I “loved” in a sexual “boyfriend-girlfriend” way I would have to “realiz that he and I we had a “sex based relationship”. My mind substituted a real life lover (ie. M) who I adored in my early 20s in his (my gf’s) place!
:~)
And this was a flashback, not a dream or a day-dream?

And this was a flashback, not a dream or a day-dream?
Yes a flashback! Which is why seeing M - my ex-bf from Circa 1985 from a “FB from 1960s” really alarmed me.

I have a flashback then it stops. As time goes by, I will see (during the day and fully awake) “Polaroid” pictures of the “FB” - of a particular scene from the original FB. Sometimes I’ll have many per day, then there is a “lull” then it’ll start up again.

when this happened I was upset bc it merged the 1960s with the 1980s. I have an ironclad policy: calm down, you will figure this out as time goes by, you are safe and warm and sane.

it usually works to calm me down and within a couple of days I feel better about things.

what I think happened is this.

I had a “dream FB” in graduate school and I couldNt accept what I saw in the “dream FB” so my mind substituted “the living world my life M” instead.

a “dream FB” is an actual a very early “pre-stage to a FB” that starts off entering your conscious mind while you are sleeping.

I think what happens is that if you were to have a FB without going through the “dream FB” stage you would crack. So that, without your “conscious knowledge” you are having “pre-fbs” when you are very young in preparation of having “actual fbs”.
Think of it as “tempering eggs” to make custard. By adding a tiny bit of hot cream to the egg gradually you end up with a delicious desert.

i think there are many stages to “fbs” ending with the ultimate stage of “blow off” where all of the negative energy is dispersed and the “trauma” is sort of your “regular memory”.
I think there are also many stages of pre-fbs as well as many stages of “fbs” leading up to the ultimate stage of “blow off”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back