• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Intrusive thoughts & Rumination

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLittle

Confident
Hi,

It seems that I have Intrusive Thoughts and Rumination issues. All day long and also during nighttime.

Endless loops of images, sounds, sentences, words or word...

And I would like to ask? How does one deal with this and eventually manage this to a point it doesn't happen everyday or maybe even goes away? :-)

Looking forward to the replies.

my greatest success in calming intrusive thoughts came from treating them like a physical phenom. somewhere along the way i noticed that my most vicious thought loops were always accompanied by small "pressure centers" in my head. not quite headaches, but not quite comfortable either. by shifting my focus, ever so slightly, away from the words of those intrusive to imagining a mental massage to relieve those pressure centers, i was able to quit worrying about content and go directly to relief. the intrusive thoughts still come back, but as that shift in focus has become more habitual, the intrusive thoughts have become less and less troublesome and seldom escalate to the tight little thought loops that used to disable me.

but that is me and every case is unique.

gentle support while you find what works for you.

my greatest success in calming intrusive thoughts came from treating them like a physical phenom. somewhere along the way i noticed that my most vicious thought loops were always accompanied by small "pressure centers" in my head. not quite headaches, but not quite comfortable either. by shifting my focus, ever so slightly, away from the words of those intrusive to imagining a mental massage to relieve those pressure centers, i was able to quit worrying about content and go directly to relief. the intrusive thoughts still come back, but as that shift in focus has become more habitual, the intrusive thoughts have become less and less troublesome and seldom escalate to the tight little thought loops that used to disable me.

but that is me and every case is unique.

gentle support while you find what works for you.
Thank you Arfie.

At the moment I am exhausted to a point I can actually fall asleep when eating. But then again I might be coming out of hyperarousal state and off the adrenaline.

Which is a good thing healthwise.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I get the rumination bad when I'm in a depressive episode. The easiest way to distract my brain during those tough periods is physical stuff: exercise, gardening, cleaning, etc. Something about having to concentrate on something physically engaging helps my brain get off the track that's playing on repeat.

I get the rumination bad when I'm in a depressive episode. The easiest way to distract my brain during those tough periods is physical stuff: exercise, gardening, cleaning, etc. Something about having to concentrate on something physically engaging helps my brain get off the track that's playing on repeat.
Thanks for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back