• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Looking to connect with other health care providers diagnosed with PTSD following pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any other health care providers on this forum? Frontline nurse practitioner worked in ICU for the first 3 years of the pandemic. I have not been in the hospital for about 6 months and was recently diagnosed with PTSD. I am really struggling despite medication and being in one-on-one therapy. Having daily panic attacks despite anxiety medication 4x daily, nightmares, flashbacks......feeling alone and isolated. My family does not understand and feels that my unregulated emotions, fear, and anxiety are a choice.

Welcome to the forum - I hope you find some relief from the panic attacks soon. They can really make life impossible.

Front line paramedic.

I was injured before the pandemic started and in rehab, and was on practicum (not ems) early in the pandemic. Back to work, I've since been through multiple waves of covid over 2-ish years on car, and our EMS is stressed and on the brink of failure. People really have no idea how bad covid is and what it does to a body. People have no idea the toll this pandemic has taken on those on the front lines, or on health care systems.

panic attacks despite anxiety medication 4x daily, nightmares, flashbacks......feeling alone and isolated. My family does not understand and feels that my unregulated emotions, fear, and anxiety are a choice.

If you had symptoms because of a broken leg or a stroke, I'm sure your family would not call those symptoms a choice. As happens so often with invisible illnesses, symptoms are suddenly labelled a choice. No, your symptoms are NOT a choice... you have the symptoms without consent, your choice is in how you acknowledge, treat, and manage them (which you are- meds, therapy, time off work).

There are a lot of great people here, with so much support. I hope you find something helpful here.

Welcome to the forum.

I had PTSD before the pandemic. And “Nope!’d” out of the pandemic because of that. As I’d sworn off epidemics after my first measles epidemic. Would literally never take another job (NGO) involving microbes. (Hiked vaccines along the Andes for a few months).

So I’m probably NOT who you’re looking to connect with.

However?

Speaking as someone with a BSRN, paramedic, EMT, & combat medic Cert (all lapsed). There are limits. That everyone hits. Often in strange ways. “Strange” as in something you love/loved &/or even defines you? Becomes poison. JUST before the pandemic I was re’upping my certs. To move back into Disaster Response following divorce & PTSD flaring up, whilst still intending on a sworn LEO placement, one does just simply need to keep their recs in order. Normal course of business. No worries. Cov19? f*ck that. f*ck that noise. No. All my certs have lapsed. Because Covid. Or, more accurately? Because Measles. Which no one gets. (At least no one who didn’t live through what I did, way back when, did.) And that’s okay.

So whilst I’m not someone you’d find common ground with today? In 20 years, when you’ve moved BACK into what you love &/or even defines you? Or not, and gone in an entirely different direction? This shit happens. It takes a toll. You’ll figure out a way in the meantime. And either find your footing soon, or later, or walk away.

I spent my life suffering from c ptsd and feeling numb inside without any purpose, feeling lost and being afraid of everything. Not understanding why I was going through certain things or doing certain things. When I was younger I had plans that my life would end before I was my age now, all without purpose.

about 4 or 5 months ago I met people in a behavioral unit that gave me purpose and helped me feel calm inside. Being around people like us, with PtSD and other traumas helped me greatly because I knew on a deep level they understood and we created very deep bond in a short time.

Enough about myself.
But I’m betting that if you found others with PTSD to be around that you might even feel better.

Maybe worth a try ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any other health care providers on this forum? Frontline nurse practitioner worked in ICU for the first 3 years of the pandemic. I have not been in the hospital for about 6 months and was recently diagnosed with PTSD. I am really struggling despite medication and being in one-on-one therapy. Having daily panic attacks despite anxiety medication 4x daily, nightmares, flashbacks......feeling alone and isolated. My family does not understand and feels that my unregulated emotions, fear, and anxiety are a choice.
I’m not a health care provider but a Firefighter, and during the pandemic volunteered to help out the police and health service in a very difficult role within the pandemic and covid casualties, and as a ptsd sufferer have some idea where your at and how last few years may have affected you, obviously I won’t know your individual situation and I’m at the start of my journey too, but if you need a chat or any advice I would be happy to help/listen

I'm a front line worker too. But I work the night shift in a medical center laboratory. When I'm not in the central laboratory building I'm positioned in various mini laboratories located in the emergency department, open heart when one comes in, and intensive care unit. I had PTSD before the pandemic but it has been aggravated by it. I completely understand what you are going through. My family doesn't get it; they think just because I work more hours I shouldn't have issues with this. No one understands better than someone who has experienced this themselves. Hang in there; you are not alone. I'm new here too and I've discovered just how wonderful people on this site can be. Feel free to leave me any message you want to.🧪🌜💉

Are there any other health care providers on this forum? Frontline nurse practitioner worked in ICU for the first 3 years of the pandemic
✋🏼
I’m here - just found this site yesterday. Critical Care/Resuscitation Medicine. Day one of the pandemic at my previous position until last October when I found another very different job.
I started spinning out after an unexpected major stressor at the end of June. And honestly, I don’t know if I’ve ever felt as unmoored as I have the last 6 weeks.
All this to say, I’m here with you. Ok?
There are tools so there can be a plan.

Hi. Only just joined for similar reasons following working in ICU through covid. Got diagnosed a year later, had counselling and Emdr which made me feel lighter (if that makes sense?) now some months later I feel panicked again. My mind is on overdrive, especially at night. I’ve tried to stay in nhs as only 10 years til retirement but I’m not sure if that’s right? Not sure what the answer is but just do you know, you are not alone and that fact is helping me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back