• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Noise cancelling headphones, loud noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sleep in normal but good quality over ear headphones ( and a noise of my choice playing ) . This is enough to block out low level irritant noise But not so much as to Make me unsafe because I can hear my dogs react to sounds etc .

I sleep with a very soft pillow to make this more comfortable.

I have noticed that since wearing headphones more often my ears get ‘dirtier’ - producing more wax and getting a bit ( tmi??) sweaty being the ears - so I clean them more attentively than I have had to in the past.

I use wired mid quality head phones. Happily envious of those of you with bose!

I use gun range ear protection / drummers ear plugs. You can still hear everything, even conversation/music/etc. -in all it’s subtleties and nuance- crystal clear (unless you put the flange in, then it’s muffled like normal high quality ear plugs that you’re hearing hints though your jaw, instead of your ears). It’s “just” that the volume is turned down and the BANG! SQUEEEEEEEEEAL! CRACK! BOOM! of the upper & lower register is removed. So a gunshot sounds like someone is dropping a book or wearing high heels on a wooden deck (instead of Holy f*cking Mother of Goddamn What? What? I’m f*cking deaf now, I can’t f*cking hear you), and drums sound like you’re listening to them on CD instead of standing right next to them.

$15

EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus | Filtered Flanged Earplugs | SureFire
I might look into these, because the constant fireworks in my neighborhood is driving me insane.

I sleep in normal but good quality over ear headphones ( and a noise of my choice playing ) . This is enough to block out low level irritant noise But not so much as to Make me unsafe because I can hear my dogs react to sounds etc .

I sleep with a very soft pillow to make this more comfortable.

I have noticed that since wearing headphones more often my ears get ‘dirtier’ - producing more wax and getting a bit ( tmi??) sweaty being the ears - so I clean them more attentively than I have had to in the past.

I use wired mid quality head phones. Happily envious of those of you with bose!
I use foam earplugs for sleeping and my ears itch, flake and get very dry, so I have to put coconut oil in them when I get up. What kind of over ear headphones do you sleep in? And are they comfortable?

Can’t sleep with them on but I use noise canceling headphones in the eve sometimes.
I’m not able to use earplugs but use an app called naturespace for natural white noise while I sleep. I’ll still wake for unusual noises in my proximity, but external noises are flushed out more. If I do wake, it’s less jarring with the sound of gentle rain than deafening silence after a boom, snap, or crash. Seems to work better for my brain for some reason.

I use foam earplugs for sleeping and my ears itch, flake and get very dry, so I have to put coconut oil in them when I get up. What kind of over ear headphones do you sleep in? And are they comfortable?

I just bought some new ones today because my phone died and my new phone has no head phone jack.
The ones I am replacing were an amazon special offer - less than 30 US dollars at the time - oneodio .

The trick to sleeping in over ear headphones IMO is a very soft pillow.

These are slightly too big for me but I sleep in a sleep bonnet with my hair on top of my head do it all works out . I’ll still use them with a converter cable ( when it arrives) with this phone.

I wouldn’t feel it sensible to sleep in top of the range headphones in case of me destroying them. My last pair lasted two years and the ear padding came unstuck . I wore them almost twenty four hours a day - they got seriously heavy use - more than these - and I loved them- there were very inexpensive from WISH . I am upgrading to an ethical company this time because I have realised that these companies probably use modern day slavery so I went for a company on amazon that says they don’t. Plus recycling etc. They arrive on Monday and I am happy to update next week with that name and if they are comfortable or not.

I have slept in our more expensive gear - professional headphones- but I just felt wary - I will occasionally use an old pair of studio Sony’s we have that the ear piece has some heath Robinson type home repairs - excellent sound still- but I tend to damage the repair through the night. Only bothers me . The stress for me of wearing other stuff outweighs any benefits of sound quality etc. I just want to listen to spoken word and relax. As I am not looking for noise cancelling ( for safety ) I restricted my search today to the under 35 pounds sterling mark. My only frustration was I don’t love the look of the headphones i chose - but I am wearing them in bed so who cares?

Update- they arrived today. The make is ‘Marley’. They are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn . They have ZERO sound cancellation or even the sort of sound muffling one might expect from headphones- I would even feel safe ( though obviously would not) to drive in them. No sound cancellation at all . I have bought an adapter to use my old headphones which muffle but don’t cancel but will be keeping these because I will feel ‘safe’ in public places because I will hear all sources of traffic etc around me. I expect I will wear them half and half

Loud noises at night trigger me, especially after 10pm. And I know I am not the only one, so I have an idea.

I have thought about buying noise cancelling headphones. They are expensive, but if they can help I will buy them to get a better life.

Has anyone tried noise cancelling headphones? Will they help me to not panic at night? Please tell me.

I have some. I don't think I could sleep with them on, though. I'm a pretty serious sleeper but my headphones are not even comfortable to lean back against a high back chair in. But I have the huge kind - I like people to KNOW I am not interested in chatting.

I live in dowtown Portland, OR just around the corner from our protests and on the louder evenings I have stuffed cotton in my ears and played Marconi Union's Weightless or other sleepy or anxiety reducing music between me and the exterior wall. This has helped A LOT.

The nice thing here is that I can still hear things, they are just muffled and disguised and thus are not immediately alarming. Somehow I feel safer doing this than using real ear plugs.

Last edited:
I have phonophobia. Loud noises often trigger a defensive response. I had a pair of skull candy noise canceling headphones. They worked well, and are not too expensive.

I have a set of noise-canceling headphones that I often use at night when I sleep but also use them during the day. The thing about me is that if I wear headphones or reduce the noise intake, I must keep myself in a locked room. I am kinda anal about keeping doors locked so that no one can sneak up on me.

Also, I happen to like spooky movies and no one wants an uninvited and sudden noise then. :) White noise is also helpful when I am too hypervigilant to allow for much noise reduction. I hope you find the thing that works for you.

<laughing> I only ever wear 1 earbud (music, movies, etc.) Both at home and out/about so that I can hear what’s going on around me! Otherwise, ditto... anxiety through the roof with hypervigilance spiking skyward.
This is only a part of why I don’t wear noise cancelling but normal ones . It’s like a buffer without total avoidance of real world too.

Sometimes you have to balance risks real and trauma Inflated. Not hearing outside at all is a real risk. Plus increases startle response frequency- which keeps me on alert.

Having some ‘distraction’ and stuff to think about other than my head- that’s good I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back