• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

(Not) Finding a Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I've been unemployed now for a month. I quit right before everyone was sent home to work and the job I had lined up, which was seasonal, has been delayed. It's possible the project I was hired for will fall through; it depends on whether students are tested at the end of this school year.

One thing I finally realized is that I canNOT work in an office. I don't manage the relationships well and I just don't like it. This new job would have been different in that the only time permitted to talk with a co-worker is on break or at lunch. Since it involves testing, everything is very strictly controlled - I have done this job before and really liked it because I can do the work and leave it there when I go home. Also, to work there, you have to have at least a 4-year degree and everyone is sooo professional.

Because this job may not work out, I've been thinking about finding other work and looking some online to see what is available.

I'm not finding anything I feel like I am in the least bit qualified for. I've seen a couple of remote positions (which is preferable) that I *almost* qualify for - and I may do some online training to help me get there - but I'm starting to...hm, not quite panic, but definitely feel a lot more anxiety.

The other thing? I don't want to work. It's not a matter of being lazy. It's the anxiety and the knowing how I am when I have to be under people and the depression that always gets worse when I'm working. I'm looking a remote jobs and planning to finish building a small business, but I'm so afraid I won't make enough to live on.

I don't regret quitting (at all), but I'm starting to worry about moving forward.

I would also consider recertification / new training / another degree or at least minimum requirements met while working.

The payment for it / study fees & grants can be negotiated with the employer & education institution.

If qualification formalities are an issue, don't let that deter you from work you want to do, but look at education requirements you can meet, and bridge those you can meet sooner with what you have already.

Two, volunteering / commission basis field work in your chosen field, or related. Not only keeps skills active & used, boosts self confidence & provides useful contacts, it can be helpful thing for future employers. As in lacking this or that degree - yet - may not be such an issue with helluva field experience.

Three, keep in mind job recruiters usually advertise the minimum requirements that may not be absolutes.

As in I was super shy applying for plenty places with the college degree I have & the ones I don't because couldn't finish the school. People told me they're not having an issue with it, merely wanted tertiary education, and that the rest of my tertiary edu wasn't local / credit combinable isn't as huge issue as I assumed.

So ask about experience requirements... they may differ from stated qualifications criteria.

I would also consider recertification / new training / another degree or at least minimum requirements met while working.

I'm definitely working on additional training on my own. I already have 3 degrees and I'm *old* so not doing anymore of that. LOL Hoping I can bring myself up-to-date on the few things I need to qualify for the jobs I really want.

Two, volunteering / commission basis field work in your chosen field, or related. Not only keeps skills active & used, boosts self confidence & provides useful contacts, it can be helpful thing for future employers. As in lacking this or that degree - yet - may not be such an issue with helluva field experience.

Yes! Good ideas!

Three, keep in mind job recruiters usually advertise the minimum requirements that may not be absolutes.

I know this, but have a lot of trouble putting myself out there because I don't meet their requirements perfectly. Still working on that one.

So ask about experience requirements... they may differ from stated qualifications criteria.

Thank you!

So here I am a month-and-a-half since I left and not any farther along in finding something. I look, somewhat sporadically, but I don't apply. I've applied twice, I think.

There is a site that is just for freelance work that I've joined and created a profile for. There is stuff I could do on that site, but I'm finding it really hard to write a proposal for any of them. I think there are a few reasons...I am very uncomfortable with the interaction required with the person/company providing the work. It's like working on-site and having to interact with management. Just not good at that and it creates an immense amount of anxiety. It would help if I could; most projects don't offer a lot of money, but it would give me some extra to pay bills and a lot of flexibility.

My days have been a mix of busyness and doing absolutely nothing. Certainly not job hunting. Starting to feel some anxiety and guilt about that.

You taking some time off ('doing nothing') = Much needed recovery time.

Also helps job hunting; Easier to think of difficult anything if not being in extra physical stress, like that of having no mental time off at all.

Do you know anyone working for these companies, that could tell you more specifically what they're looking for, the screening process, what positions they're short on, which rotate employees often as a norm, the working conditions?

Ie the specifics...
Things you can do, could do, are interested in, are interested in conditionally, wouldn't want even if most well paid job in the world, need some help for, etc.

Turning it around to choice & preferences, and a ball your side of the court.

Instead of it being existential, cannot do ever :bawling:, this whole suucks :wtf: and I'm done with it and back to depressed sleep :sleep: .

As yeah, depression & anxiety are annoy buddies that just do tag along... but they aren't right in telling you you are a failure an won't ever succeed.

You're a skilled person who terminated a long term toxic job...

And has been looking for a new one since.

While the employ situation across sectors is very unstable and bit on fire.

It's amazing you keep looking *at all* :tup:

You taking some time off ('doing nothing') = Much needed recovery time.

Oh yeah. This has been a fantastic time to detox from that place and, arguably, from those types of places generally.

You're a skilled person who terminated a long term toxic job...

Just the fact that I was able to quit is a big deal. But...I really have trouble with the first part of this. Yes. I am educated and in the jobs I've had I've done good work. But - yes. there is always a but - I've never been able to relate to people. It wasn't until just recently that I accept that doesn't matter. I am who I am and have wasted so much time trying to be what everyone expected.

Something still stands in the way of believing I will be able to find something I am good at and actually like.

It's amazing you keep looking *at all* :tup:

Thanks for that! :-)

I don't think working in an office is for me either. I have done very little of that kind of work before. But I still don't think I'd like it.

I've actually done a ton of it, but it wasn't until this job (and just a year or so ago) that I realized I seriously hate it.

There was a job posting for an at-home job related to the current pandemic that is a good fit for me, but the hours don't work for me. I mean, it's 8-5 and in association with the health department (and their hours) so I really don't think I can apply. That means my cat could not go for chemo, my other cat could not go to the vet (she's going just about every week now), I would not be able to schedule doctor visits, and would have to quit therapy. *sigh*

Hi. This sounds a lot like my situation. My degree is pretty useless, or maybe I am just too dumb to turn it into something better. I am employed (well, underemployed) but have had a heck of a time over the last year and a half or so. Between the ptsd and depression and now Corona (I have been sick for over 7 weeks and am finally recovering) I have had to miss a lot or even not be able to make it through my whole work day. While they were understanding initially, now they seem to think I was lying (full disclosure: I wasn't) and now they are messing with me. So, I probably need to look for something else...

That brings me to the spot I find myself in. Health wise, I am not able to work full time and it seems the only work available for me is either more of the same or office work, which, like you, I find awful and soul crushing. I doubt I would make it a week in a job like that before quitting or shooting myself. I have done some office work before and let's just say I find my current work more interesting though not very stimulating. Not to mention that I seem to be surrounded by a bunch of immature, vindictive gossips. Anyway, I am getting panicky too, because I haven't been able to figure it out. Plus, here it often depends on what kind of connections you have... Even for the worst jobs... Sigh

Anyway, just wanted to say I recognize some of your anxiety. I don't know to what degree or any this is helpful, but the fact is we still don't know exactly how this pandemic will shape the economy, job prospects etc moving forward. So in a sense, there are many of us in the same boat.. Mor a very similar one at least. Maybe things will start to get better...

In the mea time, try not to be too hard on yourself and good luck with the search!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back