Noticing inner feelings

{hot~tea}

New Here
Drunk people give me a bad feeling too....my father was a drunk.....almost every night....and first thing on weekend mornings. Yep.....if I drink something, it's usually a really small amt.....I can't stand sloppy, rude drunks......to much reminder of my childhood drunk father.
Unfortunately my partner is alcohol dependent. It didn't bother me at first I think because I was trying to rewrite the narrative of drinking and alcohol and also overriding my personal triggers with it. But now I see myself trying to "override" a lot of toxic traits in my adulthood. It does concern me more than bother me, because I know where day drinking on weekends *can* escalate to. My partner is definitely not a reckless drunk or gets wasted every day, but he does emotionally depend on it. I'm a drinker too, but more as a nightly "wind down" because of my anxiety at night.

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
Well, I believe drinking is a way of "not coping" and if it goes on long enough, it causes relationship issues, numbed feelings, and really doesn't let one live in the moment and give their best self to their family and friends. It's a slippery slope for people who need a drink daily to unwind or deal with daily stressors.

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
Unfortunately my partner is alcohol dependent. It didn't bother me at first I think because I was trying to rewrite the narrative of drinking and alcohol and also overriding my personal triggers with it. But now I see myself trying to "override" a lot of toxic traits in my adulthood. It does concern me more than bother me, because I know where day drinking on weekends *can* escalate to. My partner is definitely not a reckless drunk or gets wasted every day, but he does emotionally depend on it. I'm a drinker too, but more as a nightly "wind down" because of my anxiety at night.
Does your use of alcohol create dependence for you as "nightly wind down" instead of using monitored prescription meds or more exercise and meditation during the day? I know you term your partner as alcohol dependent when the more accepted term in an AA meeting is alcoholic-someone who feels like they "need" alcohol to get by-Could you slowly be moving in that direction....(there's psychological dependence vs physical dependence)....both a form of alcohol dependence. So are you worried you might be on a slippery slope-or just your partner?