• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Offline For A Bit - Family Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Lisa, much appreciated. Agreed, Alzheimers is not pretty to watch. However. My mother is in a better place now, that I believe. It is a relief for the family.

Jim.

My nana had it, slowly developed where she moved in with my parents so they could care for her, then she became too much for them to cope with and they had to put her in a home to be professionally cared, and she died months later.

Yeah, it was the same for us too, my grandma ended up in a home. The funny thing was even though she couldn't talk in the end some aspects of her personality stayed with her. She loved pretty things and would go "ooohh" at them just like when she was well. And she was funny sometimes... we took her to the park and she dismantled her wheelchair front wheels and feet bits. She had a thing for grabbing things, handbags weren't safe around my grannie lol. Before she got really bad she'd be saying hello to people and my grandad would ask her who it was and she'd say "I dunno!". Bless her heart.

Anyway... sorry, that's me going off on one.... I guess the point I was demonstrating was its good to remember the good bits, and find the person behind the illness where possible. Well, I wasn't trying to demonstrate that at all actually, I just got carried away, but that's my afterthought.

Sorry, im in a wittering mood tonight. Jim... you are right. She is a much better place now. Makes my eyes fill.

All the best

Lisa.

Jim's mum Brigitte initially lived with us as well, in fact we were able to care for her quite nicely for close to two years, and I believe she rather enjoyed being with us. However as she deteriorated she began to wander, and additionally she'd experience horrible fits of anxiety where it was virtually impossible to calm her down. It was heartbreaking, and she did not want to be placed in a home, but towards the end we were having to watch her constantly and it was simply not possible nor safe. She languished in the nursing home for a time but eventually seemed to adjust. It was one of the hardest decisions Jim and I ever had to make, we truly did want to keep her with us. However with the prospect of her falling down the stairs or literally burning the house down the minute our heads were turned, we had to admit defeat.

Kathy, Im so sorry to hear of the passing of Jims mother I know how it really is a blessing when the quality of life has been so poor for so long =, thoughts with all of you t.ake care of each other

Thank you for your kind words mouse. I do truly believe Brigitte is at rest. Even if one does not believe in an afterlife of sorts, death is better than the last few years she endured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back