• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Public Commitment to Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am exhausted. All week I have been spending from 7:30 to 3:30 of 4:30 working on our future home: cleaning and tearing out rot, mostly. Today I built and sided a new, small exterior wall, tore out most of the old one and did some cleaning. Each day I have come home to laundry and other chores, plus trips to the home improvement store which are stupid. My brain says it is asinine to do my exercises after this.

However, something incredible is happening: I am through day four of home projects and regardless my hypermobility and other issues, I don't have any injuries. In fact, my soreness level isn't even above average. Of course when I don't hurt like hell, my anxiety and PTSD symptoms are lower and I am less apt to feel like I am going to have road rage and the like.

I already did most of my hip and shoulder exercises today, regardless of my head noise. I have 3 more exercises to do but I have to get on the floor to do them and I just haven't gotten that ambitious, yet. It's coming.

Thanks for not making me make this commitment to myself. I think it is really helping.

Last edited:
And so I live to do bridges, high knees, butt kickers, weighted leg lifts, clamshells and a bunch of shoulder exercises whose names I do not know one more day.

Should have done this earlier. Grrrr.

I rode my bike today. Thankfully I live a few minutes from a bike path that goes along a river- it's really nice. I like how I feel when I ride my bike. It is very freeing, fun, grounding, exhilarating, powerful, exciting.

I really wanted to bike with everyone else along the river while we were in Portland this summer - it looked so lovely. I need to buy a recumbent bike in order to ride again with minimal pain and I haven't made that financial commitment, yet, but my hubby has mentioned it several times so it may just happen. Right now I have a mini stationary bike that I can ride while sitting on my special don't-get-a-blister-on-your-ass cushion ?. It's not the same as being outside, of course.

Glad you got out there. It may motivate me to go see some sunshine, myself. It will be in short supply soon.

Before the move, I was doing 100, 5 lb weighted straight leg raises per leg per day and my hips felt great. I've wussed my way all the way back to 30 every other day and my hips don't feel great. On the upside, I am doing them regularly again but I want to get back to where I was.

The plan is to do 20 more per leg today and 50 total on Monday, as well, to maintain at that rate for a week or so before increasing again.

And the lunges... What happened there? ?

Last edited:
A stationary bike sounds good, especially since you can ride indoors even in crappy weather.

When did you move? The stress and tasks of the moving process interrupts other routines a lot of time, for me.

I went on a bike ride again today. I'm grateful for the accountability here to not only exercise and connect with my body, but the inspiration to get outside in the process. Covid, depression and increased shootings in my neighborhood have made things a little more difficult than usual to get out of my apartment.

So I appreciate the accountability and inspiration, @RussellSue, to get out of my comfort zone and take care of myself <3

When did you move?

We left Portland in late July but only just got to Santa Fe around the 8th of last month because we thought we were moving somewhere else. And we did for less than a week but then my husband got a job just out of Santa Fe. We couldn't find a rental where he is working, so we rented a month to month hotel/apartment (where not even the dishes are ours') in Santa Fe. We are on schedule to move to the town where he works on the 15th of October. Needless to say, routine has been very hard to maintain.

I went on a bike ride again today

Awesome. Biking is so good for you.

So I appreciate the accountability and inspiration, @RussellSue, to get out of my comfort zone and take care of myself <3

I'm glad.

It's become pretty damned important that I exercise regularly because I have a number of issues going on with my joints and connective tissue but because I have PTSD and I'm not permanently housed, it's been really hard to remember to do it as much as I should and/or keep up the motivation to continue when I am worn out from things like rebuilding an RV slide out like I have been doing for most of the last two weeks. I wish manual labor was the same thing as strengthening exercises for my hips but it's just not. I don't do those exercises for a week and I end up needing my cane like I did for about two weeks after we landed in New Mexico. I'm only 40 - I'm not ready for that.

I figured I'd try to take some others along for the ride in part because I know I am not the only one who should be exercising but has trouble getting it done. I am happy to hear that it is helping you. It has definitely helped me start to get back on track. Before I started posting, I was really only getting my exercises done a couple of times a week. I am back up to every other day now, so that's a big improvement, though I really need/want to keep upping my game because I know I feel better when I am doing more.

I did my daily routine from 30 days of yoga with Adriene (I'm up to day 25). Just paid for a month subscription to her website. Also did some "all trimester yoga" with my daughter, which I enjoyed a lot more than she, coz she feels tired and sick and is pretty miserable, right now
Then I did a 10 minute "lower body strength" routine, also from Adriene's site which was pretty gruelling. I'm glad I did it though. ??☺

I did my daily routine from 30 days of yoga with Adriene (I'm up to day 25). Just paid for a month subscription to her website. Also did some "all trimester yoga" with my daughter, which I enjoyed a lot more than she, coz she feels tired and sick and is pretty miserable, right now
Then I did a 10 minute "lower body strength" routine, also from Adriene's site which was pretty gruelling. I'm glad I did it though. ??☺
Sorry for the long quote - I am on my phone and probably slow to catch on, too.
I think it's great that you get to do this stuff with your daughter especially right now even though I am sure it isn't the best of fun for her. It has to be good for the baby, right?

Third day biking in a row. I'm taking it day by day with the goal of incorporating exercise into my routine at least 5 times per week.
Shortly after I got on the trail, it started pouring down rain. I got completely soaked and found it to be pretty funny and whimsical. It was good fun, and definitely kept me grounded in my physical senses ?

@mumstheword - I will look into yoga with adrienne! Yoga has so many benefits, and nowadays is freely accessible. I find myself having more resistance to doing something in my home, though, maybe because it is easier for me to avoid it by getting distracted.
25 days is an awesome commitment.
How do you feel?

incorporating exercise into my routine at least 5 times per week.

That's great! It helps so much.

As for me, it is Monday and I don't know why I am currently exercising on Mondays. I get up at 5 and get ready, drive 45 minutes, build/demolish for 7.5 hours, drive 45 minutes, make dinner, inevitably shop at Home Depot and probably one other place, then finally come home to wash the sawdust and worse things out of my hair and now it's time to exercise.

But I am here to say that I am going to do it even though I have next to no desire to. Not because I am showing off but because if I don't say that I will, I will weasel out of it.

This project should be done by the middle of next week. I am really looking forward to not being so worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back