• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study Rare sleep disorder common among veterans with PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder or concussion suffer from a thrashing form of sleep behavior at a rate that is far higher than the general population, according to a new study. Researchers next want to probe whether the sleep disorder might provide an early signal of the development of neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson's disease.
A45_jH3duno

Dead Link Removed

Oh great. One more thing to look forward to. (We're already concerned about his memory loss and Alzheimer's.) After reading this it seems my combat veteran with PTSD and multiple TBI's may have RBD. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Dreams and nightmares only happen during REM sleep, right? (At least that's what they said back in the day.)

Does everyone who acts out during dreams/nightmares have RBD?

I'm curious to know the what the percentage is of older veterans who have Parkinson's disease.

Interesting read. Thanks.

Oh great. One more thing to look forward to. (We're already concerned about his memory loss and Alzheimer's.) After reading this it seems my combat veteran with PTSD and multiple TBI's may have RBD. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Dreams and nightmares only happen during REM sleep, right? (At least that's what they said back in the day.)

I'm curious to know the what the percentage is of older veterans who have Parkinson's disease.

Just keep in mind it's just a study. The only thing they've found out so far is about the fact that the rare thrashing happens more often in vets than the general population. They haven't learned anything else yet.

My nightmares usually hit within the first hour of going to sleep - sometimes within just a few minutes so I'm not sure if I'm in rem or not. But I come up fighting and land in the middle of the room. Not sure if that's the same thing they are talking about?

One thing emdr has been awesome for is getting those under control. Maybe something for j in the future?

Not a vet, but I suffer from this when I do sleep. It's not uncommon for me to wake up with my head where my feet were

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back