• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

@blackemerald1, I reversed it after I was first diagnosed. It has been under control for several years, but, boom, I start working on trauma again and up goes the blood sugar. I'll look into getting his books from the library. I'm collecting lower carb recipes on Pinterest, so I have a lot to try. I'm on medication now, and I feel so much better, but it is still high for me, down from 420 to 183 in the am, and it should be 80-120. So I'm glad you posted that. I'm going to make the brownies and not tell my son how, lol, to see if he likes them.

I've read Number 21 and 24 of the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. I enjoy them since I used to live near Trenton, NJ, and the people remind me of home.

Hi @DharmaGirl - I hope you find the books interesting and get your blood sugar back to normal. If you have reversed it once - I don't see why you cannot do it again.

I will be very interested to hear the results of this culinary experiment with your son. Ha! What a really good idea lol

I could never finish The Girl Who books. I wonder why. I'd like to try again. When my blood sugars are so wacky, I have trouble concentrating.

I'm reading The Fifth Wave, which is different than most post-apocalyptic books, but I'm having trouble getting into that.

Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes From, How It Sabotages Our Lives, by Pia Mellody - have seen her mentioned here multiple times and had a copy loaned to me today after a deep discussion with my counselor.....it's been super helpful and interesting thus far...grateful.

Also visited the library and grabbed:
Home Herbal: A Practical Family Guide to Making Herbal Remedies for Common Ailments, by Penelope Ody
Hands On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments, & Other Topical Therapies, by Stephanie L. Tourles

Apparently it’s been awhile since I opened up my kindle app :bag: I’d completely forgotten I was in the middle (beginning) of reading Dragonfly in Amber (one of the romancy Outlander books) :facepalm:

Or that I’d downloaded 2 textbooks (one on mechanics, the other on russian) that I’d meant to get started... in May? Figures. I always seem to decide to relearn engines over Memorial Day & Veterans Day.

Figures. I always seem to decide to relearn engines over Memorial Day & Veterans Day.
:hilarious:

Yeah, and performing a tracheostomy, nevermind not that, someone who can do it can do THAT, some less hurry up stitching, thanks.... Whatdaya mean my reading list is a good clock for anniversaries, there was none, just like there is no November. :speechless: More coffee. That did not happen.

Current Reading: cooking books. Looking for inspiration and very meh.

So.. I have had a really bad run with my reading for the last two weeks.
Books I have literally thrown back into my library books were:

The Curiosity - strange sci-fi Frankenstein sort of book set in Antarctica (?)

The Magpie Murders - A book (written by the same guy who wrote midsummer murders) But this is a transcript of a book in a book and there were no paragraph breaks so though it was mildly interesting it sent me mental...

and then six more forgettable books - I took them back to the library today...

But I managed to read all the way through:-

The Rooster Bar - John Grisham (spoiler alert)
Good read, interesting idea - kept me turning the pages. I got to admit though Grisham makes you like the characters so much nothing bad could happen to them in the end.

The Ruin Dervla McTiernan Penguin Random 2017

There should be a ( " ) over the u in Ruin - cos it's Irish - So it doesn't mean old structures etc.... It's a term of endearment!

Good book! Quite gripping and terribly sad - It's a fiction set in Ireland about two little children and a cop. Well there is more but don't want to spoil it for you all :rolleyes:

First: We Make The Beast Beautiful A new story about anxiety - 2017 - Sarah Wilson McMillan Publishing

I bought this book because I really liked the cover. :banghead: It looked and felt so nice (truly) So I will describe it to you. It's a deep colour purple with bright orange spots like bubbles and a light purple octopus and silver writing on a luxurious hard cover.... If only the cover had lived up to the book ..sigh..

It's all about Sarah Wilson's take on anxiety and OCD/mania (?)

It's a really good book in some ways. I won't can it completely...
Lots of quotes and name dropping going on - just wish I could remember even one...

But not very helpful really....

I'm still not finished reading it but not because it's heavy going...or for want of trying.

I keep putting it down because it's triggering even more anxiety in me and IDK why!!

It could be the frenetic tone of the writer coming through. It is a bit all over the place. Could have done with a tad more editing.. But that's my taste and I am a little bit symptomatic right now.... lol

It's supposed to be helpful (?) for people with anxiety. Instead it makes me think oh gosh I am such a loser. I am not jet-setting around the globe thinking up really great ways to find inner peace :wtf:

And... how does she maintain such an extensive network of friends when she is royally pissing off almost everyone important all the time... Is it because she is a millionairess from her company iquitsugar.com ?? Hmm...

It's got some interesting stats in it. Especially if you ever imagined you actually were completely alone with your struggle with anxiety. (No I don't)

I still like the cover :hilarious: I will finish cos I cannot send this back to library Rule #419 re when buying books ha!

One Perfect Lie Lisa Scottoline 2017 Headline Publishing

So.. almost finished this book. It's ok. It's starts out great but about half way through the bad guy has a lobotomy (not really but I think the author thinks the reader did??) and becomes the good guy... and he falls in luurve. :eek: So I think I know what is going to happen with this but I will read just to finish ...sigh...

Importantly I seem to be back on board with reading for the moment... Yay!! :joyful:

Back