• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

I don't really know that we've ever had a thread (not that I recall) for reading. So, for any readers - what are you reading right now? Fiction, non-fiction... if it's a book let's share?

I like to work my way through authors here lately and am doing Mark Haddon (after reading his novel "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time") and am on the hunt for Zora Neale Hurston novels after finishing "Their Eyes Were Watching God" (originally published in 1937).

It became my habit and a hobby to find an author I like and to track down as many of their works as I can find. I've already done Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, Tom Robbins, Richard Bach, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams, Margaret Atwood, C.S. Lewis & many others.... you get the idea.

I also like works of fiction written by international authors which are then transcribed to English, and I have a penchant for vintage cookbooks and Manners and Etiquette books before 1940.

Thought it might be fun and interesting to see and share what we're reading? Articles, Magazines, Audio books... all in bounds... it's hard with PTSD brains to read. For me it was something I formerly enjoyed that I had to re-acquire. So let's keep it social please and share?
I just finished reading Janina Fisher's Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors - Overcoming Internal Self-Alienation. It took me a while because like you I have PTSD and I fragment easily. This book provided me with insight into both myself and the treatment process. My therapist is trained in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy and also utilizes Fischer's model.

I am currently reading Jay Earley's book Self-Therapy, A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Wholeness and Healing Your Inner Child Using IFS, A New, Cutting-Edge Psychotherapy. I participate in free weekly internet group called Parts Work Practice that utilizes Jay Earley's book and the Self-Therapy workbook by Bonnie Weiss. These books are about how to utilize Internal Family Systems for your own healing.

Planning to read some Vonnegut after watching a documentary about his career and life. I always thought “billy pilgrim has come unstuck in time” was brilliant writing, an opening statement that was both journalistic brevity at its best juxtaposed to the unlimited horizons for the characters and stories that followed.
About twenty years after I first read Slaughterhouse Five I was diagnosed with PTSD and for the first time fully realized what the book was really about. He nailed it and I missed it, how did that get past me, of all people!

Back