• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Support thread for those with weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my Pdoc changed my meds so I would not feel like eating in the middle of the night anymore. I am relieved, but I wonder if this will help me lose weight or not. It has been so long since I did not have the urge to do so.

It's 3:30 AM and I am content to just sit here with nothing to eat. That's just amazing. It's been years since I have been able to do this. Usually I would have had a snack or even two by now. This is a godsend.

I've been off work for awhile, unpaid. I've started to get quite angry about this (yay, anger) and the person responsible for this situation.

On top of those stressors, I also have no structure to my day. Things are still closed or limited here too, because of the pandemic, so that's not helpful either. So I find I am eating, a lot. Basically an all day snack fest. I've put on weight.

I quit all the other harmful and addictive behaviours, but I can't seem to quit overeating.

@gealach I am so happy you started this thread. I have several chronic disorders that have contributed to my gaining weight since I began my healing journey (as well as the medications I take)..so that I am at least 60+ lbs overweight. I look like a pregnant guppy especially from the side and it makes being mobile so much more difficult. So anyway please know that I support you with your efforts. I tend to use food for comfort and I too overeat.

Recently they put me on a diabetic medication called Victoza that kinda takes my appetite and I have recently lost 10 lbs but I still have quite a ways to go and it is not healthy for me to be so overweight. (I have coronary heart disease and lung disease) Anyway, as soon as I can get good and awake I will have to go back and read through the thread for what has been written here. I think supporting each other with our weight loss goals is as awesome idea and again, thank you for starting this thread!!!

A couple of years ago when my mom was still alive she said to me, "Son if you don't lose some weight your gonna have to get a wheelbarrow to carry that big belly around." That really hurt my feelings. I try not to get too down on myself for the weight tho because it does nothing to help me lose and if anything it causes me to gain.

I’m in the same boat as you all. Weight has been my bain all my life. We were raised that if we did not feel well, we ate. Food made one feel better. Reaching for snacks and food is what I do.

This last year and a half has found me on a plant-based diet and then a Keto diet and now back to plant-based. I’ve lost 25 lbs but could lose another 35 or so. But, at the moment, I almost don’t care anymore. It is exhausting feeling guilty eating a hamburger in public thinking everyone is critical of you because of being overweight. It’s like I don’t have a right to enjoy a fast food meal...after all...I’m fat. It is akin to smoking in public...stares and glares.

Yet, I persevere and am back on the controlled diet and will try to lose a couple more pounds...?

I’m in the same boat as you all. Weight has been my bain all my life. We were raised that if we did not feel well, we ate. Food made one feel better. Reaching for snacks and food is what I do.

This last year and a half has found me on a plant-based diet and then a Keto diet and now back to plant-based. I’ve lost 25 lbs but could lose another 35 or so. But, at the moment, I almost don’t care anymore. It is exhausting feeling guilty eating a hamburger in public thinking everyone is critical of you because of being overweight. It’s like I don’t have a right to enjoy a fast food meal...after all...I’m fat. It is akin to smoking in public...stares and glares.

Yet, I persevere and am back on the controlled diet and will try to lose a couple more pounds...?
So sorry that you are suffering with this too. Guilt is an awful thing to be burdened with. I eat burgers sometimes, but I rarely eat in public. Just being stared at for any reason can be so annoying.

I overate this past weekend and I "lost my lunch". I was upset about a situation at home and I found one sandwich was not enough but two were over-doing it. I suppose I need to be more mindful of 'emotional eating' as that is probably one reason I have gained weight in the first place.

I also do not eat in public. I have no teeth, (I couldn't wear the dentures I had made), and I don't want people watching me eat. It is enough to feel guilty about the extra weight without having to be stared at in public by others who may think I am lazy or have no self-control or that I look funny.

I've been off work for awhile, unpaid. I've started to get quite angry about this (yay, anger) and the person responsible for this situation.

On top of those stressors, I also have no structure to my day. Things are still closed or limited here too, because of the pandemic, so that's not helpful either. So I find I am eating, a lot. Basically an all day snack fest. I've put on weight.

I quit all the other harmful and addictive behaviours, but I can't seem to quit overeating.

So, I gain weight and mentally feel better......in the moment....when I eat sugary foods. But I also know if I follow low carb, high protein diet the end of a month, my energy reserves have increased....it takes about a month of metabolism flu for me to get my body adjusted to a different way of eating.

The high protein were foods I really liked and not in such huge portions and cut out all junk......I initially lost weight fast..but I had to keep it up for much longer than a month to lose the kind of weight I needed to lose......and taper back when I added more carbs back into my diet. Shrimp, crabmeat, catfish became....I catch my own crabs now, home made stuff I froze..........and for an air of rice and pasta, I used Sherataki noodles (O calories-and while not exactly like italian noodles or rice....a feasible substitute with zero calories-but you must follow the instructions rinsing and preboiling.....I made a really low calorie baked spaghetti.....the noodles are plant based and absorb the marinara/meatsauce flavoring. I measured everything-portions so I'd learn what 1/2 cup of beans looked like and didn't watch TV and eat at the same time-in other words, ....... eating food was not time to zone out and stuff. Staying grounded while eating is a huge part to not overeating, because you have to be connected to your body to feel the food in your stomach. As soon as I could feel fullness, I stopped and that seemed to work. I was morbidly obese, so losing weight and keeping within a r-that full feeling, so TV and eating are out.....weight has been a challenge for me too, with this covid crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely eat in public, and I never eat alone in restaurants. It's so bad that I usually don't eat during work either... I'll eat before and after a shift, at home. I just don't want to be seen eating. At home I can eat (overeat) and the only one judging me, is me.

When I first got ptsd, I lost 20 lbs due to IBS symptoms. Then, I maintained for a couple of years. Now that the pandemic hit, I’ve become much more sedentary with working from home. I’ve also been much more stuck in my youngest parts who tend to self comfort with food. I’ve gained 10 lbs. I need to lose over 100 lbs to be a healthy weight. I have some real problems with inflammation. I can’t seem to stop with the carbs and dairy. I also have zero metabolism according to some bloodwork that my doctor did about 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back