• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Support thread for those with weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found olives to be a tasty snack, but they are full of calories. At least they are not a carb. I need more veggie matter in my system, and at least I love olives, any kind of them!

On a day like this, when I hardly feel like eating, I feel strange. I stuffed my face at a restaurant yesterday, so it would only seem natural for me to eat less than usual today. I don't drink enough water either, so who knows...

I don't drink enough water either. I don't like the taste of water......I've been exercising more and for some reason, after exercise, water doesn't taste bad. I try to have water at night....rather than anything with sugar or caffeine. When I write it, it sounds quite reasonable.....when the soda is sitting there, I'm really mindless about drinking it.

I'm a yoyo! So I do understand both camps? Yes!

For the last twenty years I've been severely underweight and trying to build muscle via swimming and exercise.

Then, idk why - I started to gain weight. Muscle. Fat. Initially there was cause for celebration but then whoops... too far!

So now.....

I'm doing a very low carb, basically Keto diet along with intermittent fasting.

The scales say I'm heading down steadily. I'd like it to drop off faster. But being patient is key.

The really good thing with this diet - I'm never hungry.. and I'm not being silly - honestly!! - It's high fat, medium protein and low carb... so my brain is happy about that.

Overcoming my mild addiction to sugar had me day-dreaming about sugary things. Oddly for things I don't normally eat. Huh?? It only lasted about five days with a mild headache. Just showed me exactly what was happening. So very interesting too.

Now, my appetite is actually much less.
I don't crave sugar at all.

But I do miss baking stuff.. so I've begun researching all of the stuff I can make on this diet and there's a lot of low carb recipes out there to keep me amused. It's simply adjusting to using ingredients that are sitting on the shelves and that I've never picked up and read/used before.

Benefits flowing from this diet:-

Inflammation has dropped off dramatically so joints are feeling less painful; mood has elevated and I'm feeling more motivated to attack those stubborn jobs I've been procrastinating about doing. Skin feels & looks better. Sleep is more easily happening and less disrupted. My blood sugars are more stable.

I didn't expect those benefits. So yay!

There are some adjustments that my brain and body made after it woke up to the fact that it wasn't going to get sugar to replenish energy with. (About three days in lol...) But understanding what was happening and why made it easier and really not the worst thing I've been through by a country mile. So I stuck with it and they went away.

Imo, quite a healthy diet in terms of nutrients.

I do need to be aware of old habits that signalled to my brain and that resulted in that oh so happy feeling (hello dopamine!) that I was going to feed it sugar and carbs, before I started the diet. So no snacking or if I do a couple of nuts helps.

The science behind this diet is quite strong now so for those that want to research there is ample amount of studies out there to dig into.

I got motivation and inspiration from yt and the many, many low carb or Keto channels. Plus the Net of course. But also one of my children did it for a few years and he loved it.

Do the research and see what you think? I'd be interested in your opinions.

Last edited:
I also gained a lot of weight, but not for the common reasons. After my last head injury I lost impulse control and made poorer choices. And I had a dramatic change of taste. Previously I hated chocolate. Then suddenly I was eating chocolate pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It scared the crap out of my friends.

Before that, I ate a lot more than I needed to, because I grew up in a where I needed to finish all the food on my plate, because I didn’t know when I’d be given another meal. My dad kept me caged with a food bowl (and three siblings) during toddler years and wouldn’t feed us for most of the day regardless, and even after the cages were gone my mind didn’t recover from that. Still hasn’t.

I am still working on how quickly I eat. I needed to eat quick and get away or I’d be forced to spend more time with my dad. Meals were always incredibly stressful.

But at least I was speed-eating veggies and fruits. Those are my favorite things. So at first I only gained 20 lbs. Which was fine, because I was 100-110 and considered underweight.

Being 130-140 lbs gave me pudge and I wasn’t used to that. But I didn’t care at all because I had never felt so energetic! Being underweight was a huge problem and it was right then that I knew it.

After I started impulsively eating previously-hated sweets all the time, though, I gained more. I’m currently 156.8 lbs, which is cool because a month ago I was 160lbs.

I’ve been working on my weight since last month, because I didn’t want to go over 150 unless I was packing a lot of muscle.

My mom is sabotaging me with worry. She keeps saying I look fine so I shouldn’t bother. But I want to get that energetic feeling back. And, no, mom, that doesn’t make me anorexic.

It’ll probably go smoothly enough for me. I eat a lot of salt so it’s harder measure my actual weight sometimes. But I already like all the “right” foods. And can’t still fit “treats” into my daily calorie budget, so I’m not withholding things from myself and making myself want it more.

I downloaded a pricy app called Noom recently (moon backwards) at the advice of my nutritionist (it was a lot cheaper than seeing her without health insurance), and even though it’s a bit childish at times, I’d highly recommend it. It has daily lessons, a coach who you talk to like once a week, and a disorganized group of peers you can vent to after having the membership for two weeks. I mostly like it for the daily articles, though. I’m learning so much about psychology and distorted thinking in relation to food and etc etc. It’s helped me more than anything so far. I even forgot about the high price I paid (which was something I held off doing for several months... but turned out to be pretty worth it)

Thanks for this space, @gealach, support is the best medicine ?❤

Inflammation has dropped off dramatically so joints are feeling less painful; mood has elevated and I'm feeling more motivated to attack those stubborn jobs I've been procrastinating about doing. Skin feels & looks better. Sleep is more easily happening and less disrupted. My blood sugars are more stable.
That’s awesome!!!

I’ve heard this diet works GREAT for diabetic people.

On YouTube, Dr. Mike (a doctor with a channel) did a whole video on what it was like to be on the Keto diet. It was incredibly interesting

There are several that I follow. Some for a medical perspective...being mindful that they are not giving medical advice!

Like 2FitDocs. Not the most exciting couple but very genuine and living what they talk about. Very real. I like that. Even if no very much pizzaz!

Dr Michael Mosley - a UK doctor - who spends a lot of time in Australia and the UK promoting low carb/fast weight loss and has written a lot of books and researched the hell out of it would also be a favourite. He was diagnosed as diabetic (type 2) and his father died of complications of diabetes. So he had some serious skin in the game. It's now proven that ppl can reverse type 2 in some circumstances by doing the fast weight loss/low carb regime.

And for fun and ideas I like Highfalutin Low Carb... gorgeous man who road tests low carb recipes and he's got a fabulous personality that can win over the most hardened sceptic (me?).

I don't want to even go near sounding fanatical bc I'm not. But these extra benefits are the icing on the cake.
Whoopsy - we don't need that icing anymore?

Last edited:
Mosley is fantastic - I think there is a website he is associated with for weight loss?

I’m a little unsure whether I should also follow his advice about intermittent fasting . I’m failing so miserably with routine - and fighting a lifetime of lack of . I KNOW from my own history that fasting suits me - but I also am wary of slipping into obsession or eating disorder. My weight gain is so significant that it can only be helpful to lose at this stage. :( .

@Mee - the Keto/very low carb diet might be suitable for you. You'd need to do the research but don't get overawed by the language of it all. Initially it seems a bit counterintuitive - eating fat & protein and few carbs = weight loss??

But it's incredibly satisfying in terms of making one feel full. You'll probably find the first week or two a little strange but after that things settle down.

The fasting isn't an issue if you stop eating early evening (and Keto/low carb satiates you so much it's unlikely you'll be looking for the late night choc's) and re-starting again the next day with a breakfast of eggs, bacon etc really hits the spot. So really you're sleeping through most of your fast.

You will need to find a keto calculator to determine your macro requirements (how much fat, protein & carbs you should eat) to lose weight. There are heaps of them about on the web.

Mostly since I love green leafy veg's I'm not finding this hard at all. Giving up potatoes, bread, cakes & bisc's was challenging initially but now I'm discovering 1,000's of recipes that let me have a low carb treat made with butter, almond/coconut flour etc., every now and then. I do feel like I'm cheating on my diet when I have one but so long as I stay within my limits then it's okay.

@Mee - the Keto/very low carb diet might be suitable for you. You'd need to do the research but don't get overawed by the language of it all. Initially it seems a bit counterintuitive - eating fat & protein and few carbs = weight loss??

But it's incredibly satisfying in terms of making one feel full. You'll probably find the first week or two a little strange but after that things settle down.

The fasting isn't an issue if you stop eating early evening (and Keto/low carb satiates you so much it's unlikely you'll be looking for the late night choc's) and re-starting again the next day with a breakfast of eggs, bacon etc really hits the spot. So really you're sleeping through most of your fast.

You will need to find a keto calculator to determine your macro requirements (how much fat, protein & carbs you should eat) to lose weight. There are heaps of them about on the web.

Mostly since I love green leafy veg's I'm not finding this hard at all. Giving up potatoes, bread, cakes & bisc's was challenging initially but now I'm discovering 1,000's of recipes that let me have a low carb treat made with butter, almond/coconut flour etc., every now and then. I do feel like I'm cheating on my diet when I have one but so long as I stay within my limits then it's okay.

I am already low carb - ish. We do have some pasta - but pre cook it and re heat . Any bread is frozen after cooking . But yes- mainly but not exclusively low carb - mainly because of having chickens and eggs.

I clamped down on sugars and simple carbs a couple of months ago as I noticed My taste had gradually become inclined to sweeter things . This was interesting to me as previously on sugar fasts my taste resets in a fairly predictable timeframe - this time it took ages - and I am STILL having sweet food cravings sometimes. I think that’s being after the happy rush ? Very different to previous time’s where it felt more like a gentle reset.

I'm a yoyo! So I do understand both camps? Yes!

For the last twenty years I've been severely underweight and trying to build muscle via swimming and exercise.

Then, idk why - I started to gain weight. Muscle. Fat. Initially there was cause for celebration but then whoops... too far!

So now.....

I'm doing a very low carb, basically Keto diet along with intermittent fasting.

The scales say I'm heading down steadily. I'd like it to drop off faster. But being patient is key.

The really good thing with this diet - I'm never hungry.. and I'm not being silly - honestly!! - It's high fat, medium protein and low carb... so my brain is happy about that.

Overcoming my mild addiction to sugar had me day-dreaming about sugary things. Oddly for things I don't normally eat. Huh?? It only lasted about five days with a mild headache. Just showed me exactly what was happening. So very interesting too.

Now, my appetite is actually much less.
I don't crave sugar at all.

But I do miss baking stuff.. so I've begun researching all of the stuff I can make on this diet and there's a lot of low carb recipes out there to keep me amused. It's simply adjusting to using ingredients that are sitting on the shelves and that I've never picked up and read/used before.

Benefits flowing from this diet:-

I didn't expect those benefits. So yay!

There are some adjustments that my brain and body made after it woke up to the fact that it wasn't going to get sugar to replenish energy with. (About three days in lol...) But understanding what was happening and why made it easier and really not the worst thing I've been through by a country mile. So I stuck with it and they went away.

Imo, quite a healthy diet in terms of nutrients.

I do need to be aware of old habits that signalled to my brain and that resulted in that oh so happy feeling (hello dopamine!) that I was going to feed it sugar and carbs, before I started the diet. So no snacking or if I do a couple of nuts helps.

The science behind this diet is quite strong now so for those that want to research there is ample amount of studies out there to dig into.

I got motivation and inspiration from yt and the many, many low carb or Keto channels. Plus the Net of course. But also one of my children did it for a few years and he loved it.

Do the research and see what you think? I'd be interested in your opinions.

I did it, lost 200 lbs, and fell off the low carb diet.....when I started back on the sodas. Thinking I have a glucose issue.....so tapering back is really hard....I crave sugar........and I'm not even dieting! Good on you for sticking it out.....and good luck with your diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back