• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Support thread for those with weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
.I crave sugar........

^Me too but I was craving ice-cream and honestly I rarely ate it. So weird how our brains respond to different things.

I've just read about cravings. It seems that the more you have of something like sugar, the more our brains send crave signals for that (or it could be anything else I assume idk). Brains like the status quo lol... and they get lazy. Arming us up to digest other types of foods takes work apparently.

^Me too but I was craving ice-cream and honestly I rarely ate it. So weird how our brains respond to different things.

I've just read about cravings. It seems that the more you have of something like sugar, the more our brains send crave signals for that (or it could be anything else I assume idk). Brains like the status quo lol... and they get lazy. Arming us up to digest other types of foods takes work apparently.

I think it was Michael Mosley I saw report on rats and ice cream - it’s a perfect addiction food for the body because of the ratio of fat and sugar - the approx fifty / fifty ratio is apparently the kind of ratio we hook onto most easily . It’s also notable how much sugar is added to savoury precooked/ packet food - gets us ‘ wanting more’ or finding it delicious but not sure why.

As a child I remember finding the macDonalds burger I had unpalatably sweet, and I notice the different sweetness / flavour profiles I. The different places I travel . Now I know my trend is to enjoy sweeter food more - and that’s what I am ‘fighting’ - but understanding why I think is helpful/ that wanting sweet things is a calm from my body to want comfort, to be trying to fight sadness, so finding trying to give it that in other ways is a necessity.

I get bored with all kinds of foods and then have to find new foods to keep my taste buds satisfied. It's an endless job! I guess I'm weird.

I think it’s normal. I use my veg seasonally ( as much as possible) and crave different meals and different times of year. I only really want miso , sauerkraut etc in winter For example. I think it’s to ward of the excess of other indulgences with probiotics ?. I don’t crave radishes through winter, but crave them as soon as I’m sowing seeds in spring - the first radish is the best .

My brain loves Coke. ;(

As a child I remember finding the macDonalds burger I had unpalatably sweet,

^When Mc's first came to a town near us, one of my children nearly killed me with nagging to try a burger. I'll never forget him screwing up his face and trying desperately to find somewhere to spit it out & to put it down when I finally did take him there. None of them think of Mc's as a food source.

My brain loves Coke. ;(

^Just recently my brain switched on to high sugar foods. And they're quite addictive. Hidden sugars in foods should be banned. I wonder if the manufactures were required to highlight sugar in red on their nutrition labels if that'd help.

^When Mc's first came to a town near us, one of my children nearly killed me with nagging to try a burger. I'll never forget him screwing up his face and trying desperately to find somewhere to spit it out & to put it down when I finally did take him there. None of them think of Mc's as a food source.

^Just recently my brain switched on to high sugar foods. And they're quite addictive. Hidden sugars in foods should be banned. I wonder if the manufactures were required to highlight sugar in red on their nutrition labels if that'd help.

I don't know but I bought some tea that said no caffeine and naturally sweetened....it is sweetened with hybiscus-27 grams natural sugar (making it appear natural), and in tiny print, 27 grams added sugar making the sugar content equal to that of a Coke 55 grams of sugar. Sugar is a natural product, too....that was no trade off.

Sugar is a natural product, too

^Wow! That's the problem... just because something is plastered with 'natural' 'organic' etc isn't reassuring and doesn't mean that it's necessarily safe or healthy. I mean uranium, snakes & sharks are natural, organic etc too and well, it's best we don't meddle with them.

I think anything that has been processed or basically meddled with should give us pause to stop and ponder a little on. I know not everyone has the luxury of being able to access whole foods so no judgment from me.

And I know myself that sugar is highly desirable (my brain lights up like a Christmas tree with feel good dopamine) I think because I did start using it to lift my mood - that's where the addiction in respect to ptsd came in to play. I'd given up smokes and lots of other inappropriate false supports and a face-up to sugar was well over-due.

Most stunning to me was I didn't add it into non-baked foods but it was definitely still well and truly entrenched in my diet.

My diet wasn't overly laden with sugar. I didn't drink soda (diet or full strength) and I'm a non alcohol drinker - sort of. Yet, I had a mother of a migraine and then a headache for six days because I stopped all sugars that must have been hidden in other things I was consuming outside of whole foods.

Oddly, once the headache dissipated so did my craving for ice-cream! And I didn't eat ice-cream anyway. Though I'm now looking at making Keto ice-cream lol.

Omg I've just made low-carb avocado, cocoa & cream cheese chocolate mousse!

But I misread the recipe and ate a double portion so I'm flying yahoooo! high on CHOCOLATE atm and feeling really guilty too - simultaneously - like a split in my personality.

And really I'm asking myself (What the hell did you do that for???) Cannot remember the last time I ate chocolate of any variety almost.

It was a no sugar, low carb, high fat mousse but still... and the avocado is good fat... too? wince..cringe...

I feel like I've eaten about ten times something and feel a bit sick tbh - I'm too full... all over chocolate mousse.

I feel I must confess. I often tell ppl bad things about myself when I'm drunk or you know...whatever??

But worse, I've got two more double servings in the fridge... ugh... wonder if I can freeze it??

Then I looked back through my food diary and did the maths. Got the guilts even more.

I've lost 6.5 pounds or about 3 kgs in 20 days & BMI has come down 1.5 %. Yay!

I'm doing intermittent fasting too and honestly I'm not hungry... which means the inner evil fat person in me wanted to sabotage all of my determination and the future healthy person I've got my mind set on. And laid chocolate mousse land mines on my path to success.... ugh... I hate myself...!!

And you know... as much as it was really delicious... it wasn't worth it. It's a bit like secret sex... hmmm... huh??

This issue came about bc I was researching low carb recipes for spiced chicken... I mean you get it don't you, the connection is right there and quite obvious...? ch....chicken.... ch....chocolate.... easy to see... ??

I've got a big fat distended gut and I feel like a chocolate beach ball.... whew...

Sorry - minor rant there...fuelled by chocolate

Someone who I trust told me that she, being a caregiver, was unable to help a three hundred pound woman to walk at all. Since the woman is unable to walk, she's been sitting in her wheelchair for five days! The woman was sitting in her diaper for five days, can you imagine?

This finally scared me enough to want to lose weight. I have slowly climbed up in size from a medium to 3X in about 15 years! I surely do not want to end up in a situation like that woman is in. As it is, I weigh about 220 pounds now. 80 more pounds, and I could, it's so scary!

Just as the medicine Victoza for blood sugar is helping me to lose weight, the inhalers I use for COPD are causing me to gain. So it is a little bit of give and take. I have lost weight, but from 3 months ago I have actually gained 3 lbs. I have a total of about 48 lbs to lose to be at a comfortable weight. I will keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back