• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Terrified to the point of physical illness over COVID test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangelongtrip

MyPTSD Pro
Hey everyone, I travelled recently, through COVID-heavy states, and have been quarantining since then. My 14 days are up next Tuesday. I wear a mask around the people I live with and we stay 6 feet apart. I have had no symptoms, I had a bout of dizziness and allergies when I first got back (but I think that's because I was dehydrated and have an illness that flares when I don't drink enough water), but no actual symptoms. I was supposed to get tested this Tuesday, but woke up so anxious I was nauseous, and ended up throwing up. I cancelled my test, and felt better. I rescheduled for tomorrow morning and now am having so much anxiety I feel like I'm going to throw up again.

I am so paranoid that I will get infected from the drive-up testing site. I read an article that contaminated tests actually infected people. I don't want to take that risk (I had to travel, but I was EXTREMELY cautious. I didn't even take my mask off for the entire 6-7 hours of flying, hence the dehydration). If I don't have symptoms, is it worth it? Can I just wait out the 14 days and track to make sure I have no symptoms? I'm in contact with my grandparents, but haven't been since I got back. I wanted to get tested to protect them, but I am going to throw up again if I have to go to the site. I'm having panic attacks. Thank you.

I am not sure how it is in the US but in other countries it is possible to swab yourself at home and send it in to be analyzed.
I have heard that there are self tests for at home that work like pregnancy tests. In some countries they can be bought in drug stores. However I heard they are less reliable and I don’t know if they are available in the US.

Have you got someone that could take you? So that you can focus on your breathing etc?

Have you got any anti-nausea medication (super helpful in situations like this).

Are you able to use skills (like breathing skills) to bring your panic down?

Because - there's loads of ways to get Covid. But a drive thru testing facility is very low risk. The person doing the testing has specific training in how not to transmit the virus, and is cleaning all necessary things regularly, unlike everywhere else in the community.

If you live somewhere like the US where there is a lot of community transmission right now, and you plan to visit your grandmother? It's worth working through this anxiety.

Sorry this is causing you so much stress.

Just so I'm clear – is it that you have to have a test at this point – because you've travelled through states that are significantly affected by Covid so, official guidance where you are says you must have a test now?

Or is it that you just want to be sure yourself that you're Covid-free before you visit your grandparents?

If it's the latter and you have been self-isolating and not had any symptoms by this point, I would continue to self-isolate until the 14 day period is up and not bother with the test.

Are the other people in your household also isolating?

Have you got someone that could take you? So that you can focus on your breathing etc?

I live with my parents but I don't think they're willing to take me. They don't think I need a test.

Have you got any anti-nausea medication (super helpful in situations like this).

I don't unfortunately. CBD helps somewhat.

Are you able to use skills (like breathing skills) to bring your panic down?

I already had a panic attack and am still anxious, but I did cancel the test. I'm still anxious, though. trying breathing now.

If you live somewhere like the US where there is a lot of community transmission right now, and you plan to visit your grandmother? It's worth working through this anxiety.

My state isn't that bad, to be honest, but I passed through two hot spots. I'm past the 5-7 day usual incubation period, but I'm waiting the whole 14 days. My grandparents are honestly super lax about it, despite being high risk. My grandfather is still actively working at an office where someone tested positive last week on the floor below him, and he won't listen to anyone. My cousin who lives with them works in public and has been in contact with people who's pets have had COVID, and they don't care. My grandparents live in the same neighborhood as me.

Just so I'm clear – is it that you have to have a test at this point – because you've travelled through states that are significantly affected by Covid so, official guidance where you are says you must have a test now?

Or is it that you just want to be sure yourself that you're Covid-free before you visit your grandparents?

It was that I wanted to be COVID free before visiting my grandparents. I haven't seen anything about the official guidance being I need a test. But my parents and I are about to move to the absolute epicenter of COVID, bc they are stupid (sorry, that's mean, but seriously. We're in a safe state. It was their plan before this but like....alter the plan lol).

Are the other people in your household also isolating?

No, they are not. They've been around my grandparents. I wear my mask around them (the people in my household, my parents) and stay 6 feet from them though. I've had no symptoms or anything. I was exposed to infected people before and either didn't catch it, or was asymptomatic (and there's no way for me to know, and that was months ago).

Like I'm being overly cautious compared to the rest of my family who lives in the neighborhood. My aunt and uncle who also live here had a friend from NYC over and my cousins stayed with my grandparents and great aunt without quarantining after visiting with them. I feel like I'm the only one who actually cares.

I cancelled the test and am just going to quarantine for the remaining 6 days or so. It's honestly been good for me to rest.

Honestly....from all you've written, I would just not do the test if it's causing you this much distress. Isolate the entire 14 days and you should be fine. I don't see an additional benefit from doing the test. Peace of mind...maybe....but if it's causing you these kinds of panic attacks, I really don't think it's worth it, because you'll get peace of mind just as much if you quarantine long enough and remain symptom free (and even if you <were> asymptomatic, you're doing all precautions to not infect anyone else, so you should be good)

thank you @siniang thats what I’m gonna do, I feel sorta embarrassed about the whole thing. I had not trouble traveling cross country but getting a test, which is safer? Total meltdown

I totally get it. I've been postponing a follow up diagnostic since November because.... terrified of doing it (not the procedure itself, the possible results .... which I totally get is totally counter-productive ... but anxiety doesn't care for logic)

I agree with @siniang If you have been staying home, social distancing from people in your household and haven't had any symptoms, I really don't see much point in having the test. Especially since it is causing you so much distress. I would keep isolating for the remainder of the time so you know you have done the full 14 day period. And, if after that you still haven't had a symptom, I think all is good.

The tests are said to be most reliable if done within the first three days of first symptom anyway, so it's actually a pretty short window for optimum reliability anyway.

And, to be honest, if the other people in your household are not self-isolating and they are mixing with your grandparents and your grandparents are being pretty lax about things themselves....I don't see that you taking a test is really going to make any difference.

Well, I've had the test ( due to surgery) and the test is really no big deal. They stick one different brush under each nostril and package each brush away. The tester is covered from head to toe in plastic uniform, wearing face shield and gloves. Everyone generally leaves the window up on their car, after they get in line. I went to the drive-thru. So that's the big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back