• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

therapy traumatized me

Status
Not open for further replies.

aicsys

New Here
hi, so im 16 and about a year ago i finally stopped seeing my therapist that id been seeing since i was 8 or 9, when my trauma first hit. my therapist took advantage of it. she uh, well i wont go into details, but she gave me more trauma to deal with. and i always see things telling you to go therapy if you're traumatized blah blah you get it but the truth is im terrified. after my experience ive been really anti therapy and i dont know how to go back to therapy to resolve trauma if its part of what traumatized me in the first place. can anyone help?

It’s hard at 16 because your parents still have a say on who you see. As an adult, you can interview therapists and ask around. I find that looking up reviews will help get you get started but the interview is the best way to go. I was traumatized by my first therapist as an adult. I had never been to therapy before and didn’t know what to expect. This therapist that scared me actually passed me on to my current T, who is great. So maybe she wasn’t so bad. She realized my situation needed someone else. I’m sorry that you had a bad experience and hope that you will have a better experience this go around.

Would a group setting therapy where you do not have to speak, per se, but listen and ground yourself work?

Would a group setting therapy where you do not have to speak, per se, but listen and ground yourself work?
maybe? i have autism and i dont do very well in social situations so i havent tried it but it could if i meet more people like me through it
It’s hard at 16 because your parents still have a say on who you see. As an adult, you can interview therapists and ask around. I find that looking up reviews will help get you get started but the interview is the best way to go. I was traumatized by my first therapist as an adult. I had never been to therapy before and didn’t know what to expect. This therapist that scared me actually passed me on to my current T, who is great. So maybe she wasn’t so bad. She realized my situation needed someone else. I’m sorry that you had a bad experience and hope that you will have a better experience this go around.
thank you /gen
yeah we've been going to the same place since i was a kid so my mom doesnt wanna try a different place, which i kinda do cause i feel like all the therapists at our current place are just like.. too similar if that makes sense. she does want me to see a gender therapist since im trans though, so maybe i can find a gender therapist who can refer me to a mental health one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back