• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Things We've Learned About Self Since Participating In Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've learnt I'm not alone.

That I've come a long way.

That there are people much worse than me.

That I am pretty creative in my ways of fighting my PTSD

Sharing solutions/points of view can really help others.

My determined (stubborn) nature helps and hinders me.

I have learnt That even though I feel like am th eonly one in the world who feels like this Im not!!
I have learnt that True friend is there for good and bad days even when they are struggling and that is so valuable.
I learnt that admitting im hurting and don't know how to deal with this does not make me weak, and less of a person,
most of all I have learnt that it may seem very far away but there can be good days when you have PTSD that it will never go away but I will learn to live with it and to make it work for me.

Bloody well done Cass... things are finally clicking for you. Excellent news... the truth, nothing more, nothing less, well done Cass.

I have learned that I have some major issues that I need to work on. I didn't believe it until I read a post I had made and realized just how serious PTSD is. Up to that point, I didn't take it so serious, I thought of it as more of a nuisance, like a fly I could swat away.

But after I read what I had written, I knew I HAD to do something. I sought help the next day. So I guess I also learned to reach out for help ,and accept it instead of fighting it or making excuses.

I've also learned that people can like me and accept me for who I am.

I hadn't seen this and immediately it touches me very very deep because wow!! I can feel the tears......

I feel so understood here, like finally here is where people get me and here is where I am finally getting some answers to what has been happening to me my whole life. I have tried everything. Not that the paths I have taken haven't been helpful along the way, they have, but I was still left with 'echos' and shadows.

I'm so very grateful for all the hard work and especially the time put into this forum. Thank you to those of you who so openly share and those who add your spirit here. I appreciate it more than you can ever know. Everything I write is very difficult for me. My brain is usually in 5 different places at once and I am never sure what I want to say comes out the way I mean.

Thank you.

Rain

Since I've found this forum I've learned...

• That I was doing all the "wrong" things as a carer.
  • That I needed to give "N" space when she asked for it, because it wasn't me she was trying to get away from, it was her own demons.
  • That I was trying entirely too hard to take on her problems and "fix them".
  • That I need to back off sometimes.
  • That just because she's dealing with her own issues doesn't mean I have to continually degrade myself, it's not my fault and it's not my place to do anything but support her through the bad times.
  • That when she can't sleep, it's because there's too much going on in her head for her to slow down and relax, and fussing at her for it gets nothing accomplished.
  • Even though it was hard for me to admit, she knows herself better than I do. She knows if she doesn't feel comfortable taking a certain medication or when her body is tired and needs sleep. My nagging and fussing doesn't help one bit.
  • This is NOT about me.
  • I can either accept her as she is and love her and support her or I can ruin the love we share by being so controlling and demanding. I'll chose option # 1 please! :-)

I've learned that no matter how completely alone I may feel, There is somebody somewhere that can understand and relate.
I've learned that I'm not crazy. and that I am the way I am for a reason. With this.. I am trying to learn/accept that trauma from the past will only shape me into a stronger person.
I've learned that I need to listen to my gut when its trying to tell me something.
I've learned that its okay to take meds (le sigh) and also that no med in the world is magic and will fix everything.
I've learned to accept that the things in my past really DID effect me. Even the things that were just emotionally neglectful....they still matter.
I've learned that there really are some people out there that will stand up for me.
I've learned to try and remember how far I've come, even though I usually don't feel I've come very far at all....learned to give myself a pat on the back for actually leaving the abuse, or I wouldn't be here at all.

I've learned that I can reach out for help and I will actually receive it.
I've learned that I have something of value to offer others.
I've learned that I can trust myself and that I do not have to be afraid of people.
I've learned that not everything is my responsibility or my fault.
I've learned that I have come a long way on my healing journey and that I have a right to be proud.

I've learned to appreciate just barely perceptible improvements... and learned how to notice when they happen more quickly.

I've learned about myself that more often than not I focus more on coping strategies and solutions, than my stress/fear/anxiety/frustration.

I've learned that my subconsciousness is no necessarily my enemy, that it is warning or trying to give me messages to initiate change, avoid pitfalls, or to caution me ahead of unsafe people or situations.

I've learned to accept, if not wholely trust, the wisdom of others particularly in recovery groups.

I've learned that most of the distress is a double bind... that the cure is relationships and learning how to trust again, but that the damage from traumas make it distressing and fearful for me. I got one way to get there and that's through finding trust and building safe relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back