• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Unable To Deal With News/world Events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can totally understand how you feel. I have dogs that I had prior to my illness (and are the only reason I am still here as they gave me purpose and got me through when I was seriously considering ending my life), who I have had to 'house train' to use puppy mats during the times I don't feel able to venture outside. Even when I am able to exercise them outside, should I see a person, hear a noise I cannot explain etc. I have to return home immediately and secure my home accordingly.

Yep, there is a reason I own a pitbull. A very VERY sweet dog, well trained, but still protective. So though he loves people and what not, if he thinks someone, even someone he knows well and loves, is about to hurt me, he is on top of that.

Dont think many would try. He was raised with 4 kids for 2 years and so his temperment is wonderful and gentle but he is protective all everyone. Including if you yell "help". He's like Lassie and goes to find someone lol. I never trained him to do that.

Makes it hard to watch horror movies though. Sometimes he thinks the screams are real lol.

@SMW83, thank you for sharing your situation... my suggestion would be to utilize the forum. Very versatile subjects, posts and articles. People from all over the world here. A lot of information is shared in regard to books, videos, ect....Being isolated doesn't always mean we have to be alone... I encourage you to look around... read articles... view some threads... take your time and you will find people you connect with, or who you feel understand.. this is a wonderful place full of support for us.. and to give support if we can... I wish you well and again, I am glad you shared . You can come on anytime... some one is always here... Sending Gentle hugs for sharing your circumstances. If you are not ready for the hugs, put them up on a shelf, and take one down as you need it....:tup:

So today I find myself utterly shocked, appalled, disgusted and heartbroken at a further incident in France (which I won't post here as I do not wish to upset or make others aware, when like me, they try not involve themselves in media).

Although the other attacks/deaths etc. have affected me, this 'attack' really is beyond comprehension and has shook me to my very core. I feel sick, keep crying and have a physical pain in my chest because of it. Again, I don't know what posting here will achieve however it has given me somewhere to convey my feelings and overwhelming disbelief at what the world is coming to...

@SMW83, it is very overwhelming and produces so much powerlessness in us. It's not tha...

That's exactly how I feel, powerless. I find it completely incomprehensible how anyone could do these things. I currently have such an overwhelming amount of different feelings, sadness, confusion, anger, even utter hatred towards these people.

It means a lot to know that I am not alone here.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the world feels as we do right now... And the media plays things up and then that is all we hear and see... i.e., my reasons for needing to stay away from the majority of it.. There is so much good in this world. So many awesome people doing wonderful things. For me, it comes down to the choices I make about what I want in my head... I am not an ostrich with my head buried in the sand, but I am a human that can only take so much cruelty and injustice. My feeling all upset about the things going on right now changes nothing. Unless I choose to get involved with this movement or that one.... make a contribution for righting the wrongs. If I am unable or unwilling to do that, I have to put my focus elsewhere... do something that will make a small difference in the world.... I am not a PollyAnna, I see the truth of what is happening. It is so upsetting and so evil. So, I have to ask what can I do to counterpoint that... simply opening a door for an elder makes a difference....
So I really hope you get to find something to put your great energy into.... that helps you feel better about the world we live in.... gentle hugs to you and hope things get better for you as time goes on...

I feel sick, keep crying and have a physical pain in my chest because of it.

You're being triggered. Stop watching the news so much. I dont watch the news at all, not even local news. What i know comes from my dad whom watches it all day long and i even muzzle him a lot.

It doesnt mean I care any less. Actually its the opposite, I care too much. I have too much empathy. It effects me too much. So I limited my contact with it. Its managing your exposure to with triggers. Its not wrong to do that.

I think if I watched the news Id be really obsessive over it too. I dont think that needs a therapist to advise why, though Im not saying not to tell them, just saying, to me, its obvious why.

You're being triggered. Stop watching the news so much. I dont watch the news at all, not e...
As you will see from reading my original post, I actively and fiercely avoid watching or reading the news. However, the news is literally everywhere, TV, radio, phones etc so it is almost impossible for some news not to filter through.

It is easy for people to say to ignore it or as you have, to not watch it, but unless I cut off all communication to the outside world and never switch on my tv, answer my phone or access the internet, I am still going to be aware of what is happening in the world.

Then learn how to desensitize yourself. Use techniques shared all over this forum.. use headphones or earbuds with your favorite music. Get funny movies to watch. A myriad of things to do instead of being so upset over things you can not change... figure out ways to distract yourself, Read every and anything you can get your hands on to learn how to tune it out.... I empathize with you.... but I have to find ways to deal with the things that drive me bat shit crazy.... Hoping you find some distractions today, all that's going on in the world is overwhelming for all of us... Glad you reached out and told us how upsetting this is for you... so hope you have a better day today. Gentle hugs if you accept.

I do understand being so overwhelmed and feeling powerless... so hope something comes together for you and helps ease out some of the tension and anxiety.... it always means a lot to not be alone, but especially now with everything going on around us... It is a very frightening time. Made more so by the various means of media... but we still get to live our lives... and sometimes for us, it's harder than it has to be , but it is what it is...
So, really hoping you are feeling better today and not so anxious... have you ever done an art form called Zentangles? I encourage you to Google it... there are others here who do it.. it is very relaxing, creative and interesting... you don't have to have all the fancy pens and papers... you can use pens you have and a paper bag if you want !!! Be creative.... sending you gentle hugs.... and breathe... don't forget to breathe!!!

However, the news is literally everywhere, TV, radio, phones etc so it is almost impossible for some news not to filter through.

No its not as my dad is always saying "did you hear about such and such" and also says a lot "you really dont hear of any news do you?" Now, on the radio is where I heard about the local Pulse shooting BUT if I wanted, I could have turned the channel when any news started to broadcast.

Think it like filtering what triggers you here. Most avoid an entire area they cant handle (new/politics & for some diaries) and titles that make it obvious you wont be able to handle it; and then stop reading a thread when part of the way through you find you arent able to handle it. As you see even on here, sometimes you have to be reading (hearing about news) and learn you cant handle it and starting to trigger you so you leave the thread (change the channel, radio station, subject etc).

Managing your triggers is exactly the same out in the world as it is here. Its impossible in any form to not hear of/read something possibly triggering and hell, that could also be your favorite show because of where you are mentally or the plot line but then it is on you to identify this is triggering (news is an already known one) then to remove the trigger (or i allow some as after the trigger is self awareness that allows step foward or just simply desenititation but there are good and not good times to do this) by changing the channel (radio/tv), leaving the thread, changing the subject, walking away etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back