• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Unable to find words and make coherent sentences, lasting for days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calm in the chaos

MyPTSD Pro
I originally posted about this in my diary, but I think if I make a separate thread it’ll be easier for users to see.

For the past couple days I haven’t been able to speak, like I haven’t been able to find any words/not being able to string a sentence together. Like I know what I want say but without the thoughts or the words to explain it(?). It was petrifying. And the words I was using were apparently not right (grammatically), In the wrong order, and even a few completely made up ones. It was the same when I was trying to write. It’s kind of a little trickier then usual to think right now but I’m 95% back to normal. It lasted for 2 or 3 days? 3 days of pure incoherence. I’m freaking out a little. When I’m really stressed I forget words sometimes and I have to point to things, but not like, every thought coming out completely unintelligible. I’m not sure if I’m explaining this well.

I think people could still kind of tell what I was saying, if they kind of knew was I was on about. Google is giving me no answers right now other then something that happens after someone’s suffered a stroke, which I obviously haven’t.

Has anyone else struggled with this, or know what the hell it is? I’m very glad I’m back to normal-ish now but it’s really scaring me.

(Also no idea which area to post this in, apologies if it’s in the wrong place)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll chime in with my experience, but it may not help at all. First I would say that now that you can talk, tell this to a medical professional to make sure you do/did not have a neurological issue, or some other medical problem happen.

For me, I had about two days of in and out dissociation when my world fell apart, mentally speaking. When I would come back to reality, I could barely talk, I sounded drunk, I was slurring words...it was almost like I forgot how to talk. I ended up going into a an IOP (like a daytime partial psych hospital, but I got to go home each day). They said it was trauma-related, that my brain was basically saying 'it's time to deal with all this' (what an F'd up way of telling me) and they put me on a bunch of mood stabilizers to get me, well, stabilized. I think for me, too much stress in my life, a rather large trigger and then a flood of flashbacks caused the dam to finally break. I've been working on my trauma and my PTSD since then.

Maybe for you, you're in a safe enough place that your mind is starting to allow itself to start the healing process, too?

I had a lady in the aftercare with me remember a ton a childhood stuff she had repressed all her life. It came back all at once. It was so intense it caused her to have a speech impediment...it sounded as though she were partailly deaf. The hospital had a medical diagnosis for it, that is how common it is for trauma survivors to experience.

So, the brain is amazing and will do all it has to do to protect and help you survive when it has to, but at some point it has to start healing itself and drags you along for the ride.

With all that said, please be gentlebon yourself and tell your professional team what you have experienced so you can get some extra support on this. It is very scary. I'm glad you decided to share it here.

dunno if it is anywhere near the same, but i started life with a speech defect that held me nearly mute until early adolescence. not quite stuttering, but definitely not right. years of speech therapy corrected the problem, for the most part, but the speech defect still rises anew under stressful conditions. i no longer dissociate when my tongue starts twisting, but i muchly prefer to isolate until it passes.

i've never found a theory which resonates on the why of it. just another thing that makes me go, "hmmmmm"

Maybe for you, you're in a safe enough place that your mind is starting to allow itself to start the healing process, too?
I am the safest I’ve been in a while, I’m in emergency accommodation, so I’m pretty on edge still. But, I guess the hyper-vigilance of a bunch of men living in the building is nowhere near as scary as what was happening before I got here.
a rather large trigger and then a flood of flashbacks caused the dam to finally break.
It’s been fairly similar for me too,
So, the brain is amazing and will do all it has to do to protect and help you survive when it has to, but at some point it has to start healing itself and drags you along for the ride.
But I really can’t do this right now
but the speech defect still rises anew under stressful conditions.
Oh, stress does weird shit. I have something similar to you, but with being mute. As a kid starting school I wouldn’t talk, i would say the absolute bare minimum, like answering the register and asking to go to the bathroom, but that was it.

As I got older it got better, but I was still considered pretty shy and quiet. I never got real help for it, though, and now after trauma stuff I really struggle to talk in general, but similarly to you, when I’m in any stressful situation and my words are gone completely again.

i muchly prefer to isolate until it passes.
Me too, I find it embarrassing, and everyone feels the need to point it out.

There was a similar thread
Thanks, gonna check this out

Me too, I find it embarrassing, and everyone feels the need to point it out.

oddly enough, shy never was on my psycho smorgasbord and i'm pretty hard to embarrass, but when i push past the speech defect, i turn into a hyper-expressive moron. 'tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

nobody seems to dare point mine out to me. i am told i am a master of "the evil eye." and to think. . . i didn't even need classes, but there are messages that travel more clearly without words. words are so imprecise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back