• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Heard a soup being discussed on Splendid Table podcast that I want to recreate tomorrow. It’s from Nik Sharma’s book “Veg-Table”. There are no amounts. Am writing it here to remember.

Roasted carrot and apple soup with Harissa.

First, make harissa substitute, if needed.
Toast dried chiles and garlic cloves in dry cast iron until smoky. Remove and set aside garlic. In a dish, pour boiling hot water over chiles just until covered and soak at least 30 minutes. Toast some cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds about 2 mins. Grind.
Take the soaked Chiles out and remove stems. Chop along with the garlic. Combine with ground up spices, tomato paste, and chili powder. Optional add smoky paprika or rose water. Process into a paste. Add apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. I have Meyer lemons so I think I’ll add coarsely chopped lemon with rind during the processing/blending/grinding stage. Side note: I did not know that rose water addition was a thing until researching harissa just now and I’m curious if the rose harissas are less spicy and smoky? Not sure. Trying to picture the flavors of smoke and rose together, let alone bringing heat and rose together 🤔

Anywho! Now we have the harissa, time for the soup and pay attention because there’s something you might not have seen before…

Chop the carrots and apples. Season however you like (I’ll probably just do salt.) But also… season with a pinch of baking soda!! Yep! I’ve been soaking my beans in baking soda brine but have never put it on roasting veggies. According to Sharma, it softens the starch by breaking down the pectin and also makes the Maillard reaction happen quicker so they get golden without drying out as much. (Personally I love the little veg jerkies, but for soup might be nice to keep them a bit plumper.)

Okay so roast those babies (now this part I’m not sure of which is the temp. Since the baking soda is speeding things up maybe I roast a bit lower than usual? Say 325 or 350?)

Then supposedly for the soup you just blend the roasted carrots and apples with water, ginger, lemon, and harissa. Again, with the Meyer I might add some peel.

There you have it. Oh, if I had some pomegranates I would definitely sprinkle with those! And maybe a bit of chopped parsley.

I deboned an entire turkey, filled it with stuffing , rolled it up and tied it together baked it.
photo_2023-12-24_11-51-01.jpg

8F71686E-9098-4C65-A3C4-1240436DECD8.jpeg

photo_2023-12-26_00-32-54.jpg

The recipe

Aaaaargh.

I forgot to put the chooks to marinate last night. >.< So tonight’s dinner is tomorrow (teriyaki chicken & chicken satay, IE some like it hot 🔥 and some like it sweet & smokey. So that’s easy. For tooooooomorrow).

What. To. Make. For. Tonight?!?

Think think think think think think think think think.

I’m a bear of very little brain. 🎈

Gyros last night.
??? Today ???
Chicken & Rice tomorrow.

Maybe soup & sammies? I hate food. Food is my enemy.
<glares at unprepped chicken>
It’s just sittin there. All naked. And laughing at me.

Last edited:
I do no knead bread all the time. My grand daughter requests it regularly. Her favourite birthday dinner would be home made pierogies, Christina Tosi’s Birthday Cake, which was a true pain the first time Ii made it, and Grandmas no knead bread. The only thing healthy is the onions….before i fry them in a mound of butter!

This is the first time I’ve made no-knead bread and it makes me wonder why people even knead to begin with?
((It activates the gluten, altering the texture; faces the dough in the “same” way/direction, which also alters the texture as well as baking times; and mixes ingredients evenly far more than any other method -clay is kneeded before use for the same reasons, they’d be crumbly and lumpy and misshapen and explode in the kiln, otherwise. Bread is much more forgiving.))

It’s ALSO how I survived my childhood! 😎 So says my father. Who bakes on the weekends. IE great stress relief, exercise & medatative all in one!
🥖 🍞 🥯

He has about 800 recipes he uses on a regular basis, roughly half of them require at least an hour of kneeding. I grew up on THOSE breads, but hadn’t had many of them lately, until my brother started spawning little girls. Over the holidays? My dad baked a lot. A whole lot.

Enough of the sloppy almost under cooked or cooked to some new form of rubber Scrambled Eggs!!!!

It peeves me a bit because the technique is so easy, you can make them after reading this - real easy.

Put your pan on the stove/cooker whatever you call it. Set the heat to medium low, on my range its about 4.

Basics - to dilute, if you are not milf sensitive, 1 tbsp per egg of the highest milk fat content milk or cream you have.
- If you are milk sensitive - use water or oat milk almond milk whatever.

Season - salt, pepper, seasoned salt, dill, chives, what have you.

Whip, whisk or in my house use a fork in the Spongebob mug to whip the eggs. 30 seconds of vigorous mixing until its mostly homogounus - in other words no globby bits and the yolks are well mixed in.

By the time you have done that - put your butter or cooking lube in the pan. It is important that if you use butter the pan is hot enough the butter melts and foams. This means if you put a spoonful of egg in the pan it should skin and cook almost immediately. Don't start cooking until the pan is at temp!!!

So pan is at temp - turn the heat down to low - on my range just between 2-3. The heavier the pan - the more you can turn it down at this point. The carried heat in the pan is enough to cook the eggs but slows cooking so you aren't worried they will get overdone so they are undercooked or you go zipping by perfectly done to hard and rubbery.
**Big note: when cooking for a crowd, wait until your your eggs have formed curds but are still a little bit runny before turning down the heat.

Put your eggs in and give them 20-30 seconds to start cooking. Then carry on stirring and scrambling.

Since we turned the heat down - it will be easier to get to that perfect doneness where there a little sheen of wet but eggs are all cooked, but not end up with a new form of rubber....

Truth is - this works for all forms of egg cooking in a pan to avoid turning them hard and rubbery. You can even cook to over well where the yolks are cooked and still have eggs that are soft and pull apart with a fork. Usually for fried eggs - I turn the burner off entirely when I flip the eggs. How cooked they get is then a function of how long they stay in the pan.

Back