What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

@LuckiLee , I keep Ghiradelli brownie mix on hand, I love to bake, but quite honestly no difference between these and most home made recipes, and the ease factor is great. If I want to fancy it up I chop a few (salted) nuts, add a few extra choc. Chips, and for a real hip widener make a chocolate ganache to pour over. With a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a puff of whipped cream, decadent. But mostly, I just make it according to package directions. My grands always want Grandma’s brownies….. no problem. Five in a box from Costco.

How are you making the homemade
I have this problem where I hardly ever repeat a recipe 😬 (the whole novelty and dopamine cycle) so I just try whatever and I wasn’t able to keep track but I know that when I made the homemade ones I have done all the versions which IIRC were mostly either double boiler or mix like cake. My memory of homemade ones was dense and too heavy on the chocolate (yeah I’m one of those annoying people who gets overwhelmed by chocolate so maybe brownies know that and won’t give because I won’t appreciate them.).

When I made the box ones they came out greasy but maybe because I used egg substitute? (Flax meal and water which usually works fine in cookies and cakes).

In my mind a good brownie is soft, so that if it’s big enough it won’t hold up in your hand like a cookie or cake might. The edges might have some crunch and chew but the center is soft and the flavor is chocolatey but also… buttery? I like when the salt plays off the sweet.

I welcome your tried and true recipes. (Am having Deja vu, I might have asked for this before.). And I get that the chocolate density is a preference thing so that makes this tricky. Maybe adding extra vanilla and less chocolate would be a thing. I don’t have the motivation to try out different recipes so I gave up.

When I made the box ones they came out greasy but maybe because I used egg substitute? (Flax meal and water which usually works fine in cookies and cakes).
This will definitely have something to do with it!

I could give you a fairly foolproof recipe for a blondie? It’s made with white chocolate instead of dark, and it’s less heavy on the chocolate, i put pecan nuts and extra dark choc chips in mine, it’s not too sweet.

Can you switch out the chocolate and make it the brownie in a 1:1 ratio?
Nope, different quantities. Similar method though.

I can give you my very well tried and test brownie recipe? Once you have the basic recipe you can experiment with what you add. I have a habit of perfecting a basic and then going ham. So I love the basic blondie recipe with pecans, dark chocolate and raspberries in. I’m partial to cherry in my brownie 😍

I could talk baking alllllllll day 🤣🙈

Try Bob’s Redmill Egg-Replacer.

It’s BASICALLY a flax egg (all the gloop but minus the heavy / flax-oily husks that drag down) and a few lofty-binders (OMFG. LOVE not having to dig out all my Asian starches/flours).

embracing the winter weather (though fortunately, I am living where I don't have to experience it) and making stuffed pepper soup. It is souper easy, I usually have the ingredients on hand and I can freeze the leftovers for lunches during the week.

Stuffed pepper soup

I’m making red pepper soup tonight… so I’m glad I caught this before I blended it smooth! Easy-easy to just pull out about a third of the softened veg to roll over into stuffed pepper soup tomorrow! Never woulda thought of it.

Mediterranean Red Pepper Soup

EVOO
4 Red peppers
2 stalks of celery
1 carrot
1 red onion
1 big clove of garlic
1 pinch of smoked paprika
1 dash of cayenne
Veggie stock to cover (or beef stock)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh herbs (basil, or fines herbs, or cilantro)
(optional) Splash of lemon, or swirl of cream, or both.

Roughly chop all veg, and sauté in EVOO until softened.
Cover with stock
Season
Cook for 30-60 minutes & then hit with an immersion blender, or cool and high speed blender it and reheat.

Top with fresh herbs, optional lemon or cream, and I highly reccomend crusty bread for dunking!

Back