• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

I made Jamaican beef Pattie’s based on this recipe.
Did it on three separate days! One day to make the short crust dough (stored in fridge), one day to make the meat (stored in fridge) and one day to assemble and bake. Better to assemble with cold meat anyway so as not to melt the butter in the dough. They look so pretty! Haven’t tasted yet. But feeling proud. Will freeze for future meals.
IMG_4021.jpeg

They taste good and filling. @Friday I can’t imagine not having the crust, as the filling is so rich that it needs to play off the muted flavors of the dough. I found out that in Jamaica they put it between white bread—the whole hand pie with the crust goes between some kind of sweet bread similar to King’s Hawaiian in flavor.

My daughter even ate one which is a pretty big accomplishment for me.

I made Jamaican beef Pattie’s based on this recipe.
Did it on three separate days! One day to make the short crust dough (stored in fridge), one day to make the meat (stored in fridge) and one day to assemble and bake. Better to assemble with cold meat anyway so as not to melt the butter in the dough. They look so pretty! Haven’t tasted yet. But feeling proud. Will freeze for future meals.View attachment 64674
OMFG… I was CRAVING these last night!

Get yer arse on over here! (Had gyros instead).

KIND OF… this

Kind of = beef mince, mushrooms, onions, garlic, rosemary, redwine, & frozen peas/carrots…. As that’s almost the base for my regular cottage pie (sub cubed chuck for beef mince). So, the same flavor profile of what I usually do, in a means I usually don’t! 😁

I am LOVING this bloke. Whilst about half of his videos are (decent! good! yay!) music+assembly? The other half he’s talking and shows ALL the tricks. And, bless him, he measures by fingers! (Which is how I was taught to measure, I go a bit cross eyed with numerical measurement, that isn’t weight). So I feel like I’m standing behind him in the line, being taught either new dishes or this house’s way of doing things (except it would take half as much time, on the line, he’s being super patient).

AKA I fell into rather a lot of sashimi grade salmon this morning & wanted to refresh my memory before having at. So glad I did.

And, bless him, he measures by fingers!
🤣 I learned to cook from my maternal Grandmother (German- family moved to North Dakota pre-WW1) mostly. Never considered using a measuring device for the most part until I started my baking career with a series of disasters....

All American Potato Salad

2 large eggs (optional)
2 pounds (4 medium) Yukon Gold Potatos
3 tablespoons dill pickle juice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles (dill pickle relish is a quick sub.)
1/2 cup Mayo
1/4 cup Sour cream
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 rib celery chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
pepper

If using eggs - boil, peel, and chop coarse.

Cube and cook potatoes in 4 quarts of water with 1 tablespoon salt and cook for 7-10 minutes. While they are cooking combine 2 tablespoons pickle juice and the mustard in a bowl.

Spread Potatoes evenly on cookie sheet and drizzle with pickle juice/mustard. Let sit until warm (or totally cooled)

Combine the remaining pickle juice, pickles, mayo, sour cream, onions, celery, celery seed and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add potatoes and gently coat in dressing.

Cool 30 minutes to a day. Stir in eggs before serving. Check seasoning.

I’m not afraid to make soy-based sauces anymore! Not afraid to mix stuff together 😌. I really wanted a sweet soy ginger sauce for pan-fried salmon and I did it!

It really helps to keep in mind the flavor profiles that generally work. I learned from a cook who had a show about ten years ago called something like acid-fat-heat-salt. And I add sweet to that.

So my sauce: grate garlic and ginger on the Parmesan side of a box grater. Put in a small dish with some soy sauce for the base (I use liquid aminos). Then I added chili pepper flakes, a few drops of fish sauce, a little bit of rice vinegar and then sugar until it had the sweetness I liked, then high turned out to be a good amount, at least equal to the soy sauce. So it had a thickish consistency and that worked well because it caramelized easily. Also added toasted sesame oil.

I heated up a small amount of coconut oil in a non-stick-ish omelette pan. Then put the fillet in on skin side when it was ready to sizzle. I let it cook until it was about a third of the way cooked. Put a teeny bit of sea salt on the flesh. Then poured the sauce over, reserving some. Let it cook another minute or so until it the cooking was about half way up then carefully flipped it. I let it cook a minute or two more then turned the heat off because I have an electric range and let it sit while I prepared the plate with rice. I used one of those fish soup bowls, which are lovely.

Then I put the fillet next to the chicken ice and poured the rest of the sauce over. I also tried to get as much of the little caramelly chewy bits out of the pan.

It was lovely and felt like a win for trusting myself with how to make the sauce. Was thinking that sour orange juice would have been quite nice in that sauce as well.

Back