• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Alright....Got this from an old favourite restaurant. Nice 5 star dinner place and they had about a 40 seat lunch place in the back. Duck Gumbo, Smoked Salmon pizza, and their steak sandwich was to die for. The owner made enough money and f*cked off to retire in Barbados. Got this from the chef before they closed.

Black Bean Sauce (Pairs well with Steak - Tenderloin Preferred)

1 tsp Vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot minced
1 Tbsp Ginger minced
1/4 cup + 1Tbsp Fermented Black Beans
1 red finger chili, with seeds, minced
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp Corn Starch Mixed with 1 Tbsp Water
2 cilantro stems, finely chopped.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium/medium high heat. Add garlic, shallot, ginger and cook to brown/tender. Add black beans and chili, stir to incorporate. Add Soy Sauce, Rice Wine, water, and sugar. Stir and add cornstarch and cook for 1 minute (Should say to desired consistency. Thick enough to sit on the steak and not run all over the plate). Remove from heat and add cilantro.

Serve over sliced steak.

Nice recipe and you can dial up the heat if you want.

Waldorf Salad - version 7 zillion and 3 😉

Couple crisp tart & sweet apples 🍏 🍎 (Granny Smith & Fuji) small chop
Stalk of diced celery
As many red seedless grapes as I feel like cutting in half
Toasted pecans &/or walnuts
Lemon juice
Parsely
Mayo
Black pepper

- Core & chop the apples… immediately douse/toss with lemon juice.
- Dice the celery & cut the stupid grapes in half (you can tell I just love that part) & add to apples.
- add toasted nuts
- add parsely
- toss with enough Mayo to thoroughly cover
- let sit in fridge to meld for a few hours, ideally, or eat now with fresh cracked pepper over.

* Rotisserie chicken, tinned chicken, bbq chicken, cold leftover chicken, etc all goes smashingly tossed in… but if I’m doing the meat thing, my personal preference is a pork chop or lamb on the side, rather than mixed in. I like the contrast between hot & smokey, and cold & crisp; and 2 very different kinds of juicy happiness.

Last edited:
Pasta with tomato sauce perfumed with anchovies

In a good sauce pan.
Dice 2 garlic cloves, 2 shallots and 1 4 anchovie fillets (+/- 2 entire anchovies, round 10-15 grams). Fresh thyme and a laurel leaf. Place it all in the sauce pan in low heat with olive oil and a bit of the oil of the anchovies, bring it to colouration until the smell of anchovies is all over your house.

Meanwhile, peel and dice 250g of ripe tomatoes. Add it to the pan. Stir delicately. Raise the temperature until reaching simmering then lower it again.

Add 3 coffee spoons of capers and 3 coffee spoons of their juice.

Correct the seasoning with salt and tomato concentrate.

Let the entire sauce simmer while you bring the water of your pasta to boiling point, salted. Once boiling, place your pasta and let it cook until al dente.

Once it's reached take the water out and then place the sauce in the pasta with a very little water of the pasta left. Stir it well. Bring it to simmer quickly again. Turn off the fire. Let it sit, turning from time to time so the pasta soaks in the sauce and you can't see a very liquid bottom.

Serve with smoked salt, olive oil, pepper and basil.

This amount of sauce serves 4 portions of pasta, but you can make more sauce and in that case don't use the water from the pasta.

An alternative is also to add olives and or tuna to the sauce, with or without the anchovies. I tend to think the anchovies are nice on their own.

@Friday I had been looking for a chicken dish to cook, and remembered you posted a huluhuli chicken recipe. I made the marinade, I could eat that without the chicken, lol, feeding the masses at work for Sunday dinner tomorrow. I am also making the rice suggested in the recipe. I think I may pre bake the chicken for a bit, we have a charcoal barbecue, we can’t get propane tanks, and finish it on that. Honestly, charcoal tastes better provided you don’t accidentally turn it into blackened huluhuli chicken.

Honestly, charcoal tastes better provided you don’t accidentally turn it into blackened huluhuli chicken
So true!

But I’m also partial to BBQ’d chicken whether it’s “plain”, teriyaki, “tandoori” (I don’t own a tandoor, bbq is as close as I can get!), huli huli, asado…. Really… I think I could just keep going for almost everything chicken/ shrimp/ steak. 🤣

# Pulling up from a Bubba Gump boiled shrimp, baked shrimp, fricasseed shrimp, 3 hours later ….moment
🍤 🦐

Last edited:
Smoked ham shank minced over black eyed peas & cabbage.

Celery
Green Bell Pepper
Onion
Garlic
Bay leaf
Chicken stock
Smoked ham shank or ham hock(s)
Dried black eyed peas
Cabbage
(Optional) olive oil or butter
(Optional) rice

- Soak black eyed peas whilst you prep everything else.

- Holy Trinity+ (bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic) = chop half to go in later, and just thunk the other half in whole wih the shank to simmer in chicken stock. Those will melt away to nothing, or can be removed at the end.

- Place your shank/hocks in a pot and fill to covered with chicken stock.
- Add whole Trinity+
- Simmer until shank is fork tender, remove, and chop/mince
- Add chopped Trinity+ & soaked black eyed peas
- Simmer until peas are done (half an hour to an hour)

How long the shank or hocks take to get fork shreddable depends on a lotta factors. Mostly size. Anywhere from 1 hour to 6.

🥬 CABBAGE 🥬 I didn’t forget. I promise.
It can either go in your one pot with shank & Trinity & peas & chicken stock for the last half hour…. Or… you can sauté in olive oil / butter separately right before dishing up… or… you can simmer for half an hour in flavor, pull it, then sauté it.

Serve
- Black eyed peas, topped with minced shank, beside sautéed cabbage
- Bowl of mixed peas, shank, & cabbage.

Last edited:
BBQ Pineapple Teriyaki Meatballs ..is the goal!

1. Meatballs? Are a complicated pain in the tuchus for such a simple/lovely little food. I almost never make them to be eaten the same day, but make big batches of them to FREEZE in gallon ziplocks, and pour out however many my little heart desires for a quick/easy/amazing meal in minutes. Days/weeks/months later.

2. The only same-day meatballs I make are the kind that simmer in sauces (marinara, grape jelly & chili sauce, mushroom gravy, etc.) for hours after browning. These? Are NOT those meatballs.

BBQ Pineapple Teriyaki / Yakitori / Kalbi meatballs = It’s all a bit of an experiment, for me. Saw the Aidell’s & wanted <drool> But can’t have. So I figured I’d knock something together.

I’m going for less traditional teriyaki chicken sauciness and more WTF WOW WHAT?!? Of using the sauce to oomph it up, rather than star. If I didn’t have premade teriyaki sauce & tinned pineapple, I’d use Korean style bbq with Kiwi &/or Apple-Pear (asian pear, in some areas), because it’s closer to the yakitori (flame grilled Japanese street cart food) vibe I want.

In the spirit of experiment I’m doing 3 versions… Chicken, Chicken&Pork, Pork. I suspect the pork only version will need a bit of lemongrass & brown sugar, because pork often needs “help” to stand up against chicken in asian cooking. But I’m not doing that today. Unless I end up doing that today 😉 IE if the chicken & blended tester-balls are amazing (amaze-balls!) and the pork is …meh.

My fave way to do BBQ meatballs -in general- is to make, steam*, COOL to tighten up (usually overnight) sear over coals for a lil bit of char with another meal that rates using the bbq for more than the 3 minutes it takes to add some smokey-love, and then freeze to be heated up later. Which makes them perfect things to make the day before, finish off with whatever I’m actually eating the next day, and store for later meals/parties/potlucks/fits of laziness.

* Steaming BBQ-Balls works better than baking, because it leaves ALL the delicious browning, with little bits of charred areas, and tightening up, to the BBQ, and the smoke permeates the squelchy little boring steamed-balls better than tightly sealed already browned-balls. So for the happiest, juiciest, balls around??? 😃 Balls swimming in sauce -italian, Swedish, etc.- get baked then simmered; BBQ-balls get steamed, chilled, skewered, and thrown into the fires of hell to finish …in about a minute. (Yes. I’m having fun with that. Balls, balls, balls. I live with teenage boys. It’s a wonder I can still go out in public.).

3. Finally. The durn recipe 😉

Background Noise
- Bamboo Steamer
- Parchement paper circles
- Charcoal BBQ
- Soaked Bamboo Skewers
- Tinfoil pouches, if eating “today”

Meatballs
- Ground Meat (3 ways this go)
- Pineapple Chicken Jell-O (chicken bouillon, pineapple juice, gelatin)
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Chopped pineapple
- Soy Vay Island Teriyaki -or- Kalbi & Kiwi
- Ginger
- Garlic
- Green onion
- Bob’s Redmill Egg Replacer (or, you know, eggs. Apx 1 perLB/500g meat)

Method

(Ahead of time) - Bloom the gelatin in pineapple juice, add to simmering chicken stock, let cool/set in fridge whilst everything else that needs doing is doing. Once set, chop finely to be added to meat mixture.

- Mix Panko and finely chopped Pineapple together to soften the Panko.

- Mix ground meat, PC-jell-o, Pineapple+Panko, crushed ginger & garlic, green onion, & egg replacer. For a melt in your mouth &/or more crumbly meatball, mix as little as possible; for a bouncy bouncy tight meatball, mix the everlovin bejeebers out of it. Unless I’m making bouncy bouncy Vietnamese pho balls, or a meatball-meatloaf, I’m usually somewhere in the middle.

- Add in teriyaki or Kalbi in batches, to bring up to desired sauciness flavor, and either test mini-balls for flavoring / seasoning in the microwave or a quick steam. The texture will suck, but the flavor will be there, minus the smoke.

- Steam balls gently until interior temp is 180F for chicken & chicken blend, 150F for pork. Too hot/high/fast & instead of the collagen melting into the meat & Panko making it a juicy extravaganza? It will simply drain out of the balls, not a completely wasted effort, but nearing so.

- Cool balls on cookies sheets, and fridge overnight (or for at least a few hours) OR freeze solid, then leave out on counter to start defrosting on the outside. We want a nice bit of black char spots on about 1/3 of the ball, tight/browned surface to keep the juicy inside, and smokeyness from the BBQ. Not dry/drained/tough. Cold balls, or frozen in the Center, give a lot more control.

- Skewer -or grill pan- and sear/char the outsides in a very hot area of the BBQ.

- Cool & freeze for later, or warm up the rest of the way slowly -wrapped in a tinfoil pouch- in indirect heat.

IF COOKING FROM FROZEN … Defrost & either bake in oven, or nip into a tinfoil pouch to cook on indirect/low heat on the BBQ, or pile into a slow cooker with a lil extra sauce.

Last edited:
This is a great appetizer for barbecuing, home and away. Because the chicken is cooked you can do the prep, store, and then assemble and cook the next day too.

Grilled Quesadillas

3 cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
1/3 cup Sour Cream
2 tbsp Chili Sauce
1 2/3 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese
1 - 2 tbsp Sliced Pickled Jalapenos, Drained Chopped (Feel free to modify for your tastes)
3 tbsp chopped green onions
2 tbsp fresh or 1 1/2 tbsp dried Parsley
4 10" tortillas
Optional 2 fresh seeded chopped tomatoes
Cooking oil

Simple way to cook chicken is to poach it. Fill a frying pan 3/4 full of water and heat to boiling. Add chicken. Salt to taste. Boil until the internal temp is 165 F.
Use a couple forks, one to hold the chicken and one to shred the chicken.
My original say to mix the chicken, sour cream and chili sauce and spread on the tortillas, then layer on the other toppings.
I found out its way easier to mix it ALL together, then spread it on 1/2 of each tortilla and fold closed. {It doesn't fall apart if you do it that way}

Get the grill heated up and before you put them on the grill lightly brush with oil. Cook until they are hot, crisp, and you have some nice grill marks. Remove, cut them up and eat.
Tomatoes are optional as I found they tend to juice and make things soggy.

Back