• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Flautas

I never make a whole helluva lotta these… usually just 40-50, depending on how many tortillas come per package. (As opposed to when I make tamales, and make several hundred a batch; because tamales are super obnoxious to make, whether you’re making 20, 200, or 2,000; but flautas are fast & easy.).

I use the “toasting” (No toasters involved) method most often (to toast/freeze/bake later), but if I’m hungry right durn now?!? (Feeeed me Seymore!) I’ll shallow fry them. The biggest difference between toasting and shallow frying is the amount of oil. To toast the tortillas and set the shape / add oil before freezing? It’s only a couple teaspoons. To shallow fry & cook through? It’s a solid centimeter / a cup of oil, or more.

CarlsbadCravings does a great job at giving a basic recipe, a good look at all the wild variations, and multiple cooking methods. (Toasting, shallowfrying, deep frying, air frying, baking, etc.).

^^^^ Speaking of wild variation ^^^

I have also, on occasion, made

Reuben Flautas;
- Swirled Rye tortillas
- Corned beef
- beer soaked sauerkraut
- avocado slices or cheese

Turkey Pesto Pickled/Veggie Flautas
- Flour tortillas
- What would otherwise go inside a sandwich

Chicken & Peppers, or Sausage & peppers

Et Cetera.

Most often I use Latin flavors &/or Latin leftovers rolled up & fried/frozen for later. But if I’m short on bread, for any reason? What I’d otherwise put in a toasted sammie is also damn delicious rolled up in a tortilla and fried.

Not-Pizza Bites

(still tastes like pizza, and hits the craving button, even without the bread & cheese!)

- Button Mushrooms (white or baby portobello)
- Marinara
- Italian Sausage
- Olive oil

Preheat oven to 400F/200C

Drizzle olive oil across a cookie sheet.

Stem mushrooms, add a little dollup or marinara to each, then stuff with sausage (a melon-baller works awesome for this), and place on oiled cookie sheet. Bake until sausage temps at 150F/65C. Cooking times vary a lot depending on size of mushrooms and how big your sausage balls are. Bite size is usually 10-15. 2 bite 15-25.

I made this for Sunday dinner along with the coconut rice from the same site. Stupid easy, smelled awful while cooking, but has been one of the biggest hits amongst my work buddies. I cooked it all the way until the caramelization process, froze it, then reheated up here and caramelized the pork. So. Damn. good. As was the coconut rice.

Salmon Chowder …w/ Bacon, Jalapeño, & Corn!!! (giant handful topping).

My salmon chowder is reeeeally simple (celery, onions, olive oil, chicken stock, white potatoes, cashew cream, salmon, salt & pepper) that I usually hit with some fresh lemon juice and maybe some watercress or chives/dill at the end to brighten it up… but???

I stumbled across this recipe below… and wih the exception that I’m just doing a quick pan fry of the bacon, jalapeños, & corn to top rather than cook in …am just about over the moon. Never woulda thunk of it! 🤩

salmon-chowder-14.jpg

Last edited:
Latest favourite dhal recipe. Wasn't expecting very much of it but so delish. I like the mix of mung & red lentils too.

Only thing I changed was cooking the onions for longer before adding other ingredients and I didn't make chapatis.

Actually, I added ground coriander & a pinch of asafoetida

Last edited:
Summer stuff, Not a recipe for making food but since it's grilling time in the nothern hemisphere:

Better then A1 Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
4 medium Garlic Cloves minced or pressed
2 Tablespoons Minced Chives
1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Pepper

2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar

Mix everything EXCEPT the vinegar together in a small bowl.
Take out 1/4 cup of marinade, add vinegar and set aside.

Put steaks and marinade in a zip lock and put in the fridge for 1/2 hour. Turn bag and steaks and let marinate another 1/2 hour.

Remove steaks and dispose of marinade. Cook steaks to desired doneness.

Transfer steaks to shallow pan and pour reserved marinade over steaks, tent with foil and let steaks rest 5 minutes, flip and let rest 5 more minutes.

Eat....

There are a couple variations to this which I will post as well....

Southeast Asian Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons red curry paste
2 Tablespoons Grated Ginger
4 Cloves garlic, pressed or minced

2 Tablespoons Lime Juice

Same as A1 except add the Lime Juice to the reserved marinade.

Mole Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 Chipotle Chilies in Adobo sauce minced
4 Teaspoons Coco powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons dried Oregano
4 medium garlic cloves minced or pressed
1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper

2 tablespoons lime juice

Same as A1, and add the lime juice to the reserved marinade

Back