• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Every once in a while....and for an easy pot luck or sharing dish....

Deviled Eggs (1 dozen boiled eggs)
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1 TBSP Yellow Mustard
2 TBSP Sweet Green Relish
1 TBSP Minced Onion
1 TBSP Minced Celery
1/4 teaspoon each Salt and Pepper

Add egg yolks and I use a fork to mash and mix until smooth then pipe into eggs. Don't have piping bags and nozzles? Use a clean plastic bag, fill it and then cut one corner off so you have a roughly 1/4" hole to squeeze the mix out.

Red Hot Buffalo Deviled Eggs (1 dozen boiled eggs)

3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
3 Tbsp Sour Cream
1 Tbsp Franks Redhot Buffalo Wing Sauce
2 Tbsp crumbled Blue Cheese
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp Celery salt (sub table salt)

Topping
1/3 Cup fine chopped celery
2 Tablespoons Franks RedHot Buffalo Wing sauce
24 Celery leaves

Add the egg yolks and ingredients (except topping) to a bowl and mash with a fork or use a mixer to beat until smooth.
Pipe or spoon into eggs.

Mix the Topping sauce and celery in a bowl until well coated. Spoon about 1 tsp on top of each egg and if you feel like being fancy stick a small celery leaf in as garnish.

One last one....

Wasabi Deviled Eggs (1 dozen boiled eggs)

6 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Wasabi Paste (or 1 tablespoon wasabi powder mixed with 1 tbsp water)
2 Tbsp thinly slices green onion
2 Tbsp very finely diced English cucumber

24 Wasabi Peas for Garnish

Add ingredients and egg yolks to a bowl. Mash whip beat whatever makes you happy until smooth, Pipe into eggs, garnish.

The little one requested perogies and Christina Tosi’s Birthday Cake for her belated birthday. The Grandson loves my brownies, he is not a cake lover. While the first two are labour intensive, the brownies are Costco’s Ghiradelli. I cannot make them as good as those. I use coffee instead of water and add some nuts and extra chocolate chips. Already getting a head start on the onions and the slab bacon bits. Smells delish in here. Jerk chicken for me for dinner tonight with a kale salad in a bag.

Kidlet sitting over the past couple of days. Spaghetti sauce from scratch. One of those things that is never the same way twice. Also, featballs, aka fake meat balls, so the vegetarian daughter can eat leftovers. I was surprised how well they turned out, used Beyond Meat ground, grated an onion, garlic parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, S and P, an egg, and panko crumbs cuz that was what was in the Bean’s house. Made them small and fried in a lick of EVOO in the cast iron pan, they cooked beautifully, then let them simmer in the sauce for a half hour. They were lovely and juicy.

Friend got one of these with their quarter cow purchase and passed hard… since I have a FEW badass recipe for hearts? Mine! I’ll take it! Mine, mine, mine!

I’m debating about keeping secret this, and other recipes, from them… simply for the free supply a few times a year. But I’ll prolly fold and tip them off by giving them a skewer / plate as a ta muchly.

Seeeeeeriously…. Anything whose best substitution is “flatiron steak”… is going to be badass.

For the holidays. Simple recipe since you can make the sauce a day ahead and then chuck it in a slow cooker on the day.

Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole

1 cup canned fried onions
3 TBSP Butter
10 ounces Crimini or white mushrooms cut into 1/4" slices
salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 lbs Fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces (frozen won't work - they turn to mush)

Topping
2 slices hearty white bread
2 tbsp butter
2 cups fried onions

Pulse canned onions in food processor until finely ground, set aside.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper.
Cook until mushrooms release their liquid (abt 5 min.) Increase heat to medium high and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in Garlic and thyme - cook until fragrant.
Add flout and ground onions, cook until golden, about 1 minute.
Stir in broth and cream. Bring heat to medium low and simmer until thick and creamy - about 10 min.

You can stop here, cool the sauce and refrigerate overnight.

Add sauce and beans to slow cooker and cook on low 5-6 hours until beans are tender.

Pulse bread and butter in food processor until coarsly ground. Toast bred and onions over medium high heat until golden. Top beans and serve. (Can also be done ahead of time, but still need to be crisped again before topping.)

Minus the cooking. For cooking it’s a reverse sear at 225F / 105C until the internal temp is 125F / 50C (midrare) … then either run it under a broiler, throw it in a pan, flame it up on the grill.. whatever. Just for about 30-60 seconds a side.

@Friday I love trying new things and now I really want to try that recipe! On my list.

I bought pig snouts on a whim but haven’t found any recipes yet. Sadly I think I left them in the fridge too long, but they’re pretty inexpensive, so I’ll try again, maybe when I get the hearts. This store I go to even has pig uterus! Some day…

Anyway…. I had an AMAZING eggplant dish tonight! Made me sing! And easy easy.

Roasted Garlic Eggplant

Cut two eggplants in half lengthwise.
Score the flesh in crosshatches.
Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
Roast face down for 30-40 mins.
Turn face up and drizzle with a mixture of oil, garlic, and basil.
Dip in a mixture of yogurt, salt, dill, and lemon juice.

I used butter for my oil and lime instead of lemon. So good and comforting.

@Friday variety meats are seriously difficult—unless it’s foie gras, so I’ve heard! (I bet you’ve had it.)

I wonder if the secret is lots of the right spices and especially chiles and finished with strong herbs.

I like things like liver, kidney and heart, but I cannot fathom tripe brains et al. LOVE sweetbreads, they are a bit persnickety to cook with the soaking, I save them for eating out at seriously good restos. Pig uterus…? In a world where nothing should be wasted I suppose, and if I didn’t know what I was eating I think I could. This from a gal who willingly ate conch penis….minds out of the gutter now please…..

Back