• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Chicken or Fish Tacos

A quick lunch or dinner with a few cheats!

Frozen fish sticks or Chicken strips ( We like Gortons fish portions)- Cooked in the air fryer
Tortillas (Headed up, I use the stove top)

Vegetable Slaw (This is not seasoned)
I normally season this with salt, pepper, lime juice, mayo and some garlic. OR if I can't be bothered with that- Salt and pepper.

Possible toppings:
1 Lime
Cheese of choice
Peppers
Salsa
Ranch
sambal oelek

Assemble: Place cooked chicken or fish on the warmed up Tortilla. Top with slaw. I serve with the lime wedge, chesse, small amount of ranch and a side of sambal oelek.

My sister and I decided to go off the usual "turkey again" Easter menu......Beef stew this year.....recipe from Americas Test Kitchen, except I like to add a couple parsnips...

Redemption Sauce!
Reminds me I should make spaghetti sauce again one day. Haven't made it for a long time. Totally from scratch. Last time I made it my wife says "I'm going to warm some up for dinner - and turned the burner on high (under the big stock pot full....). No way to rescue burnt tomato based sauce........

What’s Easter dinner in your house
Usually there isn't one @Friday , but this time going by prices we had ham (7$/ kg, vs $38/kg for steak or roast), veggies, roasted tiny potatoes and a Thai Chilli salad. Am happy with anything, especially grilled, or Chinese or even KD which I've been craving, and ice cream too, or a HungryMan turkey dinner. Anything eaten in peace and goes down is good!

But my Absolute Favorite would be turkey, with a relatively simple home made dressing (with one Secret Ingredient 😎😊), esp sandwiches on white bread with dressing and a touch of light mayonaise that isn't strongly flavored. 😊😋

I think I will color a few eggs though. 😊🙃
Oh ya, didn't buy any- forgot, but I really like those Hot Cross Buns.

PS, Happy Easter!! 🐰🐣💝

I got the dessert this year, so Springtime Chiffon cake. My recipe was hand written by me on old computer printer paper from the hospital I worked at maybe 35 or 40 years ago, which means I called my Mom for it….and either she ”forgot” or purposely omitted a key ingredient…which she was known to do upon occasion, but I remember her putting it in, so the cake will be at its best.

Steak & Pepper Soup/Stew

I make this something like 70,000 different ways. Today’s version?

Olive oil
Salt&PepperBlend
Red & Yellow Onions
Celery
Garlic
Pomi chopped tomatoes
Red bell peppers
Green bell peppers
Poblano peppers
Herdez salsa ranchera
Herdez fire roasted salsa verde
Beef ‘better than bouillon’
Flank steak
Fire roasted corn/bacon/jalapeño/cilantro/green onions

Everything EXCEPT the flank steak and corn/bacon/jalapeño in the pot to simmer for about 3 hours. Add steak, sliced/chopped for the last hour. Top with smokey bacony spicy sweet goodness.

I got a deep fryer awhile back (and have been BLISSING out, eating foods I haven’t had in 5+ years, because allergies)

…and am currently working on deep fried chicken.

Even plain? Is still delightful. All glossy and wonderful.

But, clearly, there are amaaaaazing battered & fried versions out there that we shall aspire to. Churches? Popeyes? I’m looking at YOU. (Also 1980s KFC. But something terrible happened in the 90s. Maybe they stopped using Unicorns & Virgins. IDK. But Churches & Popeyes are still knee melting.).

I’m currently experimenting with 1/2 & 1/2 pepperman & old bay + dill & sage marinated in oat milk, with tempura & masa batter, in peanut oil.

Anyone have a fried chicken batter they adore? Or are working on?

ETA half old bay is waaaaaaay too much! Unless you’re my kid. Who then shakes oldbay over the end result 🤣

Similarly, the tempura only batter gets waaaaaay too dark. Next time Imma add some masa/cornmeal to see if we can lighten things up.

Last edited:
So my region always has this brief little ‘door into summer’ for about a week in the end of April… and then it’s right back to 40-50F 5-10C until early to mid July… unlike the majority of the county who hit summer weather in May. Mountains, oceans, arctic currents, winds off glaciers, and a rain forest (of the c-c-cold kind) make it a cold damp place to live.

Which means that YESTERDAY was a summer foodapalooza with the deep fryer & BBQ running outside, and whilst I’m tempted to lie like a rug, there was nooooooo even small semblance of portion control. I ate enough to keep a hockey team fed for a week.

Today? We need something light.

Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes

- Campari tomatoes, or small romas, with the top cut off. Pulp removed and added to blender. Salt tomato “shells” and set cut side down on paper towels.

Whirl in blender until smooth the following
- tomato flesh saved from above
- 7 Oz tinned tuna packed in olive oil, drained.
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 TB capers, drained & rinsed
- Scant 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 TB chopped flat leaf parsley
- 5 or 6 chives, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon, strained
- Salt & Pepper to taste

Garnish
- Fresh Basil Leaves

Fill pastry bag, or ziplock bag with corner nipped off, with tuna mousse/blend/substance/mixture. Pipe into tomatoes, and add basil to top. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.

Ah! SUMMER food. 😎

Back