• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Do Your Panic Attacks Look Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I believe to be a panick attack for me is when I lay in bed to sleep and out of nowhere I feel like I'm about to die right there and I start having major problems trying to breathe, like a severe asthmatic. For me, since my asthma isn't severe, this is way worse than that. I would even say THE worse symptom I experience. Most of the time I really don't care if I live or die until this sort of thing happens to me, then I feel like I am in for the fight of my life and I want to live... maybe its a reminder from my subconscious to live again because it just happens unexpectedly to me. Maybe its because of a realization of how far my physical health has deteriorated since Iraq.

eek!

Panic attack.. I thought I was seriously dying the first time I had one. OMG.. seems like I've kept them pretty much at bay by breathing and removing myself from whatever/wherever it is thats causing it. This past week though has been the worst yet.. Every moment of the last week I've spent trying to keep that familiar thumping in my chest away.. shallow breathing.. fear.. uggh.. I've been sleeping too much.. thats the only way to cope, (or not cope I guess) Hey.. if I'm asleep, I cant feel anything.. Hah!! :loopy:

I try and not show that I'm panicing. Takes a very observant person to pick up on it.

I feel like I can't breath, my vision kind of tunnels, I start shaking. My heart pounds, mouth goes dry

Sometimes I'll cry, I sweat uncontrollably, cold sweats mainly.
I fidget, tend to not be able to stand still. My hands and feet will jerk.
I go blank, I can hold conversations and not remember anything other then the fear.

Oh, and I talk a million billion miles an hour on three or four differant topics.

And Goddammit, running through the symptoms triggers.

i think i have learned to live like this for so long, how do you start to recognize things like this?

i have a hard time showing emotion and usually have a smile on my face etc, how do i begin to let someone into this relaity??? how do i begin to let MYSELF into this reality? i mean, have you learned to function right through it?
Jen, enjoyed reading your thread. It seems you've received a great deal of great response. Helps me too so much just to read it all. Like an 'in my face' reminder that I am not alone. Thank you for starting it, so many of us may not realize how much we help other people by risking just being ourselves.

Like you, I have learned to live with my chronic anxiety and the anxiety attacks which can and do sometimes suddenly escalate. I have learned many ways to manage generalized anxiety out of sheer necessity. I've found anxiety can land anywhere along a whole continuum of symptoms, with one end at mild at the other at most extreme. And, I've probably experienced it all along that stretch. One thing, I've learned is that 'anxiety attacks' are not permanent, and they have a beginning and an end...and times passes and then another...and another. Sometimes they're more frequent then others. What I do, whether mild or most embarrassing to me, when most obvious or disruptive is when I do finally get away, I recognize that I'm very ill, and practice forgiving myself for having this PTSD condition, and most of the time, no longer pay heed to my 'internal judge' and it's voice of shame and humiliation that tries hard to slam me with something else that will make me feel all the worse.

I smiled jen when you said you have a hard time showing emotion, me too. One thing that my husband, children and others always notice about me is that I could accidentally hurt the hell out of myself, and if anyone's around, I automat. respond as if not a damn thing has hurt me. Bending down once, and than standing up abruptly I slammed my head so hard on this X'tra large fire-exting., it hurt so f'n bad, and yet barely a peep came out of me, I quickly regained composer and just stuffed it, acting as if it never happened. jen, I do it with other emotions too, but getting better at being vulnerable.

Jen, most likely you're going to recognize much and begin to let others in to the true 'jen reality' all in time, all with willingness and practice, and in your own process of healing.

NO THERAPISTS FOR ME. i am open to insight from y'alls personal experiences though.
Now Jen, if I didn't know you typed that NO THERAPISTS FOR ME, I would have thought I had because OMG, how that expresses how I've thought over several yrs. now. My truth is I didn't really believe there was a single one out there capable of steering me along any process of healing and recovery. Feared they'd trap me in their system. I don't need any part of any system. However, now that I'm armed with much more insight on these possiblities, and refuse to budge and will remain my own best advocate, I'm actually considering looking and finding a therapist these days, maybe even a PTSD group, but not a one of them am I going to let relate to me in any off' way, or dupe me into any foolish nonsense whatsoever, which is another whole conversation.

Well, anyway jen, I'm just so glad you're here with us and we're hearing from you. **hugs for you, Jen**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back