• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Is Your Subjective Units Of Distress (suds) Rating Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

void

MyPTSD Pro
Self-awareness is critical to PTSD recovery.

Instead of being completely absorbed in our suffering it is helpful to learn to evaluate our subjective states.

"Here is one version of the scale:

10 = Feels unbearably bad, beside yourself, out of control as in a nervous breakdown, overwhelmed, at the end of your rope. You may feel so upset that you don't want to talk because you can't imagine how anyone could possibly understand your agitation.

9 = Feeling desperate. What most people call a 10 is actually a 9. Feeling extremely freaked out to the point that it almost feels unbearable and you are getting scared of what you might do. Feeling very, very bad, losing control of your emotions.

8 = Freaking out. The beginning of alienation.

7 = Starting to freak out, on the edge of some definitely bad feelings. You can maintain control with difficulty.

6 = Feeling bad to the point that you begin to think something ought to be done about the way you feel.

5 = Moderately upset, uncomfortable. Unpleasant feelings are still manageable with some effort.

4 = Somewhat upset to the point that you cannot easily ignore an unpleasant thought. You can handle it OK but don't feel good.

3 = Mildly upset. Worried, bothered to the point that you notice it.

2 = A little bit upset, but not noticeable unless you took care to pay attention to your feelings and then realize, "yes" there is something bothering me.

1 = No acute distress and feeling basically good. If you took special effort you might feel something unpleasant but not much.

0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue."
Source: Wikipedia

A: What is your SUDS rating right now?
B: What is your lowest SUDS rating in your life?
C: What is your highest SUDS rating in your life?

Feel free to record your SUDS in this thread as often as it is helpful, to track your status and training yourself to self-evaluate.

I used to use SUDS for EFT work. It actually is a really great idea to check in even if not in a therapy session.

Right now I am about a 2, although I used to register a 25 on an almost regular basis. I am heading to tennis so I am feeling a bit anxious .... a far cry from my anxiety pre-tennis even 3 weeks ago though.

Great thread.

A: What is your SUDS rating right now? I was 9/10 this morning, and I felt some feelings and I am a 3/4/5 now, which is quite remarkable given how bad I was feeling this morning. I did a bit of comfort eating, which is not the best, but I am getting more aware of this stuff.

B: What is your lowest SUDS rating in your life? I have been so dissociated, depersonalised and derealised for most of my life I don't know.

C: What is your highest SUDS rating in your life? I lived in 10 as a child, teenager and a lot of my adult life.

Last edited:
A: What is your SUDS rating right now?
B: What is your lowest SUDS rating in your life?
C: What is your highest SUDS rating in your life?
Now: 6
Life: 7-8
Highest: 10

Varies from 1-10 (or 25) from hour to hour. Minute to minute. Depends on which part I'm in. And, of course, how dissociated I am from my body, my emotions, and my SELF. That is what makes it so hard to rank the "NOW" because the "NOW" changes from moment to moment.

Thanks for sharing this scale. It is very helpful. If I had a printer, I would print it out. I think I will copy it to my diary instead.

Self-awareness is critical to PTSD recovery.

Instead of being completely absorbed in our suffering it is he...

I am at a 10 currently. My son decided today he No longer wants to live with me and I can't blame him. I'm honestly at a lose for everything right now....words, feelings, emotions....not sure where I'm headed but not good!

Hard to answer neatly because I relate well to 10, as described, though am doing just fine at work (with some meds)...the structure of work, and that I like my work, makes it like my safe place. Beyond that, I'm feeling disconnected, lost and unreal and like I don't recognize myself, a little self destructive and self-harming. I feel like I'm on the verge of losing it. But I'm not getting drunk.

Lifetime I've been anywhere between 0 and 10 on this sort of scale.

A:6 now
B:4 rarely
C:10 ....sigh....long portions of my life

and as for "0 = Peace, serenity, total relief. No more anxiety of any kind about any particular issue" .....I cannot even imagine this state nor do I believe I will ever experience it.

I no more understand it than a born-blind man can understand color.

May all of you one day experience peace.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back