News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Lionheart

Sponsor
I am scheduled for my second vaccination on the 26th. The first round was no big deal, just some soreness in my arm near the injection site and I felt tired....but I feel tired a lot of the time so that may not have been the vaccine. I am happy to be getting the vaccine, what a blessing. I hope to get to visit with my grandson in the weeks to come.

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
Florida apparently decreased the required age to 16 but what's the point? No Publix, Sam's clab, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, has any appointments in the entire Orlando Metro area. The only appointment I could find was a Sam's Club in Gainsville. Not driving 100 miles and across the state to get a Covid vaccine with a car that will break down at any time. Also none at Advent Health and Orlando Health says they will contact patients if they qualify for an appointment. They have drive thru sites but they are only open for like an hour on a specific day. Organizing that with my schedule is like impossible! f*ck!

ladee

MyPTSD Pro
Give the processing time @lostforgottensoul. Get on as many lists as you can and check your email every day. It started slowly here in Texas. I only signed up for two and got notified by a network that handles different counties. They got my name off of one of the ones I signed up for.

I got my second shot today. If you are lucky the place they do the vaccinations will run as smoothly and timely as the one I went to. Many volunteers, Army Reserve and nurses from all over Texas. Ten minutes from the time you walk into the door and get your shot. Wait 15 minutes for any reaction and then you are out of there.

Just give it time. I've had emails from about five other places since I got my first shot, so they are still sending notices of what is available. So I'm done with it now. So far no reactions or side effects either time.

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
Biden is pushing up the eligibility date by 2 weeks! What is the point given that they are vaccinating as fast as they can, and people are already having to wait to get a jab? I’m worried that things are going to get pushed too quickly (so he can look good? IDK.) The rollout seems to be going well, but demand is still higher than supply of vaccines. Why push so hard? Vulnerable people ie the elderly and the poor who don’t have transportation or access to a computer will miss out. 🙁

Friday

Why push so hard?
What I’ve heard... For all the states (38 at last count) like mine whose pre-existing pulmonary condition people are/were SUPPOSED to qualify, regardless of age, in the first round after police/fire/ems/medical; but the software they bought doesn’t allow anyone below the age range to get an appointment. It’s been a screaming shit show for kids/teens/youngish adults with asthma et al (et al = other pulmonary disorders except COPD??? What the ever lovin f*ck??? 1 pulmonary condition out of roughly 80??? Who the hell wrote this software???) who live in states who bought & use that software.

It wasn’t a ginormous problem as many hospitals were running a “private” vaccine list for their high risk patients who did qualify, but couldn’t get appointments because they were not “old enough” for the software to clear them. Because many were ALSO using that list for preferential treatment for 10k + donors? ((Which has been cracked down hard on, nationwide)) The private lists were almost universally shut down. So, rather en masse, doctors, hospitals, and insurance companies -and their lobbiests- have been screaming at every aspect of govt. to get their pulmonary patients access. And the govts response was basically? WTF??? They DO have access. Oh. Oh, our bad.

I hear, it’s less expensive to move up the date than fix the software.

Also, that a lot of the “no appt avail” is because hospitals set aside blocks for pulmonary patients. If you have asthma, RAD, CF, pneumonia, etc.? Try calling the local hospital directly, or have your doctor book for you.

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
@Friday

ahhh. In my state, COPD was the only respiratory condition that qualified one as “high risk”. In fact we only had 5 (!) conditions that qualified one as being high risk.

I was mad, as I have an asthma diagnosis. Granted, it is not severe, but I sat here and though “what about people with severe asthma?!” I’ve been to the ER with breathing problems so I can’t imagine the panic they are going through.

And then my mom said I qualified early as someone who is part of the disabled population. I said “HOW?!?” I mean I’ve been through the list of various populations and when they qualify, as laid out on my state’s website, but I didn’t fit in anywhere. But, our local newspaper had a more detailed list. Go figure.

But as you explain it, it all makes sense. I still feel worried that certain populations will fall through the cracks.

And, I’m extremely grateful for getting an end of the day leftover vaccine just for being at the right place at the right time.

Friday

In a game of political shenanigans... the local city council? Has decided to cut FireFighters salaries by 12%.

Yep.

In the middle of a morherf*cking pandemic. Stupid at any time, but when these guys and gals have been working double shifts for the past year? Exposing themselves thousands upon thousands of times prevaccine? Standing out in the rain 15 hours to mass-vax people in warm dry cars on their “off” days? Oh yeah. They’re working twice the hours, with risk up to their eyeballs, for half the pay already. Let’s CUT their salary, and close a few houses to massage the city’s budget!!! GREAT IDEA. 😡

Oh.... The city council don’t actually have the power to DO that... The fire district has total control over the fire budget and allocation of resources. So the f*cktard morons at the city council have put it to the ballot. To merge the districts involved and transfer their budget to the city to oversee. Phrased in the inimitable way our area has of -Do we vote yes if we want it to pass, and no if we don’t -or- yes if we don’t want it to pass, no if we do???- thay could make “are you white enough to vote” tests from the 1800’s look like they just reeeeeally weren’t even trying.

Our local boys & girls in blue get on better with fire/ems here, than in most places. I hear tell the city council is having a rather alarming amount of difficulty with their cars. Specifically, in making them get from point A to point B without getting a ticket.

Even so, it’s in the hands of the voters now... and the people who write the ballots. God save us all. (Because emergency services won’t be there!)

Last edited:

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
I wonder if Walgreens is going to give me trouble about my service dog when I go to get the vaccine. He's coming with me. No question. Just don't know if they will give me issues cause of him. They can't legally refuse a vaccine cause I have a service dog can they?

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
Got my Covid vaccine this morning. No side effects yet. Only been a few hours. They didn't have an issue with my service dog. They just took me into a doctor like office that Walgreens has in the pharmacy area. Took about 15 mins to take me in and a few mins to give me the shot. Made sure I stayed in the store for 15 addtional mins. They gave me a thing like you get a prescription that said Covid vaccine. They wanted my insurance info tho and the government site said they wouldn't need that. They said it was just to verify that I have insurance? Anyway, done! And only need one shot for this type! Yay!