• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

10 primary cognitive distortions (negative thinking styles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@joeylittle I am sorry I was not aware of this.

@anthony I understand the term cognitive distortion is an agreed upon term in the field of psychology/psychiatry, and carries a definition in itself. However, if you would ask me to write an article like the above, I would still use references. The person who wrote it, did take the info from a certain source. Something can be authoritative, but still needs references IMHO.

I wrote the article, and I chose not to include the source for cognitive distortion, due to my reasoning above. I wrote the cPTSD article as well... though provided sources inline due to the technical nature of the topic, which isn't individual or such, as this one is.

Amazing incredible well written article! Thank you so so much! I love how you say that in order for this 'technique' to be effective you have to know your distortions the way you know your phone number...

I've read this article a dozen times today already it's been sooo helpful I can't tell you how much it's helped me today alone... and I really hesitate to ask this... I'm a member of a Facebook ptsd support group and there are a bunch of members there that would really benifit from this article.... Is there any way I could ask to share this article with them please?

Bumped into this today... so here's a share http://www.vdare.com/posts/jonathan...ess-what-trigger-warnings-do-to-student-minds

In which they indicate a partial list of 12... haven't researched the entire list yet but am intrigued:

Common Cognitive Distortions

A partial list from Robert L. Leahy, Stephen J. F. Holland, and Lata K. McGinn’s Treatment Plans and Interventions for Depression and Anxiety Disorders (2012).

1. Mind reading. You assume that you know what people think without having sufficient evidence of their thoughts. “He thinks I’m a loser.”

2. Fortune-telling. You predict the future negatively: things will get worse, or there is danger ahead. “I’ll fail that exam,” or “I won’t get the job.”

3. Catastrophizing.You believe that what has happened or will happen will be so awful and unbearable that you won’t be able to stand it. “It would be terrible if I failed.”

4. Labeling. You assign global negative traits to yourself and others. “I’m undesirable,” or “He’s a rotten person.”

5. Discounting positives. You claim that the positive things you or others do are trivial. “That’s what wives are supposed to do—so it doesn’t count when she’s nice to me,” or “Those successes were easy, so they don’t matter.”

6. Negative filtering. You focus almost exclusively on the negatives and seldom notice the positives. “Look at all of the people who don’t like me.”

7. Overgeneralizing. You perceive a global pattern of negatives on the basis of a single incident. “This generally happens to me. I seem to fail at a lot of things.”

8. Dichotomous thinking. You view events or people in all-or-nothing terms. “I get rejected by everyone,” or “It was a complete waste of time.”

9. Blaming. You focus on the other person as the source of your negative feelings, and you refuse to take responsibility for changing yourself. “She’s to blame for the way I feel now,” or “My parents caused all my problems.”

10. What if? You keep asking a series of questions about “what if” something happens, and you fail to be satisfied with any of the answers. “Yeah, but what if I get anxious?,” or “What if I can’t catch my breath?”

11. Emotional reasoning. You let your feelings guide your interpretation of reality. “I feel depressed; therefore, my marriage is not working out.”

12. Inability to disconfirm. You reject any evidence or arguments that might contradict your negative thoughts. For example, when you have the thought I’m unlovable, you reject as irrelevant any evidence that people like you. Consequently, your thought cannot be refuted. “That’s not the real issue. There are deeper problems. There are other factors.”

... granted these are encapsulated to a degree in the original 10... but am intrigued about the suggestion of the article's suggestion about this being a partial list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back