• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anxiety Medications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone receiving anxiety medication that actually works to relieve your anxiety?

If so, please share with me which medication and dosage you are taking.

I've not had anything that has helped me, except for one time when I was prescribed low dose Ativan/lorazepam. However, that was a one-time thing and before and after all doctors would prescribe is Atarax / Vistaril which I have been telling doctors for years does not work for me.

I have intense anxiety and panic attacks and need some relief. I see my new psychiatrist tomorrow maybe he will prescribe something different for me. Anyway, I would still like to hear about what works for you.

Thanks in advance,
Lionheart
Hi, buspiron is helping me, I didn’t think it was, bit it does call me, I’ve had some really rocky times lately, I’ve been working, running, with my sons and that’s it, I’ve avoided lots of people, the people I support I get on better with than anyone right now:)

I have been taking 75 mg of Effexor for panic and anxiety and it seems to be helping me. My doctor thinks I may need a higher dose, but whatever, I am just happy to have something that seems to be working to keep my anxiety levels down to a more normal range. I have panic attacks associated with travel and I used to get freaked out as soon as the car began to move and I would be hanging on for dear life before getting out of the parking lot. I am no longer doing that, I am more relaxed and less afraid.

I have been taking 75 mg of Effexor for panic and anxiety and it seems to be helping me. My doctor thinks I may need a higher dose, but whatever, I am just happy to have something that seems to be working to keep my anxiety levels down to a more normal range. I have panic attacks associated with travel and I used to get freaked out as soon as the car began to move and I would be hanging on for dear life before getting out of the parking lot. I am no longer doing that, I am more relaxed and less afraid.
I had a panic attack every time I drove on motorway, I could not feel my hands, I felt dizzy, it was worse when my son or someone else was in the car, I think it was because I feared for them, now I’m driving back on motorways, I’m facing a lot of fears head on, I hope you are ok:), I know how you feel✌🏽

Thank you @StormFront I used to take clonazepam, but like I said I have really only had success with Ativan, perhaps I can ask the psychiatrist for 1mg tabs of Ativan to be taken on an as-needed basis. I will see if he will go for that when I see him next. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
I take Ataivan ....as needed for bad anxiety during the day and in limited quantity, and to get me to sleep on a really bad night when I'm just toasted. Hydroxyzine (it is an antihistimine)..plus maximum magnesium ..is another alternative -Hydroxizine/magnesium will knock me out and I'll sleep all night

I like Ativan, had it once in the past and it was really helpful. I do take Hydroxyzine (Atarax) daily to help with anxiety but it has a limited effect on me for some odd reason.

Have you tried higher doze magnesium coupled with the Hydroxyzine at night for sleep?
No, I have not. I have been taking the hydroxyzine 3 times per day (morn. noon and night), along with Effexor once per day for panic and anxiety. I recently found out that I am low in Vitamin D and vitamin B-12 so I am receiving those supplements and my sleep is already improving and I believe it has just been 3 weeks. I will however ask my Psychiatrist about taking the Magnesium along with hydroxyzine at night for insomnia. Thank you for mentioning it, I have been struggling with insomnia for years.

No, I have not. I have been taking the hydroxyzine 3 times per day (morn. noon and night), along with Effexor once per day for panic and anxiety. I recently found out that I am low in Vitamin D and vitamin B-12 so I am receiving those supplements and my sleep is already improving and I believe it has just been 3 weeks. I will however ask my Psychiatrist about taking the Magnesium along with hydroxyzine at night for insomnia. Thank you for mentioning it, I have been struggling with insomnia for years.
I battle with low B-12, and that can seriously impact everything from sleeping to memory to energy. I also struggle with vitamin D deficiency, and when I'm not vigilent, I can tell....more aches and pains. Yeah....keeping the vitamins going is essential to feeling top notch for the body you are in.

I do take Hydroxyzine (Atarax) daily to help with anxiety but it has a limited effect on me for some odd reason.
Hydroxyzine can have the oh so cheerful side effect of repressing breathing to various degrees. It’s a rare side effect UNLESS you already have pulmonary issues, then it becomes really common according to my pulmonologist. It shuts my breath response off entirely, so I can’t take it at all unless I’m intubated, but for people that it merely represses breathing / lowering o2 sats? A common side effect to that is increased anxiety. Depends on how low your o2 saturation goes. If you have supplemental o2? Try jacking the setting up a couple liters to account for increased anxiety from a lower pulse ox. Because taking something that lowers your overall anxiety isn’t going to help much, if anxiety A is simply being replaced by anxiety B.

As always, not a doc, check with your own doc before doin things like messing with your o2 tanks unless you have their go ahead to adjust liters as needed, etc.

Hydroxyzine can have the oh so cheerful side effect of repressing breathing to various degrees. It’s a rare side effect UNLESS you already have pulmonary issues, then it becomes really common according to my pulmonologist. It shuts my breath response off entirely, so I can’t take it at all unless I’m intubated, but for people that it merely represses breathing / lowering o2 sats? A common side effect to that is increased anxiety. Depends on how low your o2 saturation goes. If you have supplemental o2? Try jacking the setting up a couple liters to account for increased anxiety from a lower pulse ox. Because taking something that lowers your overall anxiety isn’t going to help much, if anxiety A is simply being replaced by anxiety B.

As always, not a doc, check with your own doc before doin things like messing with your o2 tanks unless you have their go ahead to adjust liters as needed, etc.
I haven't noticed this issue. However, it might be very relevant for someone taking it multiple times per day. I can piggy back on the warning....if you broke your nose and had surgery, taking hydroxizine dries up your already impaired mucus membranes.......and for sensitive folks, can create havoc with your sinuses.

Anyone receiving anxiety medication that actually works to relieve your anxiety?

If so, please share with me which medication and dosage you are taking.

I've not had anything that has helped me, except for one time when I was prescribed low dose Ativan/lorazepam. However, that was a one-time thing and before and after all doctors would prescribe is Atarax / Vistaril which I have been telling doctors for years does not work for me.

I have intense anxiety and panic attacks and need some relief. I see my new psychiatrist tomorrow maybe he will prescribe something different for me. Anyway, I would still like to hear about what works for you.

Thanks in advance,
Lionheart
I am so sorry to hear you too are dealing with this horrible disorder. I have battled with anxiety since the late 90's. My first panic attack was while I was sitting at a traffic light coming home from work. The symptoms came out of the blue but I don't need to tell you how horrible they are and how scared one feels when it's happening. For me, I was a nurse and yes my job was pretty hectic and stressful depending on the day but I loved what I did. Well, within a few weeks, it became hard to even drive myself to work. I related driving to having had that panic attack and before long, I had to quit being a nurse and became an isolated person, who needed to be driven everywhere and other than doctor appointments, grocery shopping and caring for my husband with some health issues and trying to be of help to my Mom who had extreme depression, my love of nursing was gone.
Anyway, I too have been given different medications over the years for my anxiety. Let me tell you the worst was Valium. I do believe my body got used to it and one day when I was especially anxious, I ended up taking 100 mg. of it and it never did a thing. When I mentioned this to my husband, he immediately called my doctor and told him. My doctor wanted me to go to the ER but I refused and stayed awake until around 2 am. Nothing ever happened, I never even got sleepy. So weird. After that I was given Ativan, I I felt it really helped calm me down but my doctor didn't allow me to stay on it for long. After that I found a new doctor and was given Clonazapam which I still take today. I have a 1 mg. tablet which I can take 3 times a day but normally I can get away with only taking half that amount and I do ok. Now not sure if it would help you but it is worth a shot. Also I've tried taking CBD oil. It does help a little but everyone is different and you have to find the right one for you, which can be pricey. My thoughts are with you as you struggle with this battle. My Mom had anxiety too but I never truly understood how bad it made her feel and I am so sorry that I didn't try to understand at the time. Do let us know how you are doing and if you found a medication that is working. Do try and find things that distract you. I know with myself as I always wake at 5:30 am everyday. I would love to be able to sleep in but can't; my mind starts thinking about everything and I soon start feeling the anxiety building so I have to get up. It is then that I get onto my laptop and read emails and news and play silly games on Facebook, it helps. God bless you....this year especially hasn't helped people like us as we try to deal with this virus and never being able to not be worried about going out. I order my groceries online and then can go and pick them up at the store. I won't go in and haven't in a few months. Christmas will be very lonely this year, I am sending money to my kids since shopping in a Mall or anywhere else is out of the question. I am also a widow now too so my days are so long. My adult kids don't live close by either and even if they did, they wouldn't come to visit for fear of the virus. May this new year approaching be a huge improvement for us all.

I am checking out responses and gearing up for dinner, but I wanted to drop in and let you know that I seem to be getting help with 75 mg of Effexor and 3 times a day of hydroxyzine. the combination seems to help, but I think the Effexor needs to be increased and so I believe does my psychiatrist. Anyway, thank you for your response and for sharing a bit of your story. I too, like you, hope this new year brings us all better and happier things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back