1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Anyone have experience with underwater body recovery??

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by scubarr, Jan 8, 2018.

1. zebbidee

zebbidee Active Member

glad to hear it tim. it might get harder before it gets easier but hang in there! its worth it. what type of therapy are you doing?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. CyclePath

CyclePath Well-Known Member

You know there's brilliance in the basics. Please put me on the distro list when you guys crack the code for this one...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2018
  4. Tim_Holgate

Tim_Holgate Member

CBT, as well as an indefinite course of paroxetine

blackemerald1 and zebbidee like this.
  5. Elmez

Elmez New Member

My experience comes back to visit also. I had to free dive for a kid that was thrown from a jet ski. Due to the circumstances, I tried to find him for an hour until the dive team arrived. What has helped you?

6. Tim_Holgate

Tim_Holgate Member

Just talking about it really does help me deal with it. I've tried returning to the same caves (that was a very bad idea), I've started therapy. Paroxetine seems to be working as well.

Elmez likes this.
  7. CyclePath

CyclePath Well-Known Member

Talking about it certainly helps and here you know that you're not alone in this struggle. I have a lot of friends that worked the TWA Flight 800 mission. They deal with it too. Remember that this is a normal response to an abnormal situation. I've found that most folks do kinda understand or at least try to.

I also find that I often need to give myself more leeway in cutting myself some slack (time/patience).

blackemerald1, Elmez and Tim_Holgate like this.
  8. Tim_Holgate

Tim_Holgate Member

@CyclePath I struck lucky in that most of my work mates completely understood. Can't talk about it to many other people though.

blackemerald1 and CyclePath like this.
  9. Elmez

Elmez New Member

@Tim_Holgate the "sharing" part of the experience is bothersome. Most people try to understand, they just don't get it. Glad to hear you have some mates to talk to

10. scubarr

scubarr New Member

For me, regular exercise, breathing/meditation, and reading. Right now I'm on Bessel van der Kolk, The body keeps score. It's helped a lot to help me understand a lot about my behaviour. It's also good to help understand how our minds work
    That all helps for the for the physical side, controlling, or trying to, my body, heart and breathing when things go really wrong. I've yet to find anything that can help with the imagery.

Elmez likes this.
  11. Elmez

Elmez New Member

@scubarr What a great book (the body keeps the score)so much of it really hits home. The understanding of why my behavior was so messed up (no excuse for it) helps tremendously with the regulation process. Also, naps and snacks help ease the day!

Show Sidebar